[SOLVED] Strange Overlay on Sculpted Accessories

Nadjanator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently purchased a hair corsage and a kimono with a sculpted flower on the obi. When I wear them, strange blue and red patterns appear overtop. Judging by the shop's previews, these patterns are supposed to be a glow effect.

Here are images of the hair corsage and the shop preview, for comparison:

glitchy.png

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NLOTUS-Corsage/2807212

I'm wondering if there's an issue with my Viewer settings or if the accessories use features that are no longer compatible with the Viewer. The hair corsage can't be modified, but I was able to edit the sculpted flower on the obi:

glitchy2.png

Short of replacing the texture entirely, would any of you have any suggestions on how to fix the accessories?

It looks like two identical objects are occupying the same space, and the two surfaces are both fighting to be seen. Does the surface appear to twinkle as you turn your view? Check that you aren't wearing two sets.

From the edit window in your screenshot, it appears that the flower on the obi is coloured red, yet most of the visible flower is pale pink, with a few patches of red showing through, I'm suspecting that the maker has overlaid two flowers, one red, one pink. Since the obi flower is mod, you may be able to edit one and remove it. If possible, play with a copy and keep the original to one side, intact. 

Since the hair accessory is no-mod, you are stuck with the makers choice. You could always contact the maker and see if she'll fix it for you.

Nadjanator wrote:

I'm wondering if there's an issue with my Viewer settings or if the accessories use features that are no longer compatible with the Viewer.

An easy way to find out is it your viewer which is causing this is to ask somebody else that do they see it the way you see it.  If they see it correctly as shown in the Marketplace picture, then your viewer has some setting on which causes the issue.

Sometimes viewer cache files can get corrupted which make some things not to appear correctly.  I recently had some cache files corrupted and it caused me to see the windshield on my motorboat to look broken.  Everybody else saw it correctly as un-broken.  Clearing my cache resolved the issue.

Tiffy and Coby, thank you both for your suggestions!

After clearing my cache and asking someone else if the overlay was showing up for her, I realized that the issue has to do with the object itself, so I tried fiddling around with a copy of the obi.

Increasing the transparency of the textures from 0% to 100% seems to have at least removed the noise:

fixed.png

I just contacted the maker. The hair corsage seems to be displaying normally for her (the blue and red patterns are supposed to be faint stripes that overlay the petals), but she very graciously gave me a modifiable copy. I'll fiddle around with it some more and see if I can get the overlay to work.

Thank you guys again for the help!

One thing came to my mind.  Because the designer sees the object correctly I think that there is nothing wrong with the object.

What you can check in your viewer is "Automatic Alpha Masks (non-deferred)".
Turn it on and off and see is there any difference how your object displays.

ScreenShot008.jpg

Check also that you have anti-aliasing on. Menu:

"Me, Preferences" ==> Graphics, Hardware

• Like 1

So I tried toggling the Automatic Alpha Masks and adjusting the Antialiasing as you suggested, and neither of those did the trick. However, while I was in the Hardware window, I tried turning on Anisotropic Filtering, and that completely fixed the issue.

Thank you so much, Coby. I never would have thought to check Hardware without your suggestion!

Nadjanator wrote:

. . . I tried turning on Anisotropic Filtering, and that completely fixed the issue.

Excellent Nadjanator, that you spotted what was causing the issue.

Now you can admire the object in its intended original beauty.

:smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.