Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sera Lok

LINDENS - SPEED UP THE MARKETPLACE!

Recommended Posts

i have a feeling this horrendous delyas on all the SL websites is also the reason my forum subscription email alerts are frequently stopping.  In the past week my email alerts from these forms have paused for several hours for the 3rd time (its happening to me again right now).

When I filed an unfair product review support ticket this afternoon - the submit process from the main SL website was just as slow as the MP website.

It seems to be all of SL's websites.  I suspect they must all be using the same farm of web servers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been working on improving the performance on Marketplace as quickly as possible. We have made some changes in search behavior which only Merchants will notice, which we have detailed on the wiki. We still have some work to do to continue improving performance, and we will do so as a top priority. We will be monitoring performance throughout the weekend.

We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

The Commerce Team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easily Solved - Just push back the deadline for eradicating the Magic Boxes and that way you will divert the stampede that you created which has almost ground the market place to a halt. The words Eat,  Humble and Pie come to mind !

PS why another 9 days (April 2nd) before you will even answers questions?

^L^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

We have been working on improving the performance on Marketplace as quickly as possible. We have made some changes in search behavior which only Merchants will notice, which we have
. We still have some work to do to continue improve performance, and we will do so as a top priority. We will be monitoring performance throughout the weekend.

We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

The Commerce Team

I appreciate the work that's being done to speed up the marketplace. I just wish that it wouldn't have a cost of slowing down other areas of workflow, this is kinda disappointing to read... :(    Hopefully there can be other solutions in the near future that don't cause other areas of merchant workflow to be affected..  Looking forward to more improvements that won't mean other tasks are affected negatively, but instead bring improvements across the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>So, as a geek, I can understand why they're not doing the "logical" thing

Call me predictable, but when you make excuses for LL, I'm going to say that you're making excuses for LL.

The technical argument fails to address that failing to speed things up results not only in lost sales, but in lost users.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> Or extend the deadlines by a month or six. *grin*

Or how about they don't impose ANY deadlines for user behavior as long as their code still doesn't work?

It's kind of like an auto lease company telling you that you have to trade in your car for a newer one in 2 months, although it may not yet have certain features, such as brakes or an accelerator pedal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>I know you are "working on it,"

They've been working on it for 6 months longer than they initially indicated.

How about this...

Since they didn't do their job for the last 6 months, maybe they work for free for the next 6 months.

?


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>We have been working on improving the performance on Marketplace as quickly as possible.

Incorrect.

As quickly as possible would have included firing someone 6 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Darrius Gothly wrote:

 

Frankly it would be a bad investment in hardware to load up on extra computing power just for this initial rush. It would just be wasted processing capability in a few weeks. And it's not like they're starving for computers these days, what with all the Sims going offline.

So, as a geek, I can understand why they're not doing the "logical" thing and dumping a bunch of iron on the speed problems. A little patience and this too shall pass.

The logical thing would be to encourage a slower take up to reduce the spike, encouraging people to wait, pointing out likely delays in processing time for the first week, and giving ample "'phase in time". 

The Commerce Team gave out bears roasting marshmellows over our burning magic boxes and have enhanced the sense of urgency to transitioning by putting us all on a sharp countdown for magic box extinction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

We have been working on improving the performance on Marketplace as quickly as possible. We have made some changes in search behavior which only Merchants will notice, which we have
. We still have some work to do to continue improve performance, and we will do so as a top priority. We will be monitoring performance throughout the weekend.

We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

The Commerce Team

Well, Thanks again for your work and for these messages. But is it tje wiki the better place for a notice as this about delays? Why not a blog entry? I do not know how many merchants read the blog regularly, but I'm sure that many more of those who look possible new wiki pages.

ETA Correcting me myself: I have seen the advice also in the Merchant Home, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Sera Lok wrote:

...

PLEASE upgrade the network, the servers, the whatever, to make this site function as it should.
...

 

This sort of issue is not something to throw hardware at without a clear comprehension of why the problem exists. It could be a simple matter of database parameters slowing things down or logs filling up or the database having to constantly extend the space available. LL needs some expensive consultants in there and then act on the recommendations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Sera Lok wrote:


CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

We have been working on improving the performance on Marketplace as quickly as possible. We have made some changes in search behavior which only Merchants will notice, which we have
. We still have some work to do to continue improve performance, and we will do so as a top priority. We will be monitoring performance throughout the weekend.

We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

The Commerce Team

I appreciate the work that's being done to speed up the marketplace. I just wish that it wouldn't have a cost of slowing down other areas of workflow, this is kinda disappointing to read...
:(
    Hopefully there can be other solutions in the near future that don't cause other areas of merchant workflow to be affected..  Looking forward to more improvements that won't mean other tasks are affected negatively, but instead bring improvements across the board.

^This right here!

Last night, I was trying to make some more product updates.  The upload worked fine.  The new product showed up in Unassociated Items just fine.  I got to the Edit page fairly easily.  And then...when I tried to find the new item in the Edit Associated Item list...it was not there.  And it did indeed take 5 minutes for it to show up.  It took 5 minutes to show up in the list because of this change: "the list of inventory items returned when you click "Edit associated object" will show data that may be up to 5 minutes old"

I still have 430 to update!  So here's what I'm looking at as far as time to completion:

430 X 8 minutes per = 3340 minutes.  Divided by 60 = 57.33 hours!!

This is, of course, if everything stays exactly the same.  Sometimes it takes longer for the edit window to come up and/or the page to refresh so the new item shows up in the unassociated items list.  If two more minutes are added to the process for that, my time to completion increases to 71.67 hours!!!

So I agree, Miss Sera.  It's a damned shame that to try to speed things up, some of the merchant tasks are slowed down.  No...it's more than a shame...it's freakin ridiculous. 

So now we merchants are throttled.  Linden Lab, are you a cell phone company or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

We are working to improve performance. We apologize for the delay in getting this addressed.

You just lost one long term customer.  The "delay" was a year long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Zhoie Zimermann wrote:

Is this why my MP sales have come to a total and complete halt as of this morning??

Maybe I am a MP Contrarian but I was just validating what I was seeing lately and other the 22nd when I did not make 1 sale, my sales this past week including these two days since the cutover have been awesome! 

My sales seems to have gone back to the sales pace I was used to prior the August 1 2011 collapse when in the period of 1 day I noticed my sales drop by 50% only to recover partially by September.  Now my sales have returned and (crossing fingers it will stay) exceeded old sales pace.

Even with the MP moving at the speed of a glacier, I am getting sales on both my Magicbox and DD items (only had 3 sales on my DD items).

My 6 main hottest selling packs are still on MagicBox and are now the only items in my MagicBox.  The remaining items (about 35 MP listings) have been fully migrated to DD and a few sales have happened on them too.

 

The reason I didnt move my main sellers is because I dont want to confuse the vast majority of my customers on the SL Grid that still have no clue that MP switched its delivery method from what they always knew to this new method.  I will switch these main sellers in a couple weeks after the rumours spread throughout the grid that LL swapped out the MP delivery and my future customers have adopted to the new delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Toysoldier Thor wrote:


Zhoie Zimermann wrote:

Is this why my MP sales have come to a total and complete halt as of this morning??

Maybe I am a MP Contrarian but I was just validating what I was seeing lately and other the 22nd when I did not make 1 sale, my sales this past week including these two days since the cutover have been awesome! 

My sales seems to have gone back to the sales pace I was used to prior the August 1 2011 collapse when in the period of 1 day I noticed my sales drop by 50% only to recover partially by September.  Now my sales have returned and (crossing fingers it will stay) exceeded old sales pace.

Even with the MP moving at the speed of a glacier, I am getting sales on both my Magicbox and DD items (only had 3 sales on my DD items).

My 6 main hottest selling packs are still on MagicBox and are now the only items in my MagicBox.  The remaining items (about 35 MP listings) have been fully migrated to DD and a few sales have happened on them too.

 

The reason I didnt move my main sellers is because I dont want to confuse the vast majority of my customers on the SL Grid that still have no clue that MP switched its delivery method from what they always knew to this new method.  I will switch these main sellers in a couple weeks after the rumours spread throughout the grid that LL swapped out the MP delivery and my future customers have adopted to the new delivery.

You're lucky, Toy and I'm glad your sales are back up to what they were before.  But there are those of us out there (like me) who haven't had one single sale on the marketplace since direct delivery rolled out.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Marcus Hancroft wrote:


Toysoldier Thor wrote:


Zhoie Zimermann wrote:

Is this why my MP sales have come to a total and complete halt as of this morning??

Maybe I am a MP Contrarian but I was just validating what I was seeing lately and other the 22nd when I did not make 1 sale, my sales this past week including these two days since the cutover have been awesome! 

My sales seems to have gone back to the sales pace I was used to prior the August 1 2011 collapse when in the period of 1 day I noticed my sales drop by 50% only to recover partially by September.  Now my sales have returned and (crossing fingers it will stay) exceeded old sales pace.

Even with the MP moving at the speed of a glacier, I am getting sales on both my Magicbox and DD items (only had 3 sales on my DD items).

My 6 main hottest selling packs are still on MagicBox and are now the only items in my MagicBox.  The remaining items (about 35 MP listings) have been fully migrated to DD and a few sales have happened on them too.

 

The reason I didnt move my main sellers is because I dont want to confuse the vast majority of my customers on the SL Grid that still have no clue that MP switched its delivery method from what they always knew to this new method.  I will switch these main sellers in a couple weeks after the rumours spread throughout the grid that LL swapped out the MP delivery and my future customers have adopted to the new delivery.

You're lucky, Toy and I'm glad your sales are back up to what they were before.  But there are those of us out there (like me) who haven't had one single sale on the marketplace since direct delivery rolled out.  
:(

Marcus, you're one of the rare marketplace shop owners that have ever said "thank you" for a purchase.  You had a customer for virtual life.

Last night, I went to start a business that has been sitting in inventory, ready to go, that does not require massive amounts of land.  Thought, heck. if I've got to reload everything, might as well rev up a new venture, then add the old one, once they let us have several stores.  (whenever, that is)

Setting that up, required a lot of purchases on the marketplace.  Your store would have been a stop. Impossible.

I'll try again next Friday night, and I'll try again, the following Friday night.  Imagine that once all of the shop owners figure out how to start loading, the network will get backed up again.  Who knows.  Might get backed up again during that absolute deadline week.  Who knows.

Your customers are not going to come in here and tell you that. 

I wish you the best, and will try again, a few times, and your store will be first on the list, once we can shop again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

Marcus, you're one of the rare marketplace shop owners that have ever said "thank you" for a purchase.  You had a customer for virtual life.

Last night, I went to start a business that has been sitting in inventory, ready to go, that does not require massive amounts of land.  Thought, heck. if I've got to reload everything, might as well rev up a new venture, then add the old one, once they let us have several stores.  (whenever, that is)

Setting that up, required a lot of purchases on the marketplace.  Your store would have been a stop. Impossible.

I'll try again next Friday night, and I'll try again, the following Friday night.  Imagine that once all of the shop owners figure out how to start loading, the network will get backed up again.  Who knows.  Might get backed up again during that absolute deadline week.  Who knows.

Your customers are not going to come in here and tell you that. 

I wish you the best, and will try again, a few times, and your store will be first on the list, once we can shop again.

/me smiles and tips his hat your way

Well thank you, Miss Mickey!  I know it's been a trial even getting pages to come up on the marketplace the past three days.  Then I see Toy saying that his sales are better than they have been in a long time, and then someone else saying that they are seeing sales but they just WILL not go through.  I know there's more at play here.

Thanks for your tenacity!  I hope someday you can actually pull up my store and if you see something you like/need, the transaction will actually go through.  If for some crazy reason it doesn't, let me know and I'll take care of ya personally.

Thank you again!

:smileyvery-happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Marcus Hancroft wrote:


Mickey Vandeverre wrote:

Marcus, you're one of the rare marketplace shop owners that have ever said "thank you" for a purchase.  You had a customer for virtual life.

Last night, I went to start a business that has been sitting in inventory, ready to go, that does not require massive amounts of land.  Thought, heck. if I've got to reload everything, might as well rev up a new venture, then add the old one, once they let us have several stores.  (whenever, that is)

Setting that up, required a lot of purchases on the marketplace.  Your store would have been a stop. Impossible.

I'll try again next Friday night, and I'll try again, the following Friday night.  Imagine that once all of the shop owners figure out how to start loading, the network will get backed up again.  Who knows.  Might get backed up again during that absolute deadline week.  Who knows.

Your customers are not going to come in here and tell you that. 

I wish you the best, and will try again, a few times, and your store will be first on the list, once we can shop again.

/me smiles and tips his hat your way

Well thank you, Miss Mickey!  I know it's been a trial even getting pages to come up on the marketplace the past three days.  Then I see Toy saying that his sales are better than they have been in a long time, and then someone else saying that they are seeing sales but they just WILL not go through.  I know there's more at play here.

Thanks for your tenacity!  I hope someday you can actually pull up my store and if you see something you like/need, the transaction will actually go through.  If for some crazy reason it doesn't, let me know and I'll take care of ya personally.

Thank you again!

:smileyvery-happy:

you're very welcome, Marcus, appreciate the personal service and delivery the last time!  sorry, could not leave review, because you hand delivered!  next time, will leave reviews :)

I've been watching people who do volume.  Here, and on twitter.  I pay attention to those who know how to market with social media, and those who do volume.  Their story is not the same as Toy's.

Will watch them for a while, and see how it plays out.

eta:

you know I like to chat.  here's deal in somewhat of a nutshell:

even with business removed during this time frame (not going to "pay" this time to watch a fiasco - although, did many times).....

I love playing in the virtual world, and just freed up time to play.  2nd or 3rd biz venture, still not doable, without being able to make quick purchases on marketplace.

had a lot chosen in Costa Rica, so was going to go set the Villa up again, and play and build for a month.

Can't even do that, since I can't buy pretty stuff on the marketplace.  Can't even just set down a shell and fill with pretty stuff next week....could not get to a prefab page.  Not going to pay for a lot, that I can't even slap a prefab on.  heck, will build the dang thing myself.  Nope, can't do that....need a dozen textures.  Nope, not gonna shop inworld, that is drudgery to me, particularly for prefabs and textures....oh heck....just this one time!  Nope....can't even get to a page to find their inworld store!

ok, ok.....I'll use the dang inworld search, and try.  I just want to have some fun while I wait for the fiasco to be over.  O...M....G     it sucks.  Nevermind.  Needless to say, that Costa Rica lot did not get purchased!

That is a slightly more detailed "customer" view. 

They need to get this squared away asap, or there is going to be major trickle down. 

Just one little bitty trickle there. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So for people who have lets say 400-600 items on Marketplace for sale via their magic boxes, we would have to I dunno, find the time (days I would guess) to convert all of those to this other form of Direct Delivery???.....I mean I just cannot believe how stupid these people who are running this get. First it was the name change crap, then this then that, now this!  I got a super machine over here, a high end FAST gaming machine yet it took 8 minutes just for Marketplace to load. It took an additional 3 mins for the transaction page to load. Who has the time and furthermore, who's gonna tolerate it? Seems easier to just take it all down and call it day.....I cant believe that LL didnt consider that. Theres no way if this is how its going to be permanently that Im sticking around for it and surely I cannot be the other one who is thinking this way. I mean my goodness I cant understand their logic. 

This whole thing seems counter productive if you ask me. So people dont have to have any land or know someone with land to sell things on Marketplace? Oh gee, and I thought it was some dumb sh*t before being created and sold, I cant even imagine what this is going to do and certainly this will slow Marketplace even more! Well maybe not....maybe ALOT of people will say "screw this" "im gone" and it will dwindle away to nothinjg? Who knows.

 

Anyways, can someone answer the first part of the question I asked about converting to this whole Direct thing? Much appreciated in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...