What prepaid cards are supported by LL?

Mia Hope

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

A good question for Billing Support (free call):

Billing support phone numbers

Toll-Free (US/Canada)

Long-Distance

Our Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Local Toll-Free numbers
  • France: 0805.101.490
  • Germany: 0800.664.5510
  • Japan: 0066.33.132.830
  • Brazil: 0800.762.1132
  • Spain: 800.300.560
  • UK: 0800.048.4646
  • Support is in English Only
- - - - -
ETA I do not know if I made clear I am talking seriously. I too have often wondered about the ambiguity of that "most prepaid cards are not compatible"

Irene gave you a good answer. However, be aware that any answer you get from billing support may or not be complete, and may or may not be accurate. I called billing support when I first wanted to start buying $L, to ask if they accepted Visa giftcards. I was told absolutely yes. I asked the guy several times, to make sure he knew what I was talking about. He replied yes each time. I bought one, tried to use it, it didn't work. Called billing support again and was told that no, Visa giftcards aren't actually an accepted payment method. And even then, the woman I spoke with had to go ask someone else because she didn't know.

So use caution, and take any answers at face value!

We've had versions of this question many times.  If you search the archives, you might be able to find a comment from someone who says, "Oh, I use a prepaid card that I got from XYZ company and it works fine." I recall seeing a few like that.  I have no idea whether those few people were just lucky or if they're mistaken.  I suspect that LL's statement just contains the weasel word "most" because the person who wrote it wasn't completely sure whether "all" was true.

Pre-paid cards are iffy for use with any business.  I've had my employer give me a pre-paid Visa card for gasoline purchases when I was using my vehicle on company business and about half the time it did not work at gas stations that accepted Visa cards for gasoline purchases (it's a good thing I always had the cash or my debit card handy.....which was also Visa).  I've had rebates given as a debit card (both Visa and Mastercard) and they, too, failed about 50% of the time.  There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to why it does not work at some places and it does at others.  I think it revolves around two things.  First it must be a major card issuer and the place you are using it has to be signed up for the issuers' pre-paid program.  Most businesses have an agreement with the credit/debit card issuers for the major issuers..........I don't think all  businesses have agreements with those same issuers' pre-paid cards.  It also appears that those agreements can change from month to month or quarter to quarter.........one place that didn't accept the pre-paid card for gas one month did the next and, then, not the following month.

Pre-paids are still a mess.  Iffy at best.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4388 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.