vehicle motion / control interrupted

Angus Rhys

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

when I'm flying a vehicle in a sandbox area where there are many other avi's present, it often happens that my vehicle movement is halted or interrupted with no response to controls.  can this condition be caused by other avi's nearby, perhaps attempting to edit my vehicle?  If so, is there a scripting solution to get around this problem?  I've used the STATUS_BLOCK_GRAB_OBJECT parameter but that doesn't help.  Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.

This is usually caused by m*r*ns who find it amusing to select or edit your vehicle to block you because --you know-- vehicles using physics create lag. However this "feature" was fixed a long time ago, if I am not mistaken.

Any way, I still use a trick from before the fix in all my vehicles:

llSetStatus(STATUS_BLOCK_GRAB_OBJECT, TRUE);

Note: STATUS_BLOCK_GRAB_OBJECT, not just STATUS_BLOCK_GRAB which is not very useful, to say the least.

IIRC, it prevents anybody from blocking your vehicle through grabbing or edition... except yourself and those who have edit permission.

• Like 1

STATUS_BLOCK_GRAB_OBJECT only prevents left-click-dragging on physical objects. Anyone can still right-click-edit an object to halt its physical movement.

Sadly, there is no way to counter that. And in the grand scheme of things, it's probably better that way, since it provides a defense against players being griefed by physical objects. Innocent vehicles being affected by this is in unfortunate side effect

Edit: Wait, when was that fixed?? Kaluura, can you provide a link to any info on that?

• Like 1

You and Kaluura have both confirmed what I suspected....that halted motion can be caused by another avi trying to edit the vehicle.  And your point about that capability being a necessary defense against griefers is well taken.  I guess the best of all worlds would be that selecting edit by a non-owner wouldn't halt the motion, but evidently there's no way around that, at least at the present.  Thanks to all who replied.

I just checked the JIRA about this, and I may have been wrong... according to this record, the issue was fixed...but it doesn't really clarify what was done.   https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-34

Additionally, a comment in the jira proposed a small workaround to counter this: Have the pilot wear an invisible attachment that is larger than the vehicle. that way, anyone trying to right-click it will instead pickup your attachment.

That's an interesting post.  I'm not sure the freezing problem has been completely fixed though.  Admittedly, in my own testing, using two avatars on two different viewers, I was not able to produce the freezing effect.  But still, at the times when I experience the freezing, it often turns out there is someone else trying to sit on my vehicle also.  That's why I think the two are related.  I don't grant controls to anyone but the owner so it can't (shouldn't) be a problem of confusion of who has the controls.  I'll try the suggestion of wearing an invisible object that encompasses the entire vehicle and test that.  Thanks again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.