Is ANS supported in Direct Delivery?

Etienne Brando

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Same here. No ANS, no go. Everything else seems to work great, but, we absolutely need ANS. Our support terminals and external database, updates, etc depends on it.

Hopefully also no fields will be removed from ANS.

But, before nitpicking that, I want to see ANS happen at all. Really, this is a must.  Some of us have too many tie ins and move too much inventory to rely on the marketplace's sales history alone.

From what I can tell, and I've been through it fairly extensively, nothing is left out that matters. But as you say, the proof is in the pudding (aka Database Update). If there's important stuff missing, you won't be the only voice screaming at the top of their lungs.

Etienne Brando wrote:

After searching the release documentation on direct delivery,  I see no information about the Automated Notification Service or ANS. So what happens regarding ANS when we migrate items to the direct delivery method and delete the magic box? do we still get notified?

As one of the two representing the ANS community during beta testing, I said from the very outset

"Do NOT leave ANS as an afterthought like it was when Marketplace was rolled out".

While I have the information about it, it's not for me to share, this should be communicated by LL staff and should be communicated in adequate time for those who use it to prepare for change.

This roll out beggars belief to be honest.  A typical project plan would communicate extensively with their major stakeholders PRIOR to change.  This one has been a dump of minimal information and an offer of inworld Q&A over a week AFTER deployment.

I don't know how many times I for one, kept saying "communicate with your users" and I just cannot understand why that's not seen as a good and effective way to operate.

Thanks for this thread and the answers on it. It helps to know the current issues. And ter.....riff......ick,, truly, utterly......totally...really, I mean it. I was trying to use the magic box today to load in some new items, today, and they weren't showing up on the marketplace, listed or un. All my items are one of a kind, no copy, breedable animal nests, seeds, etc. I discovered the posts and info about DD, watched Torley's vid and was able to figure out how and where to load items into the merchant outbox. , I attempted to sync them with the marketplace and was getting entries in the error logs about permission, even though I enabled transfer perms on all the items. Not clear on why this was enabled before this issue was fixed, since I'm not the only one selling those type items on the marketplace. It would have made more sense to get it all set before disabling the magic boxes (at least mine wasn't working any longer to upload items). I'll watch for changes, and try another run at it tomorrow, but sounds like I've got a wait. Regards, Shaman Till

Likewise here. If I dont' have ANS support, I cannot trust the marketplace's system enough to leave it be its own entity. It is nice to see that you are accomidating for the majority of users, but don't forget about the ones that really put money in your pocket.

That being said, even if the support for magic boxes are lost before this, I will not use DD until ANS support is added, even if it means removal of my products.

-Flame

Shaman Till wrote:

Thanks for this thread and the answers on it. It helps to know the current issues. And ter.....riff......ick,, truly, utterly......totally...really, I mean it. I was trying to use the magic box today to load in some new items, today, and they weren't showing up on the marketplace, listed or un. All my items are one of a kind, no copy, breedable animal nests, seeds, etc. I discovered the posts and info about DD, watched Torley's vid and was able to figure out how and where to load items into the merchant outbox. , I attempted to sync them with the marketplace and was getting entries in the error logs about permission, even though I enabled transfer perms on all the items. Not clear on why this was enabled before this issue was fixed, since I'm not the only one selling those type items on the marketplace. It would have made more sense to get it all set before disabling the magic boxes (at least mine wasn't working any longer to upload items). I'll watch for changes, and try another run at it tomorrow, but sounds like I've got a wait. Regards, Shaman Till

Shaman .. not sure where the notiion that things must be marked as Transfer to work. That's wrong info and it needs to be stamped out. The products being sold by Direct Delivery must be COPY ALLOWED in order to be accepted. If an item is marked NO COPY then they cannot be used with Direct Delivery .... yet!

They are working on a fix for this, but so far there is no stated timeline when that might be available. For now you must continue to use your Magic Boxes for delivery of NO COPY items.

Ok, ty Darius, my main point was that NO breedable animal/plant/nest/egg/orb/what have you is COPY,. They can't be by their nature. The fact is that they are all unique, and the fun of breeding is that you can't spit out exacting copies, though a plantpet is pretty well indistinguishable from another within a certain type. The point is that the creators of such, don't allow it, and right now that is in conflict with the way the Marketplace is allowing the upload of new items. My question is when single unique, no copy items will be allowed? And for that matter, there are plenty within SL and the marketplace that are no copy anyway, often because they are also transfer, aside from breedables. Linden L:abs also loses it's five per fee for posting and sales of such items. Needs to be fixed and to my mind, should not have been rolled out before that was possible too.

I think there's some confusion .. and maybe this will help.

The Marketplace cannot sell items which are No Copy to you. It can however sell items which are No Copy to the Customer (called the Next Owner).

It cannot sell items that are No Copy to you because as it works now, you would have to put 5 copies of the item into five separate Product Listings. That's a BIG PROBLEM.

However, if you are the Creator of the product then to you it is copyable, thus you can put one copy into a Magic Box or into a Marketplace DD Folder, and then from that one copy deliver many purchased copies to your customers. Each copy delivered to a customer would arrive to them as NO COPY; the Next Owner Permissions would be set to disallow Copying. This is exactly how you do it with Magic Boxes now, isn't it?

So to summarize:

•  If it is NO COPY to you, you cannot sell it with Direct Delivery
  • If it is COPY to you but NO COPY to your Customer then you CAN sell it with Direct Delivery

Ok, but still think you aren't getting it....have you ever done breedables?

We who breed CANNOT COPY THESE! UNLESS we are the creators/originators of a particular breedable creation.

As breeders, we can only breed an animal/plant/whathaveyou, we cannot copy it, we can breed a close copy, but in many cases, somewhere, somehow, there will be differences. Shift-clicking with these is out, totally and completely, it is against the perms of them. But I can give/trade/sell them inworld, and I could at least formerly, sell the individual, no copy by ANYONE, WHAT SO EVER, except the originator of the breedable. So is this the future of the Marketplace, that breedables will be left out, except to the companies/individuals who originated them?

Was I incorrect  that the magic boxes are no longer accepting new entries and submitting those to the Marketplace? I had tried mine shortly before I posted initially and was unsuccessful at getting the item to show under my items. I then ran across the info on DD and assumed that the magic boxes were being phased out, starting with no new submissions via them.

Is this not going to be remedied? Because net result it's going to let a fair number of breeders who were/are selling on the marketplace up till now, out. The only items that will be left there from actual breakables will be what was loaded before the DD kicked in, then.

And this then, is my point, that breedables, by individual breeders are being, at least currently excluded from the Marketplace.

I have not ever done Breedables. Many reasons go into that decision, but no, I've never done, seen, bred or toyed with Breedables.

If you are not the creator then you cannot sell any of your breedable products using Direct Delivery. You will have to continue using the Magic Box for now.

As a merchant, I depend on ANS working before I can use Direct Delivery. That feature is not finished yet, so I must continue selling from Magic Boxes too.

Start a new thread here asking CommerceTeam Linden to push to get the sale of No Copy items fixed, or to extend the cutoff date for Magic Boxes until they do fix it as it is a very important feature for you (and all other Breedables Merchants) to have.

I do get it. I do understand that it doesn't work and you want it to work. You are not alone. Many of us are in the same boat, waiting for Direct Delivery to "get finished" before we can do anything with it.

Thank you Darrius:

Yes to the above, and the reason I brought up transfer perms at all is I have a page of: "Unsellable item in folder, likely a permission problem (BrnSpRM TA LM TB HCG CG HO Ankh)" and thought at some point transfer perms were the only possible cause, because they are no copy, and until I ran across this thread. Silly d..... me, I actually thought this was something LL would include as a feature, single item, no copy by anyone items. Even thought of it as a given, how could I be so optimistic. Will pull out a magic box again and see if that will work still, and it was just the nature of that day, first DD day,  that prevented me being able to use it at all.

Thanks for discussing this reasonably, felt like I might have been missing the point for a few there.

Regards,

Shaman Till

They actually did think of it. They mention it in their Direct Delivery FAQ, but unfortunately they weren't able to get that feature working in time for the rollout.

(Which still baffles me, why the rush to release when so many important features are left undone. But that baffled me about the early release of Marketplace and killing off of XStreet too, and apparently it hasn't changed at LL since.)

You're welcome Shaman Glad we got to the root of the issue.

Sassy Romano wrote:

So just for fun then, the worst case scenario for a merchant today is:-

Someone who sells items that are no copy to themselves, at a price of L$10 or less, who requires ANS and who is going on holiday for Easter.

Any advance on that?

ROFL!! Well, they could have sold all their Apple stock just two weeks ago.

Shaman Till wrote:

Thank you Darrius:

Yes to the above, and the reason I brought up transfer perms at all is I have a page of: "Unsellable item in folder, likely a permission problem (BrnSpRM TA LM TB HCG CG HO Ankh)" and thought at some point transfer perms were the only possible cause, because they are no copy, and until I ran across this thread. Silly d..... me, I actually thought this was something LL would include as a feature, single item, no copy by anyone items. Even thought of it as a given, how could I be so optimistic. Will pull out a magic box again and see if that will work still, and it was just the nature of that day, first DD day,  that prevented me being able to use it at all.

Thanks for discussing this reasonably, felt like I might have been missing the point for a few there.

Regards,

Shaman Till

yes, read the instructions and dont change to DD at the moment

Darrius,

Don't suppose you (or anyone else) has heard any news on ANS?  This thread here seems to be my only link to the Linden Reality Distortion Field --

Linden Lab: I'd really love to convert to DD. The day ANS is working, i'll be doing it.

I sure hope the decision on this isn't changing, or ANS isn't changing into something else.

The scuttlebutt is that it's coming very soon. I do know it will take some changes in how you verify transactions, so you'll probably want to make sure everything is working correctly with your ANS processor before you start convering en masse. Maybe do one product that has a high sales rate (I chose a Freebie that "sells" 5-20 per day). Now I'm just waiting for the ANS page to start working so I can set it up and fix all my bugs! LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.