Object Rezzed Underground

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For several days at my house I was seeing messages in chat every few minutes like this, "[11:23:18] Second Life: Can't move object 'Modular Plate Carrier 1.0 (Boxed)' to { 73.4843, 121.947, 20.248 } in region Sheepshank because of an unknown reason. [4194304]."  I had rezzed and unpacked the object  a few days ago. 

I just hoped they would go away, which didn't work.  Support restarted the sim, which also didn't work.  I finally got serious about trying to solve it.  I noticed that the coordinates given were underground.  I derendered the ground, and sure enough, there was the object at those coordinates.  I "took" it, and the messages stopped.

Can anyone explain how I managed to rez it underground?  I am all but certain that I did not move it underground using edit.

Hmm I have had physical objects do this sometimes.

I had a bouncy ball and then suddenly it disappeared. I couldnt find it for months and finally found it way under the land line

Hard one to solve but SL has been known to do strange things at strange times lol

Was the object physical?

my guess is it was rezzed right next to or partially on the sim line of your property, or on top of an object (like flooring etc) that slightly overlaps. Objects can get easily flung just about anywhere from sim crossings, even if they arent in motion, though being in motion amplifies the problem greatly.

Eileen Fellstein wrote:

my guess is it was rezzed right next to or partially on the sim line of your property, or on top of an object (like flooring etc) that slightly overlaps. Objects can get easily flung just about anywhere from sim crossings, even if they arent in motion, though being in motion amplifies the problem greatly.

I've had things get pushed underground when rezzed near other objects. If I rez something between my sofa and ottoman (both have sculpties that probably have collision boundaries larger than what I see), there's a chance I'll have to dig it out of the floor.

Brings back a nice memory with my former partner. I'd given her a teddy bear and when placing it, she accidently flung it off the sim somewhere then panic'd. Life and everything in in stopped cold until we found that bear. I even got the sim owners in on the hunt. we finally found it at the far corner of the adjacent sim!. Then. with teddy home, all was right in the world again :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.