Phasing out Magic Boxes in 2 Months ...

Niall Braveheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Was surprised to see an end date for the use of magic boxes set right at the release of DD, I would have expected LL to wait until DD was stable and any initial bugs/issues resolved.

Here is the planned migration schedule in 2012:
 •April 2 through 13, 2012: Inworld Q&A sessions on using and migrating to Direct Delivery
 •April 18, 2012: All listings priced L$10 and lower must use Direct Delivery
 •May 16, 2012: Magic Boxes no longer allowed for any Marketplace listing

Not a big problem for me with my 120ish items, but curious what other merchants feeling are on this time frame.

Considering they haven't turned on the one feature I require (ANS), I think it's rather pushy to be setting an end date for Magic Boxes now. Considering how long we waited (are STILL waiting) for featues on the Marketplace itself, features that were promised, it just feels like more "cart before the horse" stuff.

They took almost a year to develop it, and we get two months to test, debug and verify DD .. ???

Yeah, how come they're real quick to turn OFF important stuff, but real slow to fix broken things?

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Considering they haven't turned on the one feature I require (ANS), I think it's rather pushy to be setting an end date for Magic Boxes now. Considering how long we waited (are STILL waiting) for featues on the Marketplace itself, features that were promised, it just feels like more "cart before the horse" stuff.

They took almost a year to develop it, and we get two months to test, debug and verify DD .. ???

Yeah, how come they're real quick to turn OFF important stuff, but real slow to fix broken things?

Totally agree. We've been waiting AGES just to get e-mail notification of reviews, which would seem one of the most basic and necessary features of an online marketplace.

Why am I not surprised?

There is still so much confusion on how it really works and what to do to enable it - what will merchants who have older computers do?  which viewers do what? (there are rumors that if you install one viewer and then switch back to another, all the folders, including merchant ones will remain and function - rumors at this point only.)  

So in the midst of all of this confusion LL announces that in TWO WEEKS they'll answer questions?  really?

What will be left to answer by then as residents muddle through this transition and rely on their friends and group support?  lol

I just converted 300 items to DD in under one hour. It's very easy - automatic - if you haven't changed the names of your listings.

Here's how I did it:

To fill my magic boxes I've always taken copies of my store displays right off the wall, and dropped them into my magic boxes after unsetting the for sale option on the display prim. This way I've kept the Marketplace item names the same as the names you'll see on the displays on my store walls.

I did it this way because I was thinking ahead and prefer to do less work rather than more when setting up vendor systems or Marketplace listings.

The advantage of doing it this way is that if I need to fix an error in a product or change the contents for some reason, I can just do that to my in-world store display, then take a new copy of the display to replace the old package in the magic box or vendor server. No other/extra name changes or association adjustments are needed.

Since DD conversion is automatic for listings that have the same name as the product folder you're uploading, I simply bought each item for myself from my store. I use the default Buy Contents on my store displays (again for simplicty's sake and it's less work, plus folder delivery is so much nicer for the customer) so when I purchase something from myself, I get a nice folder named the same as the display with all the contents inside ready to go.

I just dragged these folders to the Merchant Outbox and sent them to Marketplace. Done.

Now customers will get folders with the products inside just like when they shop at my store in world - not a single box to unpack, which is the whole point of DD.

Note: I dragged the folders one at a time until I had a bunch in the the outbox ready to upload. I noticed if I bulk shift-selected folders then some of them wouldn't load the contents to the outbox window. Also, double check each folder real quick to make sure it has all the items that it should.

Arkesh...I understand all that...

MY problem is the system will not delete the unassociated items except ONE AT A TIME (and even then...MAYBE).  The unassociated items section can only have 100 items in it, so how you got 300 migrated in an hour without being able to delete the old ones out of the unassociated, I have NO idea.

I just went at it, and it let me. Maybe the limit only applies to Direct Delivery items that are unassociated? You can bulk delete unassociated magic box items from your merchant panel using the check boxes. Of course, right now the site is behaving badly.

That's what I mean by the site behaving badly. Before that started I was able to bulk-delete a bunch of stuff. I'm guessing it's super overloaded right now, or just buggy from the switch over.

I'll worry about the rest of my items another day - after they've fixed the website.

SLAddict Allen wrote:

It says PLANNED migration.

They were planning to kill off V1 by now but it hasn't happened.

They were planning to break true online status a couple weeks ago but it didn't happen.

Horror of horrors...maybe they're going to do all that at the same time :smileysurprised:  :smileysad:

Arkesh Baral wrote:

I just converted 300 items to DD in under one hour. It's very easy - automatic - if you haven't changed the names of your listings.

Here's how I did it:

To fill my magic boxes I've always taken copies of my store displays right off the wall, and dropped them into my magic boxes after unsetting the for sale option on the display prim. This way I've kept the Marketplace item names the same as the names you'll see on the displays on my store walls.

I did it this way because I was thinking ahead and prefer to do less work rather than more when setting up vendor systems or Marketplace listings.

The advantage of doing it this way is that if I need to fix an error in a product or change the contents for some reason, I can just do that to my in-world store display, then take a new copy of the display to replace the old package in the magic box or vendor server. No other/extra name changes or association adjustments are needed.

Since DD conversion is automatic for listings that have the same name as the product folder you're uploading, I simply bought each item for myself from my store. I use the default Buy Contents on my store displays (again for simplicty's sake and it's less work, plus folder delivery is so much nicer for the customer) so when I purchase something from myself, I get a nice folder named the same as the display with all the contents inside ready to go.

I just dragged these folders to the Merchant Outbox and sent them to Marketplace. Done.

Now customers will get folders with the products inside just like when they shop at my store in world - not a single box to unpack, which is the whole point of DD.

Note: I dragged the folders one at a time until I had a bunch in the the outbox ready to upload. I noticed if I bulk shift-selected folders then some of them wouldn't load the contents to the outbox window. Also, double check each folder real quick to make sure it has all the items that it should.

Missing image?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mayfly-Realistic-Eyes-London-Fog-FREE-COLOR/3289850

Niall Braveheart wrote:

Was surprised to see an end date for the use of magic boxes set right at the release of DD, I would have expected LL to wait until DD was stable and any initial bugs/issues resolved.

I was surprised to be greeted by a picture of an apparent cross between a deranged Carebear and Pedo Bear, roasting a marshmellow over the burning corpses of our magic boxes when I went to the marketplace.

I wish the Commerce Team would get off our lawns or at least stop burning our boxes and roasting marshmellows over their still recognizable corpses. 

At least we know why DD took so long.  We thought a bunch of technical problems were delaying things but now we know the centrality of Magic-box Burning Bear to this whole project we can see that some of the hold up was in designing Magic-box Burning Bear's aesthetic qualities, and composing a compelling back story for him, but that most of the hold up was waiting for the legal team to research the probability of either any copyright/trademark holders of the Carebears or Pedo-bear launching an expensive copyright infringement case, or worse a Trademark infringement and brand dillution case, in response to this indignity.

It might only take an hour or two for people up updated, if ti all goes to plan .. and isn't overwhelmed and broken on the day.

But this is seriously not enough time for merchants many of whom dont read this forum and wont see the deadlines buried away out of sight on the commerce blog. The first a lot of merchants will hear of this is when their listings drop dead. What about non english users or everyone who will mistakenly decide to wait till the outbox is in phoenix? 

I migrated all my items and took me roughly 90 minutes. That included unpacking my 129 products, since I keep them only in boxes.

I also had issues deleting the unassociated items, and I solved it real simple.

After migrating all my products, I emptied my magic boxes, meaning I deleted all products in it's inventory and let it sinc with the market place. Not ideal but a simple workaround.

Then why bother to delete them at all if they're just going to vanish when the magic box scripts finally get disabled?

Or will they really get disabled at all?

Telling us that magic box use "will not be allowed" doesn't actually tell us what they'll do to stop it.

So here's my deal for LL:

If, after the shut-off date, you keep DD working, all my SLM items will go through DD automatically because it's quicker ("riiii-ight".).

So don't worry at all about SLM defaulting to use of my magic boxes, which will remain rezzed and ready for the impossibility of some kind of massive DD failure. 

Fair enough?

As someone who has an older computer (and if I could have upgraded mine I would have LONG ago - technology marching on and all) and literally cannot run any of the viewers that work with DD, this effectively puts me out of business in 2 months if LL's deadline stays fixed.  I have a small shop and not that many items, but I had a steady stream of purchases on pretty much a daily basis from them.  99% of my sales came from the MP.

I can't believe I am the only merchant in SL who is in a similar situation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.