how do i delete a group what i created?

Helderotto Andel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Disbanding groups

While there's no explicit mechanism for simply deleting a group while it has members, you can disband a group in which you are an owner by ejecting all the other members and making sure nobody new can join the group.

After 48 hours with a membership of one or zero, a group is disbanded automatically.

32px-KBnote.png Note: Once you disband a group, you cannot recreate it. You can create a new group, but the new group cannot use the exact same name as the dissolved group.
  • Like 1

I created a group and added one person for fun, but told him he could leave since it was a joke between us,  It has just been me for way longer than 48 hours.  It was 4 days ago.  It's still showing on my group list.  If I remove myself, I will have no control over managing it if for some reason I need to remove manually.  Please advise.  Thank you.

If you are the only person in the group, then you may leave it at any time.  The group will then cease to exist automatically.  A group's owner cannot leave unless he's the only person in it.  Also, you don't need to ask anyone to leave.  You can always eject everyone else, except a co-owner.  Finally, a group should collapse automatically within 48 hours if it has only one member, but weird things do happen sometimes.  If you don't want to rely on the automatic system, abandon the group yourself.

For future reference, a couple of basic guidelines:

1. When you create a group, always add your own alt as a co-owner to keep from accidentally hitting the 48 hour trigger if everyone else bails out.

2.  Don't make anyone else a co-owner unless you are absolutely sure that you can't imagine ever wanting to boot them.  A group owner can never be forced to leave.

3. Think carefully about whether you want to make a group open, so that other people can join without invitation.  That's often a road to drama and disaster.

4.  Study group roles and abilities carefully to be sure that you are giving people permission to do relevant things and prevent them from doing others.  In particular, pay attention to the ability to share profits or liabilities. Otherwise group members may be forced to share the cost of Search listings and may get a share of profits when the group sells assets.

@CrestedLotus,

Normally, groups with less than two members are disbanded after 48 hours.  The holiday may have delayed that, though.

Are you sure that you're the only member left?

Also, if the group owns land, it will not be disbanded, even if you're the only remaining member.  You can sell the group land to yourself, if you want to.  Then the group will disband.

Or, as an alternative, you can invite your own alt, another SL account that you create, as a second group member, to insure the group's continued survival.

May I add (as a general thought) that if you decide to disband a group, send out a group notice a day or two prior, explaining simple reasons why. Consider it a courtesy warning so no one starts thinking negative thoughts of your intentions. If you are planning to create another group and would like the same members, tell them so.

Once the group name is gone (not deleted), it's sent to group name heaven where there are white fluffy clouds, trees and grass and the now defunct group name can run around and play with other group names no longer in service.

The deleted group name can never be used again.

Edited by Jerilynn Lemon

Jerilynn, thank you.  But as I said, I only added one member and it was kind of a joke.  There was no need to notify anyone since I told him  shortly after I created it to leave the group as it was a joke.  If there is a way to close out this thread, that would be great, as the problem has been resolved.  Thank you again.

My estimate was way too high.  Darn you, Bruce! 

Also, you're incorrect.  According to the Knowledge Base,

"After 48 hours with a membership of one or zero, a group is disbanded automatically." 

That was revisited and updated by LL as recently as July 2018. 

I also checked the article on Premium membership, and "longer times before a group is disbanded" is not mentioned as a Premium perk.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.