Second Life's Bloggers and Commentators are the most negative people I've come across

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was going to say that SL's user base is the most negative group that I've ever come across but that would be unfair since most users probably just keep enjoying SL and ignore web blog postings and comments.

The truth is that negative people tend to be the loudest, both in SL and RL.

I think someone said it before but I'll say it again, these people who comment on forums and blogs in a perpetually negative vein appear to have deap-seated psychological issues. 

I am saying this because everytime that SL develops something new the reaction is always predictably negative from these bloggers and commentators.

Why don't they find a new virtual world or do something more satisfying with their time?

blogs can be like tabloids, reality TV, talkback radio, etc. drama, omg and bad news draws attention. letting people vent in the comments draws in even more attention. is not SL exclusive this

+

but anyways. is actual a whole heap of SL related blogs that are generally quite positive and constructive. sometimes articles on them can be critical but usually when they are then the authors will explain the situation as they understand it and often propose a remedy. sometimes too when is pointed out to them in the comments that what they understand is not the case then they will edit and retract. is all good this i think

I see both happening, achem. Yes- everytime LL makes a change there is a swathe of criticism, and some of it is very negative, and some people who are constantly visible in the blog/forum arena are very negative personalities. Criticism is not neccessarily a bad thing though, and I think much of the positive and negative displays the passion that SL residents feel.

The vast majority of SL blogs seem to be fashion/lifestyle/store blogs, and these are very supportive of whats available in SL life. Likewise, places like Flickr show the great beauty and diversity.

Some blogs are drama blogs, and they are a style all their own, and yes they focus on conflict, drama, and social backstabbing. They have their place, too.

Commentary-style blogs are more critical however, and I'm glad they are. It's their job, and if they don't have anything to say they have no point. Journalism has always been a tool we use to dissect issues and come to terms with conflict.

I enjoy a good meaty forum, where issues can be pulled apart with honesty. That means the reader will get 'a good read, guaranteed'..but will have to suffer comments that they don't always side with. If a SL forumite has to leave one forum, to go to another, then so be it. Such traffic will ultimately show which medium is seen as more valuble.

Nothing makes me lose interest in a forum quicker than over-moderation. To me, it's the death of any community, as much as you-tube style comments-bullying at the other pole. There is a popular inworld product with an official forum which is so tightly leashed that it's not even worth a visit. Everything is moderated to death, and all posts must fit into very tightly-delineated topics. There is no general discussion, as I'm sure the owners want no negative comments. The only community it has are those who are uncritical fans.

I believe most of the SL complainers are people who want improvement. They can comment for years on Jiras, and continue to demand improvement. Their complaining is not a bad thing. It would be far far worse were they to give up and walk away, as too many have done.

Complaining about complaining is always productive.  :smileyindifferent:

I have spent thousands of RL $ in SL since 2006 so, as a Premium account holder/landowner, if I see something that I don't like and want changed I say so. That's my prerogative as a customer of LL. Maybe you think that everyone should just be grateful for whatever shoddy service the Lab feels like providing? How will the powers that be ever know's wrong if we don't speak up?

If you have such a problem with it and like living in the land of sunshine and lollipops where everything is just dandy in SL, maybe you should take your own advice. Either ignore everything you see as "negative" or find something else to do/somewhere else to go.

P.S. You've apparently not visited many online game forums. The WoW, Eve Online and SWTOR forums are all a hell of a lot rougher than these.

achem Serenity wrote:

I was going to say that SL's user base is the most negative group that I've ever come across ...

You must have had a very sheltered online upbringing...

Forums are (or should be) a medium for both praise and criticism - if you just want to fanboi, start your own blog, where you can simper about how wonderful the SL world is to your heart's content.

I think a good part of the negativity is passion for the platform. LL should start to worry when users stop sharing their views.

I also think the negativity is because a lot of them/us are also business owners, and the changes may affect their income, or their business. There is an economy involved here, compared to other online game type platforms. This breeds politics.

There is nothing more negative than politics with different sides, views, and party's involved when many heads come together to try and help shape their world. Its the same as real life. Look at all the negative bickering between the 2 parties in the USA and the negative things said by different people abroad. Not everyone has the same views....

But does this Original post have anything positive to say about the users here? Or is it another view by another person with negative overtones.

You said "Why don't they find a new virtual world or do something more satisfying with their time?"

That's like telling everyone to build a spaceship and leave earth to find a new home if they don't like it.  It ain't gonna happen. People will rise up and shape the world they helped build, with their voice if they can.

Granted there is a group of users who are massively negative at anything and everything. We all know how to filter those out by mute and not going to those silly third party forums lol

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

achem Serenity wrote:

Anyway, I think LL was brilliant in how it was able to restructure this blog to get rid of such people who have now moved on to well known third party blogs on SL and virtual worlds.

Comment removed do to censorship...

Please use third party forums for free speach.

The folks they got rid of were the ones who were fouls mouthed, rude, or made constant personal attacks.

None of which is needed or even helpful to having critical debate.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Parrish Ashbourne wrote:

achem Serenity wrote:

Anyway, I think LL was brilliant in how it was able to restructure this blog to get rid of such people who have now moved on to well known third party blogs on SL and virtual worlds.

Comment removed do to censorship...

Please use third party forums for free speach.

The folks they got rid of were the ones who were fouls mouthed, rude, or made constant personal attacks.

None of which is needed or even helpful to having critical debate.

I see this as the opposite as these people you describe are still very much present on the forum.  Who are the people that are gone that you are referring to?  Who are the 'they' you are referring to?

achem Serenity wrote:

I was going to say that SL's user base is the most negative group that I've ever come across but that would be unfair since most users probably just keep enjoying SL and ignore web blog postings and comments.

I think someone said it before but I'll say it again, these people who comment on forums and blogs in a perpetually negative vein appear to have deap-seated psychological issues. 

I am saying this because everytime that SL develops something new the reaction is always predictably negative from these bloggers and commentators.

Why don't they find a new virtual world or do something more satisfying with their time?

really i think you get a good 50/50 split on the positive and negative feedback on changes..

what good would it be without an outlook from both sides?

there is usually a panic right away and a lot of threads may pop up..but as soon as some really take a look at what is going on you get into the good discussions and what is really going to come of it..

there is not just one crowd that always agrees and one that always disagrees..

that crowd will change with each change..

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

achem Serenity wrote:

really i think you get a good 50/50 split on the positive and negative feedback on changes..

what good would it be without an outlook from both sides?

there is usually a panic right away and a lot of threads may pop up..but as soon as some really take a look at what is going on you get into the good discussions and what is really going to come of it..

there is not just one crowd that always agrees and one that always disagrees..

that crowd will change with each change..

I mostly agree with what you said there.

On the other hand when there is contention or even debate you tend to get a split.  There are some who accept and welcome the discussion.  Then there are the others who complain that there is so much complaining.

I really think the ones who complain about the complaining tend to be the loudest, both in SL and RL.

I guess someone said it before but I'll say it again, these people who complain about the complaining on forums and blogs appear to have deap-seated psychological issues. 

I am saying this because everytime someone complains the reaction by some is predictably negative.

Why don't these complainers about the complainers find a new virtual world or do something more satisfying with their time?

I hope I've made myself clear.

ya ..but i still say..the egg came first!! \o/

hehehehe :P

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

I really think the ones who complain about the complaining tend to be the loudest, both in SL and RL.

I guess someone said it before but I'll say it again, these people who complain about the complaining on forums and blogs appear to have deap-seated psychological issues. 

I am saying this because everytime someone complains the reaction by some is predictably negative.

Let me see if I got this right, you are now complaining about people that complain about others complaining? If so, shoot me as I don't know where I fit in anymore. 

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

P.S. You've apparently not visited many online game forums. The WoW, Eve Online and SWTOR forums are all a hell of a lot rougher than these.

Been saying that for a long time, they are far far worse than what we see here and then outside the game bubble throw in the ebay forums to see how rough it can get.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

PudgyPaddy wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Let me see if I got this right, you are now complaining about people that complain about others complaining? If so, shoot me as I don't know where I fit in anymore. 

haha... just ask urself if ur reaction is negative.  dats the key.

With you Qwalyphi it is always fun, never negative.  and dats the key!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4416 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.