Sign in to follow this  
Innula Zenovka

Premium-only Adult areas?

A post by Qie over in the General Forum, in which he speculates about an Adult-rated Premium-only Wilderness Area, got me thinking.

Clearly -- and rightly, to my mind -- LL would rather leave creating Adult content to residents, so I can't see, for example, Premium-only Linden realms popluated by wandering tentacle monsters, as opposed to their lapidiary cousins, but I can see residents having great fun creating them (and exploring such regions), particularly once the new pathfinding and user experience tools go live.

At the moment, though, there's clearly no particular incentive for the owner of an Adult region to make it Premium only, since all that's likely to do is cut down traffic,  but if LL wanted to promote the benefits of Premium membership to residents interested in Adult Content, that would change.

It might be an interesting experiment, if nothing else, for LL to launch a request for proposals for building and operating such an area and see what ideas people come up with.    

That's what I meant, Immy -- my point was that the only way for Premium-only Adult Content to work would be to have it privately-built and privately-run, like the Adult Hub.   I was just wondering if there was any mileage in the idea.

Here's a radical thought:

Adult or not, the Lab could offer a 50% tier reduction for land with access restricted to Premium members only.

I can't guess what would happen then, but it would be interesting times, I bet.

what would be the point in it anyway? Are premium members somehow by definition "more mature" than others? Of course not. There's no practical difference except they have possibly deeper bank accounts (though many free accounts likely spend more buying L$ than premium accounts who spend the same dollars/euros/whatever on paying their membership fees).

The point -- if there is one -- of doing it would be that LL want, for obvious reasons, to increase the number of people paying for premium membership.   LL seem to have taken the view that one way to encourage people to become premium members is to offer them the inducement of being able to visit areas people with free accounts can't go -- Linden Realms in the first few weeks, and now this Wilderness thing, though I'm not sure to what extent, in reality, Wilderness is supposed to be an inducement to upgrade to premium and to what extent it's supposed to be a beta test for pathfinding.

Anyway, assuming that LL continues encouraging people to take out premium membership -- which would reduce LL's dependence on tier income, and maybe even allow them to reduce land charges (which, as a sim owner, I think would be a very welcome development) --  by offering them the opportunity to visit places they couldn't otherwise go,  the question arises of how -- if at all -- adult destinations could be involved in all this.    An important consideration in offering people this sort of perk, after all, is that you have to choose destinations people are likely to want to visit, and lots of people are interested in visiting adult destinations.   

In the past, LL's made it clear that they're not interested in running  Adult destinations themselves, but would far rather support residents in so doing, and quite right, too.    So I think Adult destinations built and run by LL would a complete non-starter.  This isn't unique to Adult destinations, of course; I could make the same case, that, in general, resident built and operated is better, about Steampunk or sci-fi or historical RP or vampires -- any sort of themed sims, though it's even more true of Adult destinations because of the nature of the content.

But this leads to the question of how you get residents to build, pay for and operate destinations for premium members only.   Destinations normally want as many visitors as possible, whatever their membership status, so  there would have to be some sort of quid pro quo from LL in return for restricting access.   Qie floats the possibility of reducing tier, which is very attractive, and guaranteed publicity over and above what's available in the Destination Guide would be another.   

I'm not pushing the idea; just raising it as a possibility because I think the results of a request for proposals could be quite interesting.  

ETA -- just noticed this over at SLU ... maybe the idea would command support in high places.