Premium Wilderness - What do you think?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In-the-wilderness.jpg

Caitlin-petting-me.jpg

Well......... I spent a couple of hours there. It was fun. Got to see many SL oldtimers, and met a few that I've only talked to on forums, blogs or profiles. Now, beyond the fun of running into people, I thought Wilderness was well done. Could, of course use some other things to do more, and I would rather see the animals running around using pathfinding rather than the bugs, but it was fun running around and finding things. Plus, I love bridges, especially old broken 1's you can fall through.

What it needs is a combat like system tho, with dinosaurs and monster to kill. Be even more fun if you throw in the larger animals eating the bugs or smaller animals, lol.

My main criticism, too many sculpties. Yeah, there was alot of mesh, that was good. It was not too laggy, and my frame rate stayed decent, even with shadows, but they still could have saved alot and gotta better frame rates by eliminating all the sculpts.  Plus, LL turned fly off. If there is no combat, or any specific reason for no fly, then let people fly, if they want. I have no problem with no fly, if there is a reason, but don't force me too when you have no reason. I changed into my Lycan, so I could, at least, jump up really high.

Overall, I like it. Thumbs up from me.:smileysurprised:

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

Dont you pay a tier for land...if you did Id have thought youd want sl to sort out lag in your own region ....

The lag on your own sim is mostly because of the items you "decide" to place there. The Wilderness sims are somewhat lag free because it is mostly mesh. It just goes to show how much you can pack in when you use mesh.

I've been there and explored, it's lovely for taking pics! Not sure about the activities, but 'games' do not really have my interest.

Last night I met a couple of people I know from the forums (Keli, Maryanne) and Twittr (Cinder!!) and from the profile feeds, and we had a hilarious time with a boat that did not work. Cool to see some Lindens showed up and tried to fix the piranha's and boat AND joking with us :).

Today I went for a photoshoot, the sims are great for playing with windlights and shadows and I ran into Medhue (see on one of the pics he posted), good times!

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Today I went for a photoshoot, the sims are great for playing with windlights and shadows and I ran into Medhue (see on one of the pics he posted), good times!

Good times! I jumped right into 1 of Caitlin's Photo sessions. I feel priviledged. Checkout Caitlin's adventures. She takes some of the best photos on the profile feeds.https://my.secondlife.com/caitlin.tobias

Jesica Dragovar wrote:

essentially looks like a mesh and premium version of the Costa Rica sims, which offer much the same as Premium Wilderness from what it looks like

oh i used to live there..also almost did a build for one of their mansions there..i love how they have the sims layed out..when you pan back from the map it looks like a country hehehehe

Not premium but can't go.  Also haven't read all this thread so apologies if this has been said:

There is too much land in SL.  When LL want to create new areas like this (which I applaud, even if I can't use them) they should build them on existing abandoned land.  It would a) make mainland more interesting, b) make mainland more valuable (by reducing supply), c) make the world feel more occupied.

is some new server side scripty stuff - pathfinding etc - which is not available yet on the main channels. so the wilderness has been made on a seperate server. is a stress test the wilderness, same as realms, of new functions/features. end of March apparently is due date for us to get ourselves

is quite ok really. the unicycle pathfinding thingys are quite fun. because of the ground tho my camera kinda jumped round a bit on that

+

fished a crab thingy out the river. won a parrot.  got my leg bit off by a alligator who then gave me crutches jejeje (:. got bananas chucked at me by a monkey. if i could have i would have chucked them back but not able to. bummer :(

+

to the linden who put out the whackamoles then is awesome that you have top score 37. but if you going to put 3 of them out for people to play on then can maybe reset two of them. 37 on all 3? is awesome and then moar orsum q; (:

+

saw a whole bunch of ancient people from 2003 and 2004. end up being friended by one of them who i think must be my great great great grandmother nearly (:  saw a mole driving a ferry boat with a whole bunch of other ancient people on. tourists i think from the heights come to get down with us lowly natives. am sure i saw one wearing slippers even. jejejeje (:  

was quite encouraging tho to see all these all old people because the few i chatted to did say that they haven't logged in for ages and ages hardly ever, but what they have been reading about these new tools lately has lead them to hope again

+

jumped up onto the highest build so i could see the jungle below. dont know why fly is turned off because the panorama view is way cool and i think other people would want to see that. maybe a balloon ride if fly is kept off

I adore it.

My only complaint is i cant build so I cant hang out there. Wish they would allow build with fastish return times.

Is fantastic.

i fished and went on a boat and explored trails. Absolutely marvellous

Anybody know what the nameof the prims that play music are? need to mute those

I went to explore the new Premium Wilderness area and I must say I am impressed.  Everything rezzed fast for me and I got decent framerates on ultra settings with my computer.  I assume the fast rezzing and good framerates were because of mesh and not the over use of sculpties like most of the user created sims use that do bring my computer to its knees.  

I started with a boat tour which went smoothly and I didn't crash at all when crossing regions.  My low script load may have helped with that.   While exploring on foot,  I corralled some guinea pig thingys to win some prizes and also wrestled an alligator. :smileylol:  The experience was very immersive and I am excited with the possiblities the new Experience and pathfinding tools will present to the creator community in SL.  

Hopefully LL will turn the new user Experience into an immersive game type of environment that helps new residents learn and stay engaged while having fun until they are ready to move on to the rest of the grid.  I think it could work.  

With all that said, I don't think the new Premium Wilderness is worth going premium just to see it, but if you do have a premium account I would reccommend taking a peek.  

My only gripe about the whole thing is it now makes me want a private island again which I am priced out of because the Tier rate for one is just too high.  :smileysad:

Anyway, the builders did a great job and I enjoyed visiting the place.  

Hunter Stern wrote:

I wish they would also open up the 'Premium Sandboxes' so that we can bring non-premium members to atleast
visit
, not be able to build, rez or  script, but would be nice to atleast be able to have my friends come see what I'm working on sometimes. It would be an easy flag too imo.

It's lonely at  the top :matte-motes-not-entertained:

That is an excellent idea.

All too often you want to create something or share with someone and then you find they can't go there :(

Surely it would encourage more premiums as well.

I have to say that after exploring The Wilderness sim(s) I was really suprised at the amount of work that actually went into it. It fits alot of things that many people currently enjoy casually. Exploring, Fishing, Animals, Photography, Boatrides, Goat rides.

The Temple Ruins are my favorite area atm, and I found a pet Jaguar to play Fetch with and won a beautiful hat for the prize:smileylol:

FruitHathaha_001.png

I forced fly to see on how my dragon could fly around the sim.   Well, it can be done just crashed on sim crossings.  There is way to much sculpties, and took around 5 minutes to rezz my dragon avatar.  My minotaur is baked textures, so it was rather quick rezz.  The fake animals should be eliiminated.  I like the sim design, but the pathfinding with the bugs is rather too fast.  Sim could be a nice capture lost world sim with monsters & Beast hunting prey. 

Yeah, the bugs definitely move too fast. I would not eliminated the animals, I'd just animate them and make them walk around in the jungle areas crossing over the walk ways. I'd rather see less of the insects and more of the animals moving. Plus, with the different functions in pathfinding, you could make some animals follow you, some run away from you and some pay no attention to you. Like, the monkeys could of had their own paths that went into the trees, and then have them jump up and down in the trees. These are all functions of the pathfinding. I didn't see much of this in the Wilderness, but I was lucky to spot the insects and things in time to tell what they were doing.

• 1 month later...

I figured I would finally try it, since I got a survey link in the main from LL about it.  But every Premium Wilderness link that I followed from the Web or the Destination guide led to a failed TP. 

(On the other hand the Premium Gifts links worked, so I spent most of the evening tooling around on the handcar; that was fun!)

Any particular reason I should be able to get to Premium Sandboxes, but not the Premium Wilderness, tonight?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4361 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.