Make a custom water setting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I stand in the beautiful sim Zigana, and found out I should play with water settings and upload a new water texture.

anewwater_005.jpganewwater_004.jpg

Default Linden water at the top, my custom water at the bottom.

Maybe you have done like me, and adjusted the Windlight settings for the sky often, but the water has just been there? 

First, I search for a water texture that is free to use. I found this one, and saved it to my computer: http://www.bibliocad.com/library/water-texture_23735

I then upload it to Second Life, it costs 10 L.

Go to World > Enviroment Editor > Water presets > New preset. Call it "New water" or something you will remember. Click on the texture under "Normal Map" and then pick the texture you just uploaded. Now let's play with the sliders!

anewwater_001.jpg

anewwater_002.jpg

anewwater_003.jpg

You need to have your preferences at Ultra and shadows enabled to really see the changes. Save it and use it to take a bit different images. 

• Like 4

If you want very still water, like a mirror, you need a solid blue texture, feel free to use this one.

solid blue.jpg

You upload it and use it instead of the normal map texture. Now, you need to set the waves to zero, both the big and small ones. See how I placed the sliders, or do i as you find best.

anewwater_010.jpg 

anewwater_011.jpg 

• Like 5

If you don't click "make this preset my new water setting", it will revert to the default water. You have to select it again, and as soon as you close the window it reverts. This is annoying, I wish it stayed up at least until you logged off. I often just minimize the window, when I take pictures. That way i can open it quick and fiddle a bit more.

• Like 2

Crossposting from the SyS thread. This is done with the mirror water effect. I obviously have done some job to even out the ugly shoulder mesh and add a fancy vignette and drop shadow, but the reflection is straight from SL.

Bigger photo and credits of what I'm wearing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27764102@N02/7012233927/in/photostream 

7012233927_b6879da050_c.jpg 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.