Second Life's Inventory

Shivan Zhang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What's the uri of Second Life's inventory tables? I need it for my OpenSIM. I'd like to make my own grid with the most recent "NewWorldStudio", but I'd love to at least be able to access my own SecondLife inventory. It would be nice to do logins through them, but somehow still have my grid seperate from them if I have to. Gridnauts isn't taking new registrations anymore. Is using their inventory tables even possible? I know there are differences between OpenSIM and SecondLife, so who knows what kind of database Linden Labs is running? I'm stick and tired of being "ruthed" trying to go from grid to grid. I want all my stuff all the time.

If its not possible, this is poking at Linden Labs to make it so! Why not have all my virtual world data with them?

Don't expect LL to make it so. The technical issues could be worked out, but there are too many legal issues regarding intellectual property rights.

I believe there are tools that you can use to export objects you've created from your inventory to an OpenSim grid, but you can't legally do the same with anything created by anyone else without the creator's consent. That includes textures you've purchased in SL and applied to your own objects.

I know the legal issues. I use "Stored Inventory" to back up what I can, and am really happy about what I copied with it before the change in the ToS to make it legally wrong to move items you haven't made yourself. Sure there is "LibOMV", but that only copies objects, not the contents. Its guess and check with a lot of work involved trying to move a lot of stuff to another grid. That's why I'd like my SecondLife inventory available in my OpenSIM. Bah, leagal mumbo jumbo...

Linden Lab (LL) and IBM worked together on what is now known in the OpenSim side of things as Hypergrid. Hypergrid is about the ability of an avatar to travel from SL to OSGrid to In-Worldz to ... on and on to other grids, with the same avatar and have it look the same in all the different grids. The ability to pull hair from my SL inventory and wear it in OSgrid was part of the plan.

There are significant problems with the process. While it more or less works in OpenSim, it is way more difficult to protect various in-world products (intellectual property) from being stolen. The result is SL has dropped out of the game. May be with new products coming from LL they will do something like this across their range of products. No rumors on that yet as we don't even know what the products are. 

One could create a viewer that does a multiple login and pulls SL inventory to your viewer. YOU might then beable to see SL items in your viewer while logged in on another grid. But, no one else would be able to see them. In the shared experience everyone goes to the Asset Server to get a copy of the thing the viewer is going to render. There is no way for another viewer to know if it needs to go to another system or not for objects, at least on the SL side of things.

For the region to handle a building it has to get a copy of those objects and calulate the physcis and handle collisions. Walking on the ground or a floor is a type of collision. I doubt LL would allow other region servers to connect to their system. 

It is a technical complexity to get what you want to work. It is a legal nightmare in respect to intellectual property. Don't expect to see it resolved this decade.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.