How can I make my avatar like 2 feet tall?

Rio132

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to make my avatar like 2 feet tall, but I don't know where to look on the market for shapes. since all I can find it 6-8 :(

I want my avi, to be like a toddler. So could someone tell me how to shrink my avi down to like 2 feet? I think I need something between micro and tiny shapes or something. (avatar is an animal, dunno if it matters or not.)

(to be precise its 2'4" )

3 answers to this question

You can't go that small with just the avatar appearance controls. The sliders won't make you any shorter than 3 feet 9 inches tall, as measured at the eye's height.

To get smaller, you have to crush and hide the actual avatar body, and replace it entirely with a body made of prims, sculpted prims or mesh. With a prim or sculpted prim method, the scripted attachment that crushes and hides your body also would have to include animation overriders that replace all the standard animations for walking, running, and any other sort of body movement, and things like dance animations and furniture have to be specially crafter to use those animations and not the normal ones. This sort of avatar also requires special clothes. There is a class of avatars called "Tinys" that do this, with standardized methods that allow the different tiny avatars to use furniture and clothes and animations built for that class of avatar.

Mesh allows an avatar to get very small. There's an avatar type called "petites" that are extremely tiny, using a mesh replacement body. But as with prim Tinys, the Petites can't wear normal clothes, and have other specialized limits. Mesh isn't user modifiable, so you couldn't scale a "Petite" avatar up to a 2 foot height.

From a notecard I wrote on the subject, before Mesh existed:

Avatars and objects in Second Life are larger than in real life, by default. There are two main reasons for this. The default visual perspective of the follow-camera is a couple meters behind and above the avatars's eyes, and this makes everything "look small" if it is scaled accurately. And the scripted command that is used by virtually every "Avatar Ruler" to report an avatar's height actually measures only to the height of their eyes. Add to this the fact that by adding prims and scripted attachments, some avatars may be as large as a full-grown dragon, and the end result is that most buildings, vehicles and furniture in Second Life are scaled at 1.25 to 1.5 times the "Realistic" size. Most people simply accept this, after a while, since trying to make an "accurately sized" avatar gives you a form that is too small for most of the world around you.

The height of an avatar is affected by several factors: The obvious factor is the Height slider, which does a proportional scaling of the whole avatar. But neck length, torso length, hip length and leg length also contribute to how tall or how short you actually are, as does the gender of your avatar, and any shoes or other attachments that you may be wearing that affect your height.

Here's the defaults and the height ranges that can be reached with just the appearance controls, as reported by an avatar ruler (so this is actually the avatar's eye height) :
======================
Default height for the "Male Outfit 3" avatar is 6'5" tall.
From that default, move the height slider to 100 and he is 6'11" tall
From that default, move the height slider to 0 and he is 5'2" tall

By streaching every body part that affects height to max values, he could be 7'4" tall
By compresing every body part that affects height to min values, he could be 4'1" tall
======================
Default height for the "Female Outfit 3" avatar is 5'7"" tall.
From that default, move the height slider to 100 and she is 6'5" tall
From that default, move the height slider to 0 and she is 4'9" tall

By streaching every body part that affects height to max values, she could be 7'0" tall
By compresing every body part that affects height to min values, she could be 3'9" tall
======================

Smaller avatars, called "Tinys" or "Minis", can be made by using a scripted attachment called an animation overrider (or AO) that compresses the body into a folded up ball, and interprets normal movements commands in ways that appropriately move attached prim arms, legs and other parts. Note that these tiny avatars can not use the same animations for sitting on furniture, dancing, or other activities that other avatars can use. There are special animations, furniture and vehicles made just for these ultra-small avatars. Small butterflies and other "impossibly small" avatars can be made this way.

Gigantic avatars are also possible, again by using an animation overrider (or AO) that raises the body off the ground, and possibly also compresses body into a folded up ball, and which interprets normal movements commands in ways that appropriately move attached prim arms, legs and other parts. Some of these gigantic avatars may be 50 M tall or more! But as with the tinies, these giants are much more limited in how they can interact with animations and furnishings and vehicles.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4421 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.