first impressions

Lydia Craig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Several first impressions that may bear watching.  One inventory seems to be loading easier, but apparently there is some problem with the opition load to the last location in log in, it does not seem to want to work, yet choosing home works fine even when you are logging into virtually the same locations.  This to me indicates a problem with the interface with the database during log in and perhaps a time out problem.

Second ports are creating more and longer lag apparently and in some servers such as turnip this lag simply does not go away this will bear watching and testing with various viewer, and as more information becomes available I will report it though there is a good chance that the server there may settle down as others such as Osbourn Walk already have done. One other positive sign is that it is now costing far less memory to operate in a server though again that needs to watched to see if it continues.  Overall, I suspect that this rollback has been more successful than I would have expected and might even be called a strategic withdrawal. Ultimately, though the full verdict will not come for several days when we see what other problems may pop up and be corrected, and in the end none of this matters in the long run unless the problems in the database are successfully fixed and there is no indication anyone is even close to doing that yet.

You can follow what is happening behind the scenes in SL developement here and on Inara's blog. That will get you past these being 'first impressions' of a change. If you are first seeing things in Deploys for the week of... you are at least a week behind. 

There is a rebalancing of servers in progress. It may even be complete. We should see a blog post soon. The rebalancing is probably having the most affect on performance this and last week. The same server code has run on the main grid for two weeks. The recent roll back was only from the release channels.

The idea of rebalancing is to get regions geographically adjacent in SL into physically adjacent servers in the hosting facility.

Ansariel's question is pertinant. Depending on who you hope will find your information, your 'subject' needs to be much more explanatory. I expected a new user giving their first impressions of SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.