Direct Delivery Launching March 21, 2012

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

Dear CTL,

The Notice posted in the Merchant Home part of the Marketplace contains a link to more information:

March 20, 2012

Marketplace will be down between 9:30 and 10:30 am on March 20, 2012
for a release in preparation for the Direct Delivery launch on March 21, 2012. Please see
for more information.

The Link does not work:

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

Please fix this, so Merchants can see the information (if new) that's been provided. All we have to go on at this point is the original Beta information.

Please help us as Merchants, and help the Residents be prepared for this change/and associated changes being deployed.

There seems to be no place to get reliable information on what to expect and how to continue selling on MP following the rollout tomorrow.  The beta notes have a statement that they're not reliable and redirect to MP, which has the same OLD information.  The link referenced above does not work for anyone

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly as we all know that is not how LL Commerce Team releases new features and functions on MP.

They have a habbit of making the change and then saying "Taaadaaaa!!!  Look what we did!" after the change.  More often than not - with bugs that we have to find for them and suffer with until they fix them.

With more SL Residents shopping thru MP than inworld - LL should have already started the process of Socializing Direct Delivery to the masses ...explaining what it is, how it works, what the benefits will be, etc..  This does not mean sending out a new Thread in the Merchant forum that 99% of SL resident would never see.  This needs to be like a few weeks of on MP splash screens with links to a forum blog posting.

But ... sigh.... this wont likely be what happens.

Sassy,

this information should be on the tutorial that LCT posted to Merchants in draft.  I asked the question right away that it was missing from the guide.... no prerequisites mentioned for Merchants wanting to use DD.

As such it implies that a specific viewer is not required but it seems clear that one is.

So.... to LL Commerce Team.

Please post what are current workable viewers that Merchant's must have before considering migrating to DD?

Firestorm and Phoenix both recently released new updates but I dont know if this was for DD.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Sassy,

this information should be on the tutorial that LCT posted to Merchants in draft.  I asked the question right away that it was missing from the guide.... no prerequisites mentioned for Merchants wanting to use DD.

As such it implies that a specific viewer is not required but it seems clear that one is.

So.... to LL Commerce Team.

Please post what are current workable viewers that Merchant's must have before considering migrating to DD?

Firestorm and Phoenix both recently released new updates but I dont know if this was for DD.

Toy... we both know that in all published project methodologies, it's imperative that a project team, via it's Project Manager (or Product Manager) communicates with its major stakeholders.

The information therefore must have been provided to the MAJOR stakeholders, therefore be simple deduction, merchants and customers are NOT the major stakeholders of the Marketplace. :)

In answer to the question, (/me puts my Sassy Linden hat on *joke that Brooke will get*), you will need a viewer that handles Received Items (which should be any viewer) in order to receive and to upload, you'll need a viewer that offers the Merchant Outbox.  This includes Firestorm which exposes it in a rather odd place.  I suspect (hope) that other current viewers (i.e. those based on current LL code) will offer it in the expected place in Inventory like the Received Items folder).

I wouldn't expect Phoenix or any other v1's to offer it but i'm happy to be surprised.

Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

I'm into the old school viewers
:)

I'm guessing the viewer only matters for the upload activity, and I could continue using my dinosaur viewer for every day use- if the older viewers end up not supporting the outbox feature?

Yes.  Pretty much in the same way as the first mesh deployments for older viewers would see mesh but didn't have the upload option.

Sassy Romano wrote:

It won't take 5 minutes per item.  It's as long as it takes to copy all 500 items up to the outbox and sync which will be a one off process, then use the web console to drop down the list of available objects to select one for each listing.

How long does it take to open a listing, drop down the object list and pick?  half a minute tops if you go slowly maybe?

Market place is very slow. It can take much longer than 5 mins. ;=0

BellaDonna Mocha wrote:

P.S.  I hope hope hope that this migration to DD the marketplace listings will not be needing to be re-done.  This includes the "associate Items" , the permissions,  the pictures, etc.  With the last migration wamo...  nearly all my listings had no pictures or permission.   Please Please Please include the "associated items" in the migration...  I've just spent months and months and  hours and hours almost getting those updated...  Honestly since the last migration I've completly stopped socializing in SL and have devoted all of my available time to fixing the problems and issues caused by the last migration.  I was finally starting to think I could start "playing" in SL again... but now I'm afraid that it could be months or even years away again.    

To this I can relate. I, too, am in the same boat. I never finished it either. There's only me, myself and I working on my store. LOL 

Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

It has been asked several times- Can you please give a yay or nay- Will DD work with 3rd party viewers or only with the LL viewer? This is pretty damn important for us to know, thanks!

I think the reason you won't get a direct answer from LL on this is because they do not control nor are they responsible for tracking the features provided by Third-Party Viewers. If you have a particular favorite, I recommend you contact the authors directly and ask them.

I do know that my personal favorite, Firestorm, now supports the Merchant Outbox. I don't however know about any others.

Yea, I am pretty positive that they won't be updating my viewer of choice anytime soon lol. I was hoping it was more of a server-side thing instead of client side. I can probably manage to drag myself IW with Firestorm long enough to upload though, so there's that.

Over all, I don't think this looks all bad, but I'll be waiting a week or 2 to see if there are any horror stories.

Jade Winthorpe wrote:

Well this sucks... My items don't have the exact name as my listing names because I label them with "box" and such, so that means I will have to manually change EVERY listing according to this beta page in the knowledge base. :matte-motes-crying:

Jade,

The Direct Delivery automatic conversion will not use the Product Name but will instead use the name of the "Associated Object" .. meaning the name of the object inside your Magic Box that is delivered when a customer purchases the product.

So for example, if you are selling a "Super Widget 3000" that is delivered to the customer as the "Super Widget 3K Delivery Box", when you create a Product Folder in the Merchant Outbox that is named "Super Widget 3K Delivery Box" and send it up to the Marketplace, the Delivery Method for your product named "Super Widget 3000" will automatically change from Magic Box to Direct Delivery.

You can create a Product Folder in one of two methods. Either manually create the folder, name it and then put the various parts of the product inside it, or by dropping an object into the Merchant Outbox. In the former method (manually creating the folder) make sure you give it the same name as the object you have been delivering ("Super Widget 3K Delivery Box'). In the latter method, simply copy the delivered object from the Contents Tab of your Magic Box and drop it directly into the Merchant Outbox; it will automatically create a new folder with the same name and will trigger the automatic change from MB to DD delivery when you send it up to the Marketplace.

Zaphod Kotobide wrote:

Is this happening today? Eerily quiet. 

Yes, it is supposedly.  So far, no switches flipped.  I agree though...it's really quiet up to this point.  But, they've only been at work for 2 hours at the Lab.  Maybe they had a staff meeting or something.  We've had no specific time it will go live just that it will be today.  I'm watching closely.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.