Direct Delivery Launching March 21, 2012

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

For those who would like to review some of the documentation we will be releasing on March 21, we have had Beta versions of these documents up since we launched the Direct Delivery Beta. Here are a couple of links to those documents:

If you would like to try Direct Delivery out and get some of your questions answered that way, please try it out on the

Just read through the Migration Guide Draft.

I didnt notice any Merchant Prerequisites for Merchants prior to migration so I have to assume that Merchant's DD migration and MP product uploading / updating is Viewer Agnostic.

If that is the case, when does this MERCHANT FOLDER show up on all our viewers?  Will this pop up on my Phoenix or Firestorm viewers on March 21st?  My Phoenix does not have a ME> menu items so what are the migration steps for different generations of viewers (i.e. the Phoenix vs the LL3/Firestorm viewers).

How does a Merchant update a product into MP via this process?  If I migrate product XYZ-v1 and the following week I want to upgrade it to XYZ-v2 how does this work?  How bout if I update my product without changing its name (i.e. no version label on the name of the product...  XYZ then XYZ)?  What does this do to the MP and DD when the new product with the same name is uploaded?

The majority of Viewers on the market are NOT LL Viewer 2/3.  So the same would hold true on the percent of Merchants that use LL viewer vs Phoenix / Firestorm. 

I guess if the answer is "You cant be a MP DD Merchant unless you use LL's Viewer" it gives me and most other merchants another reason to delay the migration to DD (not that I was going to be the first anyway - more like the last).

Hopefully by the time LL decides to shut down Magicbox delivery - all the TPV's will support Merchant MP Support.

Me wonders if when I choose to stay with the good old reliable 'box' delivery method right to the end IF I will still be able to add new product in the traditional way as well or will I be forced to practice the DD method after the 21st for all new products.

Just a thought!

^L^

How is this going to effect personal inventory size if all the pieces parts like object, notecards, textures, scripts, in world landmarks, ect. are no longer to be boxed but folder oriented ?  I like to keep my inventory as low as possible and nest alot of items in boxes, it sounds like it is going to really increase with the new system.  With the Magic Box, you can make an extra copy to keep in inventory  and/or  on another sim for back up, how will you do this in DD?  Because we all know that our inventories never get screwed up or have things deleted out of them by the system.   Is the folder going to be a systems folder that cannot be accidently deleted?  

Like V1, I am hanging on to the "old way" for as long as I can till  the bugs are worked out of it. Customers have a hard time with using MP now, are we pushed to inworld stores only?  I just resolved issues with the small amount I sell and am not looking forward to this.  Are we going to get better stat reporting information? What is out there from the last upgrade is total crap and has been for a long time.

Anyone know if Phoenix/Firestorm will be able to handle this on 3/21?

Oh well this makes my blood run cold -- what indeed are we to do if the Received folder is the inventory sieve that all the others are?  Because my inventory full loads about once every ten days. Do they have some special magic to prevent inventory loss in that folder? 

I didn't think so.

Ah here we go - I knew I'd heard this somewhere previously:

Automatic association

If an uploaded item has the same name as an existing Magic Box listing, association is handled automatically and the existing listing will begin selling the item via Direct Delivery.  Automatic association may fail if an existing listing's associated item has already been manually changed, which may often occur as a result of product updates.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Marketplace-Direct-Delivery-migration-guide-Direct-Delivery-Beta/ta-p/1293139

Zanara Zenovka wrote:

Ah here we go - I knew I'd heard this somewhere previously:

Automatic association

If an uploaded item has the same name as an existing Magic Box listing, association is handled automatically and the existing listing will begin selling the item via Direct Delivery.  Automatic association may fail if an existing listing's associated item has already been manually changed, which may often occur as a result of product updates.

Well, if that works properly then that will make things a little easier.

If that actually works then all we do is open magic boxes, copy to inventory, delete the scripts in the inventory folder(s), and bulk copy the folder over to the dd source directory. Maybe 10 at a time to make sure they get there.

I'll still hold off a bit and see if the sky falls. In theory DD will be tons better than having to rely on LSL scripts that are subject to the whims of the load placed on the region from the other regions on the same host..

I hope it does work. I would love some good news for a change. Might even make me want to finish learning mesh and start making stuff again.

Ann, so nice to read an opinion from a familiar name. Hope you've been well :)

I have not been around as much as I use to be, and probably will never be a SL regular again, I do answer customer questions as soon as I can (usually within a few hours) & keep up with a few SL friends... I've been sick the last few months and am trying to train my husband to run the business if the worst case scenario happens & he has to take over... which is a bit ironic, because I became involved with SL so I could work at home in order to be here to take care of him while he was sick. He had a total recovery, and I was so happy, but now... I'm the one going through Chemotherapy... my next one is the 27th, so I will hopefully have time to deal with this before that makes me feel really sick again.

My main problem with this being that I've found the newer viewers confusing and annoying, I still use the Second Life 1.23.5 (136262) Oct 14 2009 12:08:26 (Second Life Release) and really do not want to use any of the newer viewers on a regular basis. so if you, or anyone, knows of any that are as easy as the old 1.23.5  that will work with the new DD let me know

I hope DD will be an improvement, but kinda doubt it based on past migration experiences ;) So I agree with you Ann that "I hope it does work. I would love some good news for a change. Might even make me want to finish learning mesh and start making stuff again."

I still make textures, and sometimes, especially if a good customer has requested them, I will upload & list the set, but I hardly ever make very many sales on new items, but my good old best sellers I still make a few bucks, like a quarter of what sales were before the last migration. It's still well worth the trouble, and sometimes being a merchant on SL is almost as much fun as it was in 2005/08.

>Hopefully by the time LL decides to shut down Magicbox delivery - all the TPV's will support Merchant MP Support.

I'll be damned if I'm going to start using LL's own viewers just to be able to conduct my business.

That's kind of like showing up at a RL job one morning and being told, "OH, BTW - the boss now insists that you do your job with this 100-pound block of concrete strapped to your ass."

tomgenoo Alenquer wrote:

But....I wonder, if one of my items is uploaded using the DD system...and after some time I want to update my product, will the DD system on LL's side automatically remove the older version? How does it know which one should be delivered if it suddenly sees 2 of the same items?

Fortunately, there is no need to "wonder".

Follow the instructions that have been provided, log in to Aditi and try it for yourself :)

I agree with Ann here.  If we do have to update our magic boxes for this Direct Delivery this would be a waste of time for content creators to update what they already have.  In theory this seems to be a good idea but I think I will wait and see how well this is fully accepted before I change how I sell my products.

Well I think it does sound like a good idea in theory I agree that the content creators selling products shouldnt have to change their magic boxes as this does waste time.  I think I will wait to see how well this idea is really accepted before I go making a decision on where I fully stand on this.  If this impacts Third Party Viewers before you go rolling this out fully it would be wise to provide the code to the developers so it can all be rolled out at the same time as well.

I like the second life, but I know how to make nothing inside because everything is paying by by credit card, except which he(it) would be simple to be able to make by telephone or automatic transfer, because I have no credit card. In IMVU it is feasible then why not in the second life. Damage.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J'adore second life, mais je ne sais rien faire dedans car tout est payant par carte de crédit, hors qu'il serais simple de pouvoir faire par téléphone ou virement automatique, car je n'ai pas de carte de crédit. Dans IMVU c'est faisable alors pourquoi pas dans second life. Dommage.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myn profil IMVU

Dear CTL,

The Notice posted in the Merchant Home part of the Marketplace contains a link to more information:

March 20, 2012

Marketplace will be down between 9:30 and 10:30 am on March 20, 2012 for a release in preparation for the Direct Delivery launch on March 21, 2012. Please see the Beta Release Notes for more information.

The Link does not work:

The page you were looking for doesn't exist.

You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.

Please fix this, so Merchants can see the information (if new) that's been provided. All we have to go on at this point is the original Beta information.

Also, the inworld groups are buzzing about the upcoming changes, but other than the announcement on our Merchant Home with a non-working link, there's no Official information provided for the entire SL population. Information needs to be communicated to Merchants and Residents before DD goes "live". People have no idea which viewers will work at this point, or, if there are additional changes being deployed at the same time as DD. Merchants are the front line of information for customers, but there's no way for us to help educate our customers about the new system if you don't provide complete information to us.

Please help us as Merchants, and help the Residents be prepared for this change/and associated changes being deployed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.