Direct Delivery Launching March 21, 2012

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Resident

Beginning on March 21, purchases on the Marketplace using Direct Delivery will go directly to recipient’s Received Items folder. The Received Items folder will NOT be used for other inventory transfers at this time. Magic Box purchases will continue to go to the Objects folder.

The Delivery folder will appear on the order and in all email notifications to the recipient.
Screen shot 2012-03-13 at 11.58.25 AM.png

At launch, we will be sharing additional details as well as updated Knowledge Base articles in all four languages supported on the Marketplace. We will also provide more details on migration.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Do you have an estimate as to when you'll begin sharing your plans on the "Enhanced Received Items" folder? (The one that will receive offline inventory transfers, etc.)

ETA: I love that you are printing the destination folder on the Order and in the email. Good idea. That will REALLY help people find things in their Inventory. +2 Kudos!

Like Darrius, I'd like know more about the enhanced received items folder.  I understand that at launch, it will only receive items from the Marketplace and I REALLY like that the listing will show the customers *where* the item will be delivered, so that's a good idea.  

Or is offline deliveries going to be fixed at the same time?

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

The Direct Delivery launch does NOT include sending items besides Direct Delivery items to the Received Items folder. Changes to send additional items to the Received Items folder are currently on hold.

OK.  Understood!  Only other question then would be; with the rollout, will the offline delivery problem be fixed?

Thank you for the announcement. And, thank you for listening to the feedback. From my pov, I think taking this conversion a step at a time is wise (so, as you are doing, starting with RI folder only for DD deliveries from the MP) and will allow all of us to discover any possible glitches with the system before going to something more complicated. (I know it has been in Beta, but inevitably, things do crop up once something is released into production.) The notation on the Order regarding where the purchase will arrive (Objects folder or RI folder) will be very helpful.

A few questions:

1) When will details regarding "how" to implement this from a Merchant side be announced? For instance, which viewer(s) are compatible, how to migrate products, how to migrate listings, etc. Only a fraction of Merchants read or participate in these forums, so how will the information be communicated to the entire Merchant population?

2) How will this be announced to all of SL? All residents will need to learn about this system (actually, the dual system of Magic Boxes and DD/RI).

3) Is there a timetable for how long Merchants can keep the Magic Box system (if we so choose)?

4) Will Merchants be able to have some items in Magic Boxes and some in the DD system?

CommerceTeam Linden wrote:

The Direct Delivery launch does NOT include sending items besides Direct Delivery items to the Received Items folder. Changes to send additional items to the Received Items folder are currently on hold.

sounds good...hopefully that is the end product too. i.e this new folder only receives Marketplace items purchased.

Don't spoil it with any future additional items.

How does this effect all the 3rd Party Viewers? .....they'll need to add in this new code asap?

>The Direct Delivery launch does NOT include sending items besides Direct Delivery items to the Received Items folder. Changes to send additional items to the Received Items folder are currently on hold.

So if I read this to mean that items not sent by Direct Delivery will just get sh#tcanned, rather than actually sent anywhere, in what way would my reading be inconsistent with what is actually being said?

I think you read that wrong. Things will be business as usual except for DD items which will land in their assigned received items folder structure.

I am still wondering how the existing magic boxes will be automatically converted. The idea we must manually convert is unacceptable. Every time I turn around I am faced with burning weeks on commerce team "ideas".

CTL, please can you confirm for me *precisely* at what point in the disparate processes does the ANS notification occur in the Direct Delivery mechanism?  Specifically is it AFTER the merchant has been paid or before it?

I still hold the belief that all that Direct Delivery is doing is substituting web to magic box communications while leaving the rest of the non transactional processes still in place and architecturally dysfunctional.

As we have seen, failures on the part of LL infrastructure have in the past caused a merchant headache due to what feels like several loosely coupled processes and an escrow account "Commerce Linden" that will be wholly redundant once Direct Delivery is deployed in full.

Also, great news that DD is finally getting here, does this also mean that this frees up development resource to plan the next major project, the one that we've all been asking for since MP began:-

"Email notification when a review is left"

Ann Otoole wrote:

I am still wondering how the existing magic boxes will be automatically converted. The idea we must manually convert is unacceptable. Every time I turn around I am faced with burning weeks on commerce team "ideas".

I do believe that they have already stated that they won't be automatically converted but will require that the content of the magic box is dragged to the Marketplace out box and then products re-associated in MP.

It won't take 5 minutes per item.  It's as long as it takes to copy all 500 items up to the outbox and sync which will be a one off process, then use the web console to drop down the list of available objects to select one for each listing.

How long does it take to open a listing, drop down the object list and pick?  half a minute tops if you go slowly maybe?

Sassy Romano wrote:

CTL, please can you confirm for me *precisely* at what point in the disparate processes does the ANS notification occur in the Direct Delivery mechanism?  Specifically is it AFTER the merchant has been paid or before it?

I still hold the belief that all that Direct Delivery is doing is substituting web to magic box communications while leaving the rest of the non transactional processes still in place and architecturally dysfunctional.

As we have seen, failures on the part of LL infrastructure have in the past caused a merchant headache due to what feels like several loosely coupled processes and an escrow account "Commerce Linden" that will be wholly redundant once Direct Delivery is deployed in full.

Also, great news that DD is finally getting here, does this also mean that this frees up development resource to plan the next major project, the one that we've all been asking for since MP began:-

"Email notification when a review is left"

^ This.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Ann Otoole wrote:

I do believe that they have already stated that they won't be automatically converted but will require that the content of the magic box is dragged to the Marketplace out box and then products re-associated in MP.

I would have thought the reassociating could have been automated as long as the file names matched?

Great news, and not just for current merchants; I look forward to seeing new products from creators who've avoided listing on the Marketplace due to land issues or reluctance to mess with Magic Boxes.

It'll remove one of the obstacles I've faced, and it'll motivate me to get new content listed for Direct Delivery. Looking forward to more information regarding existing boxes, though. I'd be in the "late adopter, procrastinator" column on converting from Magic Boxes if it turns out to be more than simply dragging items into the products folder.

Guess I'd better try testing it on Aditi, as the early adopters have been doing. ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4158 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.