What FPS speed could I get with this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Trying to run SL on a laptop is going to be a painful proposition. They just don't have strong enough graphics cards (due to size and power consumption issues) so don't expect much.

This question gets asked at least 5 times a day and the snswer is always the same. Don't if you can help it.

I really wish this would get stickied somewhere.

The reason it's asked 5 times a day is because of answer's like that. Obviously if someone is getting a laptop to game, they have a certain reason why. Are they capable of running games? Yes! Very well. Not as well as a desktop would (we get that). Asking a simple question is reaching out to other's who use or have used the specifications directed towards.

No reason to get mad. Search is your friend.

Also remember that none of us here (as far as I know) are engineers for Nvidia or ATI. How are we supposed to know the exact framerate you can expect?

SL is NOT LIKE ANY OTHER MMO out there. All the 3-D objects are created by amateurs, not professional 3-D artists and they're not optimized to run on the lowest common hardware. Just because you can play BF3 with ok performance doesn't mean you can run SL for this reason.  If you'd done a search you'd have found this answer.

Don't shoot the messenger.

shaneethepain wrote:

Specifications:
2.40 GHz Intel Core i3-370M Processor 4.0 GB Memory (RAM) 500 GB Hard Drive DVD+/-RW Optical Drive NVIDIA GeForce 310M Graphics + Intel HD Graphics 64 MB Dedicated Graphics Memory 14.0" Display 1366 x 768 Resolution

I would check for reviews and benchmarks for the graphics card and processor.

Just a quick (very quick) search brought up some reviews.

The nVidia card looks to be an entry level card that seems to barely run many modern games on low settings.  The i3 processor also looks like it is a low end CPU not meant for gaming.

I wouldn't expect great results with SL.

I was using an intel T4200 cpu with whatever graphics are built in.  On low settings I would get as high as 20fps on relatively empty sims and even 12fps with several people standing around.  A prim heavy sim would effectively shut me down.   

The computer you have spec'ed is better than that, so you should see better fps.  How good? Not honestly sure, but I have read several of the threads on this topic and my new laptop has better specs than you are looking at---putting it all together I would guess you'll see a boost of 50% or so over my T4200.  30-35fps on low settings, empty sim.  Probably at or below 20fps on medium settings, empty sim.   

If you have the option a desktop does indeed give a bigger return on investment.  I know a lot of folks are trying to buy one computer for multiple uses, often requiring something portable.  If you absolutely need the portability then understand that you will be paying a premium for good SL performance.  (Good, not excellent.) 

Honestly there is no way for us to say for sure what you should be getting for fps since so many factors play into it. Even if I had the same exact laptop as you I might have different frame rates. Its going to depend not only on your computer specs, but the settings for your desktop, how much you have running in the background on your computer, what your settings are in sl, what the server state is like, how much stuff is around you that needs to be rendered and lastly your connection.

I can tell you that a laptop running Intel graphics with shared memory is not going to perform stellar in sl. You will not  be running in ultra, and for sure no shadows. I doubt even high will work. Maybe some tweaked version of mid settings will work. You really won't know until you try and start messing with stuff to see what makes a difference.

And I would guess crowded clubs or welcome centers will  be a problem for you as well.

If I were buying a Lap Top where running SL was a major concern, I'd be choosing either

A. I know someone who has the EXACT SAME model and SL runs fine or,

B. From a store that has a 'generous' return/exchange policy, especially if I were buying a lower end model.

as a baseline;

if you run it on Mid, set to 96m draw distance, turn off atmospheric shaders and shadows, anistropic and anti-aliasing then will run quite fast, 60fps in the sky, 40fps on the ground in a quiet sim. in a busy sim with 40 avatars then 20fps

my lappy has less power than this one - i3 and 230m gfx -, and thats what i get using any v3 based viewer. more checked options and it goes quite a bit slower obviously. shadows and draw distance the big killers ime

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

LOL, tell me what color is the sky in your world? Are there any humans in it? LOL you are so second life, is the insanity catching?

Well, if I saw the moon turning to blood I might really start to worry.

We do see a lot of "the world is coming to an end SL won't run on my lap top" threads here.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

No reason to get mad. Search is your friend.

Also remember that none of us here (as far as I know) are engineers for Nvidia or ATI. How are we supposed to know the exact framerate you can expect?

SL is NOT LIKE ANY OTHER MMO out there. All the 3-D objects are created by amateurs, not professional 3-D artists and they're not optimized to run on the lowest common hardware. Just because you can play BF3 with ok performance doesn't mean you can run SL for this reason.  If you'd done a search you'd have found this answer.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Honestly, you're acting like a jerk, I think the TC has every right to get mad at you.

@16 - The NVIDIA GeForce 310M Graphics is NOT better than the 230M. Refer to this for the 310M link and this link for the 230M to compare benchmarks. The 230M is clearly better than the 310M by a long shot.

@shaneethepain based on the benchmarks of that video card, I don't think it wouldn't even run SL on low at playable FPS. I think I responded to one of your other posts where you had a question regarding another laptop. Like I said there, if you prefer a laptop, I suggest you take a look at this link - this website has tonns of notebook graphic cards and benchmarks, so you can compare them there and from there you can do some searching with one your satisfied with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4392 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.