Sign in to follow this  
Pargo Lynwood

SL Viewer will not launch_____ HOST NOT FOUND error

Hi, 

SL Viewer - the latest version-  will not launch-     It tries and then displays a white screen that says "Host not Found"

then an very unhelpful message appears saying "Check your Windows Firewall setting".

Well I have,  nothing is wrong.       Strange,   SL Beta will work ok-  although it is prone to catastrophic crashes,  lol.

Oh and Firestorm and Phoenix,  and Imprudence all work just fine,  with far fewer crashes. Anyone have a clue whats wrong?......(its not SL voice).   Both Secondlife Beta and Secondlife are set for access thru Windows Firewall. 

Do you see Second Life in your firewall's Allowed Access page? Is SL set to automatic?

You could be missing a plug-in.

Edit: I see now that you did mention that SL is showing in the firewall,

Just some tipcs from me :)

Check TDR's links. Also check to see if your internet connection is stable. Try reconnection and see if that helps and clearing your cache.  HOST NOT FOUND is a connection issue (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks to all who answered.........it helped me do a systematic check....      so  HEY!  its working now!!    :)

#1.     Uninstall Second Life    _____-an UPDATE will not fix the problem--   the problem is you have to turn WEB PROXY off!!     An update should be written to overwrite all past settings.... I know it is irritating to have to turn off typing animation,  (hahah what a dumb feature),   and have to reset your graphic settings,  but THAT is nothing compared to having it crash all the time.

There was nothing wrong with my Internet connection--  the Web proxy feature caused it to fail to connect.

#2.      Reinstall Second Life -    and preferably  go back a few versions from the last one you installed.....

#3.    Test it out----see how things work- watch for error msgs........

#4.  if the older update works-    then try the next newer one..

also check out Niran's Viewer-    really wild   - like one of the posters mentioned....

if all else fails, go out and buy a  new video card,   When you can run in Ultra mode with shadows, its really cool.   8^)