Can i modify freebies and resale them?

redfox12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Just because an item is a freebie doesn't mean that its creator has abandoned his/her intellectual property rights.  If you are selling someone else's work as if it were yours, you are cheating them out of recognition for the creation.  One of the perplexing questions about creations, however, is how much you need to modify someone else's work before it becomes yours.  The only way that can be decided is in court.  If the creator of a freebie house thinks that you haven't modified it enough, he can file a complaint with Linden Lab under DCMA, a federal law.  If you or the creator decide to press the issue, you have to do it in a RL court.  You can read more about LL's intellectual property policy here >>> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Intellectual_Property and about its DCMA policy here >>> http://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php .

Personally, I can't see much fun in modifying someone else's creation instead of making my own anyway, and I'd rather avoid having to worry about whether I had stepped over the wrong line.  But that's me.

• Like 1

You MIGHT be able to...although most freebies are No Transfer.

But, it would be a bad thing to do.  You're defrauding your buyers, since they could get the same item for free elsewhere.  And it's theft of intellectual property, which is against the law, not just the LL Terms of Service.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4422 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.