buying alienware mk11 will it work with sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"would this work with the med settings on sl  and will the mesh still able to work."

--------------------------------------------------------

On mid settings, yes.  In fact it probably will work on high settings with a minor performance hit (a few less FPS and a little longer rez time for textures and objects).  You'll be able to run the mesh enabled viewers.  With shadows enabled, I'm pretty sure your going to see a hefty performance hit with significant longer rez times and up to a 50% decrease in FPS.

When someone asks if a computer will work on SL, my first question is always "what is your definition of 'work'?"  I'm pretty tolerant of slow rez times and can stand looking at 15 FPS.  But for someone else that is unbearable to endure.  If you want great performance in SL you're going to need a top end video card, 8 to 12 GB of system RAM, an Internet connection of 5 mbps tested to the LL servers (wireless connections just will not work with any consistancy), and some knowledge of background programs and processes and how to optimize that.......and last, but not least, something other than a laptop.  If just want SL to run, almost any mid level computer (either desktop or laptop) will do.

well i do know all about the wireless connection probleam with sl lucky it has a lan cable so am able switch over so i can upload my mesh that way with out the hassle i have a mk17 model... thats pretty broken ati radion  installments wont work and fault motherboard powerplug joint i could get this fixed but this person wont do it becuse its to risky fixing it might just end up frying the motherboard instade of rescuseing it so basically i keep it as spare parts.... or maybe a server

A word about Alienware:

TOO EXPENSIVE!

Oh crap, that was 2 words :smileyfrustrated:

But honest now, Alienware are only living from their good name they made for that brand in the past. You'll find other lappies with better specs for far less money. And 11" screen? You can't be serious.

for laptop look at the MSI and Asus..they blow away the alienware laptops..by a day and a mile heheheh

for the money you would spend on an alienware..look into what you can get from an ASUS and MSI..i think you would see you will get more bang for your buck..

this review is from june of last year..so  they may have better updated systems now..

which i believe it's very possible..i haven't looked in a couple of months on laptops..i'm still in shopping mode myself..but MSI and ASUS have been what i have been eyeing the most for what i like..i'm just waiting for things to settle a little in 2012 before i get mine..i was gonna go desktop..but i've been wanting a laptop for myself for awhile now..

A direct answer to your question:

intel core 2 Duo

8 giga bytes of ram

Gefore GT 335M with 1G

Yes. any laptop/desktop computer with a Dual Core processor, 4+ GB ram, and a Geforce GT graphics card can run SL reallywell.

Regarding Alienware, yes I agree.  Alienware promotes itself as a brand name.  The brand name itself is what makes its products expensive.  You could find other computer with equal system specs at much cheaper prices.

Porky Gorky wrote:

It's just Dell in fancy dress.

isn't that who really owns them now?

i know i was looking at them not too long back because i was in a lazy mood about just getting a system already built rather than picking out things for a system..

the thing i found is there are not any that are just off the shelf like that..not in desktops anyways..

even laptps you have to still hit the extras list to really get something that has some bang to it hehehe

but i remember something about Dell owning Alien now..

and really seeing that alien is all bells and whistles..more like wind chimes when i'm really looking for something more on the lines of gong and fog horn lol

Performance wise computer specs are computer specs. It really doesn't matter who's name is on the outside of it. They all pretty much have the same parts inside.

The deal with alienware is that their products are, or used to be at any rate geared toward the gamer. Basically it was like having a custom built gaming rig, but it was already done for you. And at one time that is exactly what they were doing, building custom gaming rigs for people. So normally to start with you were already getting something with great specs compared to what you would find off the shelf with other computers. But you were also getting more robust parts, like better power supplies, better cases that were stronger and had better cooling and stuff like that.

The products were geared towards people that wanted a gaming rig, but either didn't know how to put it together, or didn't want to mess with it. They really didn't offer anything you couldn't put together on your own or have a local shop do for you if you wanted to spend the money and/or time.

I don't even think they did laptops to begin with, my guess is that was a deal they had through dell, then dell ended up taking them over. A true gamer at that time would not have considered a laptop. That is why the gaming rigs were built so strong, so they could be carried around and take the abuse. If a laptop could do it, there would be no reason for a bomb proof 30 lb gaming rig with a handle on top lol.

And yes you were buying into a company name. By getting a product with the alienware name on it you could be reasonably assured you were getting the best tech at that time, quality construction with quality parts and good service and support. Much like the difference between buying an Emachine at walmart vrs getting a computer from a local computer store. Sure the one from walmart will work and perform the same as any other system with the same specs, and cost less. However if you have a problem with it, or have questions before buying good luck getting any reliable help. With the small store you are paying more,  but hopefully the service is much better both before and after your purchase.

Now that dell took over alienware I have no idea if this is the case anymore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.