Sign in to follow this  
Sassy Romano

Linden Labs about to break lots of RLV content...

Well, bugger. I'm assuming the JIRA you linked is one we should watch?

In the meantime, it sounds like the "fix" is to update to the most current viewers? The current, most recent Firestorm update should not have any problems? Guess I should go update...

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Well, bugger. I'm assuming the JIRA you linked is one we should watch?

In the meantime, it sounds like the "fix" is to update to the most current viewers? The current, most recent Firestorm update should not have any problems? Guess I should go update...

Yes Ariel that's the JIRA but NO viewer is fixed yet.  Neither Kitty nor Marine want to update the viewer as the first choice fix.

While everyone acknowledges that a viewer update would solve it, that's EVERYONE that would need to update that uses RLV and they'd first need to know that they need to update.

As a merchant, this breaks all the set up of my main products.  At best, people will seek help but that then hugely changes the support effort.  Those who don't seek help are just as likely to tell friends "product was crap, didn't work", leave a 1 star on MP and a bad review.

This is just crazy.

Thanks Sassy.   This is seriously bad news even for me, and I don't rely on that functionality anywhere near as much as you do.

This is going to break tens of thousands -- hundreds of thousands, quite likely -- of often quite expensive RLV toys.  

And even if Marine and Kitty were to bring out updates tomorrow, we both know it's not help any until Firestorm, at least, adopt the update too.    It's bad enough having to tell Phoenix users to update to Firestorm if they want something new to work (though I don't mind telling them that), but having to explain to them that products they've already bought and have always worked perfectly well in the past won't work properly again unless they update or switch viewers is going to be an absolute nightmare.

Bad reporting. This is already broken, and not deliberately so. It doesn't have as much impact as you claim either, mostly affecting scripted capture devices that force the captive to equip visual enhancements (like **bleep**, digestive juices, etc.).

The items will still be delivered, the captive will just have to manually equip them. A minor rp setback maybe, but not a gamebreaker.

That's not to say I'd not like to see it fixed, but let's not scream bloody hell and murder over a minor bruising.

jwenting wrote:

Bad reporting. This is already broken, and not deliberately so. It doesn't have as much impact as you claim either, mostly affecting scripted capture devices that force the captive to equip visual enhancements (like **bleep**, digestive juices, etc.).

The items will still be delivered, the captive will just have to manually equip them. A minor rp setback maybe, but not a gamebreaker.

That's not to say I'd not like to see it fixed, but let's not scream bloody hell and murder over a minor bruising.

Well lets see...

First thing that capture device might do is limit your inventory access.  Now how will you move that content to the #RLV folder?  Oh ... you can't!

Next, if someone has bought a product but doesn't know that LL have altered the behaviour, their experience of that product is now "DOES NOT WORK!", reviews it negatively on MP, tells friends it's crap.

Hopefully, they'll contact the creator, many don't.  The support burden on that creator now escalates hugely, who has to explain that they need a new viewer.

Wait!  There is NO NEW VIEWER at this time.

To migrate every single RLV user to an updated viewer is a huge task, the impact on merchants is huge, the impact on existing content is massive.

It affects any object that sends inventory via llGiveInventory which is why I said "lots of RLV content", I didn't say "all".  My main products for example ALL use this as part of their set up so this will mean that customers will not have an automatic set up, instant perspective of product = DOES NOT WORK.  All the instructions will be wrong.

To believe that it's a minor issue and bad reporting demonstrates a naive view of the issues that manifest.

jwenting wrote:

It may be a minor bruising for you, but for many others it is more than a "minor RP setback maybe", and I don't want to imagine how much work it's gonna be to adapt all the equipment which relies on the #RLV Folder, not to mention all the notecards and instructions that need to be changed.

Oh, and trust me, it's everything else than a minor bruising when it comes to customer support. As Sassy points out it is nearly impossible to reach all customers who are affected by this, and most customers will just drop their stuff believing it doesn't work at all.

Maybe you have a look at how much Lindens are spent on such devices, this should be enough to make clear that it's everything else than a minor bruising...

This is very bad news for transformation devices, of which I've scripted several -- both my own products and for other people, and I think you badly underestmate, jwenting, the support burden it's going to cause.

Yes, you can accept the folder, then drag it into your #RLV folder manually and touch the device again.   If I've scripted it, it'll detect the folder and work properly this time, but it breaks the RP badly and you have to know to do that in the first place and not start IMing me to ask why it's not working (or leave a bad review in the Marketplace to the effect "this doesn't work").    And it's going to be even more confusing when someone who's already bought one of my products and used it (and thus has the folder in her #RLV folder already) tries to show it to a friend, and it works for the owner and not for her friend.

It's not a major part of my business, but it's going to affect very badly several of my best-selling products, nevertheless.   And I'm really not looking forward to having to explain to, potentially, several thousand people who've paid a couple of thousand L$ each for an item of furniture why it's suddenly stopped working properly.

Follow up:  LL have listened to the > 300 people who slapped the JIRA and will roll back Bluesteel and LeTigre and not redeploy until this is addressed properly.

We were talking about this over in SLU, too.   According to one of the Firestorm devs, it's because the issue has been picked up by an internal LL team whose jira key's default permissions are Linden only, and no one has, as yet, bothered to change the permissions back.   Apparently this happens quite often when issues are allocated to teams, and isn't usually intentional.