Latch Castaignede

Have you taken the step from SL relationship to RL relationship?

update to my previous post, Its been 3 years since we are happily married in RL and have not returned to the game. We still keep the good memories from the game (it is where we met initially after all) and hope most of our friends did find their happiness too. I still think it is a far better way to meet love than any online dating site because it is not the purpose of the game; but if it happens then fine and be happy.

I met My Karu June 2013 in SL. 

We started our SL relationship then, a few weeks passed and we started Skyping, we became the best of friends in RL. (I was dating someone in RL at the time so I friendzoned the sheet out of Karu). After a few months passed I left the person I was with in RL because he was an A$$ hole and a lazy drunk. Karu and I transitioned our SL relationship into RL and were thrilled to do so. 

We were SL Married December 8th, 2013.

Karu and I met in RL Christmas Day 2013 and spent a few days together ;)

Then we met again January 2014 and spent a whole week together. 

I spent time in his home State in the beginning of April 2014 meeting his RL family and one evening after a fancy dinner with some of his relatives he Proposed to me in RL. We were both estatic and shared the news with both sides of the family and of course our Facebook Friends.

Unfortunate Circumstances occured within my RL household and I wound up becoming homeless for a short amont of time, during which Karu and I decided it was time to move in with one another. I took him up on the offer and wer're currently planning for our up coming RL Wedding.

I believe this type of relationship is very rare to come by. I met him in sL at like 3am eastern time . I had just TP-ed to some Massive Furry Mall and was interested in getting a Furry Avatar. This wicked sick looking Furry TP-ed in Directly behind me and I turned and typed in Local "OMG DUDE YOU LOOK SICK!" and we haven't missed a day of talking since. 

What we have is very special, and our relationship is much deeper then the average love relationship. I wish for everyone to find a love like this. 

This is my SL to RL Love Story and thank you for reading and sharing yours. 

~Red

Interesting subject and I have a true life answer. I met a guy on SL and we liked each other from the very start. We began to exchange photos then we started to Skype and things were good he looked good and was just an all around funny and charming guy. Next we began to have video sex (yes I admit) and I really liked it and became closer to him. Well then came the big visit. Two weeks before I was to leave he sent me  to go shopping in RL to get a few things. I didnt ask he just did and again I was very appreciative and felt so close to him. Then Bam! All of a sudden I dont hear from him for a week and I begin to panic no calls no Skype nothing so Im really growing concerned. Then I finally get him on the phone and he sounds very depressed and detached. After talking to him for an hour he tells me that he hasnt bathed in a week, nor has he eaten anything but oatmeal and that bugs have overtaken his home and he was afraid to meet me. I cannot tell you the shock I went through or the disappointment. He also revealed that he was a schizophrenic and that he needed to see his psychologist before I came. Needless to say I cancelled the trip and cut him off completely. I am new to SL and he and I met from the start and just bonded. I lost touch with reality and felt that I had met my soul mate ( WRONG). So I feel like a SL romance should stay on SL and not enter RL because people are seldom what they portray themselves to be or if they are being themselves they are neglecting to tell everything. I could tell another scenario about my RL sis and her so called boyfriend on SL but I will save myself the typing. I will just say interracial relationships on SL may be hot and heavy but in RL the guy just wants the black girl experience. So ladies please keep it on S and save yourself the pain and disappointment.

I entered SL with the view of using it for pure fantasy, roleplay, not wanting to cross to real life at all. Never wanted to voice nor skype, often turned it down for it was a distraction of using SL as an escapism.

However the intense scenes I rp’ed, became story based, and spending a large amount of time with other’s rp’ing, we’ll often IM establish a trust, and start to exchange RL information with most I was involved in.

I’ve always been open and honest who I am, no point making stuff up, if you have zero plans of meeting anyone in RL.

It probably helps that in RL, I’m single, own my own place, hold down a solid job, fit and have had healthy RL relationships before I came onto SL for a selfish, indulging, luxurious isolation stage of my life, which I really enjoyed.

I live in Australia….had one RP partner come visit me from the States for 3 months, though we declared we weren’t really suited for each other, it ended on good terms

However my current sub from Europe had just left after being with me for 6mths, and we’re making steps for her to live with me.

She and I never wanted to use SL or for RL relationships, both started out as ‘this is SL only’….and now it’s RL only.

And this is very long distant (across continents), and hanging out in some of the nastiest, darkest rp sims in SL, full time.  Totally unexpected....and to think a few years ago when I joined, I came so close to giving up during the steep learning curve of SL

Update  we are still together and we still use SL, allmost everyday. SL has tested our realtionship very early with trust and communication etc ,, but now we have that in place we have a happy SL & RL Relationship/partnership.- I took the leap and moved the 500 miles to live with him in anoher country, after he made a couple of vists too the UK too see me...  and tho in the begaining its been hard, being away for my close grp of family and friends - its been a life changing experince, and i would recomend it...:)  

Inorder for us both to use SL and enjoy it . we had to make sure rules that we were happy with and find our own hobbys and intrests, so we werent always stepping on each others shoes etc .. but we do go to rez days, weddings, partysec, shopping and meet with friends together, we also have a ouse together in SL that we enjoy decorating etc. 

update,

Funny I still keep that account opened even if I have not logged in game since 2009

We are happily married in RL since 2011 and still have no plan to return to the game. We sometimes wonder what happened to some of our friends in game.

We everyone happiness

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Clover and I went the other direction.

I wasn't a very good SL stalker with our computers sitting side by side. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just wow  i am reading this and I wont judge just wanted say that Love is a feeling and can be felt through any form of meeting real life or second life but its always risky mixing the 2

1 hour ago, Lanson Malso said:

Love is a feeling

Love is a consensus choice for the greater good.

Love is just lie meant to make you blue.

Love a reaction to chemical release in the brain.

Love endures all things.

Love stinks.  (Rest well, Mr Giles)

Love knows no boundaries. 

Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

• Like 2

No, never, it cannot and never will happen, I am already married in RL, to a great guy, even if he is a bit old fashioned and has no use for computer games. For me this is primarily a creative outlet. A couple months ago I met a guy here with a similar story, and we have connected and have become an SL couple, we are as determined to protect each other's RL relationships with the same passion we protect our own. After so long of resisting the temptations that come with SL, it is so refreshing to know someone finally has your back. While our story might seem to be the total opposite of the meet here and get married in RL couples, in a way it is not, because our story as an SL couple, is very much a part of us each being half of an RL couple, just not the same couple.

• Like 2

I have carried an SL relationship back to RL.

I've always had a conscience (no, really!), and I like self deprecating humor (no, really!), but I'd never bundled those aspects of myself into an alter-ego. Years ago, I created an account named Snugs with the expectation that an old chat friend of mine would follow me into SL to inhabit it.

He never did. So, I did, and I partnered it.

Over the years, I've grown fond of Snugs' form of self reflection, which is also a marvelous defense mechanism. It's not really the case that this relationship has gone from SL to RL, but more that SL has helped me refine the RL relationship.

So no, I haven't carried an SL relationship back to RL.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

There are many kinds of relationships.  Marriage is not the only one you can take into RL.  I have 6 people I met in SL who have access to my real life through Skype, emails, Facebook, phone calls.  I have not physically met any of them in RL due to distance, but the friendships are all part of my real life.  That being said I would meet with any of them if the opportunity presented itself.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2012 at 8:38 PM, Latch Castaignede said:

Meeting people in Second Life is sometimes a lot easier than meeting people in real life. The mask we all wear in world often gives us the confidence to more social. But have you taken that extra step and moved your relationship from Second Life into Real Life?

I met Judie McDonnell in Second Life and 6 months later, we met in Real Life.

Im 28 and she is 20. We've been together for 2 years and recently moved in together (wedding bells?).

How often does this happen? We hear of marriges breaking up because of a sneaky SL affair, but is it more common for the opposite to happen?

What are your thoughts?

Well good luck to you.

Isn't at all likely to happen to me though, because I've struggled with taking and maintaining a relationship that began on these forums just as far as in world! :/

(editing again - just realised how old the original post was - hope you're both still together and very happy.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
what reasons do you neeeeed.... tell me why ... I don't like Mondays ...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

There are many kinds of relationships.  Marriage is not the only one you can take into RL.  I have 6 people I met in SL who have access to my real life through Skype, emails, Facebook, phone calls.  I have not physically met any of them in RL due to distance, but the friendships are all part of my real life.  That being said I would meet with any of them if the opportunity presented itself.

This - I have made some friendships that have carried into RL and I love that.  I have met up with a couple of people and hope to meet others one day.

• Like 3

I came on sl back in october of 2011. I had no intentions when I came on sl, that I would meet someone half way across the world. He was from amsterdam, netherlands and me united states, 6000 miles apart. But we spended time with each other on sl and also on webcam. But our road was not always easy. There were tears to shed not because we were unhappy, because we had such a good connection with each other and were unable to meet in reallife at the time. Then the day came, of February 2016 long wait huh? Well im the type that likes to take my time before I go meet in rl make sure, so it took plenty of time on webcam. I decided to take the plane to amsterdam to meet my sl love in rl.  I saw him at the airport when i got there for the first time. He then came to visit me three times in the united states. I dont want to go to much in detail and everything went fine. Now we are waiting for his immigration interview in 4 weeks, so he can come and live with me in the usa. We will be married around November. Ours is of a success story from secondlife.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2012 at 3:38 PM, Latch Castaignede said:

Im 28 and she is 20. We've been together for 2 years and recently moved in together (wedding bells?).

How often does this happen? We hear of marriges breaking up because of a sneaky SL affair, but is it more common for the opposite to happen?

IMO it does happen but those are the exception to the rule. 

• Like 1