Suggestions for Forum Changes

Chelsea Malibu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the forum launched, there has been very little change which leads me to believe that one day, someone sat down and threw these fields together with some open source software then moved on. 

As new categories are added the overall usability for most new to the forums suffers and seems to be getting worse.

I was going to write a Jira but wanted some input first.

Here is what I was thinking for suggestions:

• Employment posting should be a board and not a forum with two categories.  Jobs and Looking for Jobs. Make it easy and someone looking for work can just go and see what is up there.  Someone looking to post can just post and it remains there for prospective employers to see.  Perhaps even a short resume form?

• Land listings are the same.  They don't need to be a Forum and can just be posted to a board.  No one needs to comment so why have that and moreover, why fill up the Recent Post on land?

• Stickies...why don't we have stickies for common questions?  I'm a ghost, I can't TP, how come I can't see mesh and many others that are nearly daily questions.  We have some great answers to these from Rollig, Val, Irene and many others have great responses that should be sticky.

These are just some ideas but I would love to see what others have to add.

I'd be happy if the Lindens would actually use what they threw together as a useful communication tool, instead of ignoring their own Blogs, seldom reading or responding to forum posts, and publishing all their important communications in other media, like Twitter and Facebook and profile feeds.

I think you are absolutely right. They threw this together and then turned their backs on it, for the most part. It is a half-completed and not maintained project, all too common in what we see from Linden Lab.

Ceera Murakami wrote:

I'd be happy if the Lindens would actually use what they threw together as a useful communication tool, instead of ignoring their own Blogs, seldom reading or responding to forum posts, and publishing all their important communications in other media, like Twitter and Facebook and profile feeds.

I think you are absolutely right. They threw this together and then turned their backs on it, for the most part. It is a half-completed and not maintained project, all too common in what we see from Linden Lab.

applause 2.gif

And speaking of forum changes, I'd settle for any Linden to say something from time to time in this Feedbacj forum.

The categories as they exist today were hashed out with input from Forumites in the now defunct CTUG.

I don't browse employment and land sales but it bugs me that postings in those two categories tend to dominate the recently created threads list when I log in.

A little while back I tried starting a thread to collate the most frequently asked questions in the Forum along with links to answers from official resources in Void's great thread, http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Official-Resources/td-p/1212519. Sadly I got no response to that.

It has been suggested innumerable times that Voids thread get stickied.  We all have educated and probably accurate guesses why it has not been.

The issue of FAQ's have been brought up by others also but while we do have some semblance of moderation in the Forum, sadly it appears to have no administration.  We have been left with the feeling that whoever is in charge of this will automatically oppose and refuse to implement any positive suggestions we may make. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.