Parts of me are invisible.

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every time I log in lately, parts of me are invisible - lower legs, for instance. Both my av and the clothing on top are invisible. Some parts are only invisible from a particular direction. I have to change outfits to get right.

I got a new computer a week ago. I can't say that that's when it started, but I also can't say that it didn't start then.

Anyone got any ideas what's causing it and/or what I can do to cure it?

Outfits are acting strange lately for me too
They are missing some textures or have textures in wrong places
Often I just get the white cloud

What helps me is to test 'my avatar', from the menu:
Develop/Avatar/Character Tests/Test Female

After that I can load the outfit and appearance I want without trouble.

As I said it has become a problem lately but wasn't also like that and I expect it to be fixed in one of the upcoming server updates

Are you wearing anything mesh?  To force mesh to appear when rebake does not work, use the debug setting meshmaxconcurrentrequests and advance the number in the box one at a time until you see your clothing.  Once it appears, click the Reset to default button so as to avoid lag.

No, nothing mesh. I've been wearing the same outfits (nothing new) for years. I rarely change outfits at all. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

Going into Appearance actually fixes it - well, almost. It fixes the transparent parts but it always leaves my pants (jeans) skin tight below the knees, so I still have to change outfits each time.

The skin tight jeans you may be able to fix by changing the pant length to something less than 100%. That is something that often works for me when I wear pants without prim cuffs.

As far as parts of you being transparent, I don't really have any idea about, unless you are wearing an alpha layer which hides the mesh. If that was the case, you would have to remove the layer, and it does not sound like this is what you do to fix the issue.

A longshot, though. REALLY long... :) I do remember someone a long time ago, who had parts of his avatar becoming transparent. If I remember correctly, he had two monitors connected to his PC, and SL running on the secondary screen. Moving the viewer to the main screen fixed the transparency issue. *OR* it simply had something to do with the viewer having to be resized... To be honest, I don't really remember what helped...

- Luc -

If you have been wearing the same outfit for years, they must be awfully worn and dirty by now. Maybe it is time for a new wardrobe?  Just kidding....couldn't resist.

Are you wearing anything with invisible prims?  Like shoes or boots or hair?  I have been having some issues with those recently.  It generally happens if I swap between Phoenix and Firestorm (I try to force myself weekly to use a V2/3 type viewer, which I still hate) and I have to clear cache and restart each time, but doesn't always work.  Also, if I change clothes in one viewer when I sign in to the other, I still have clothes on from a prior time...generally just the prim attachments. 

I seroiusly doubt it is your computer.  It is probably something quirky with the Viewers.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Every time I log in lately, parts of me are invisible - lower legs, for instance. Both my av and the clothing on top are invisible. Some parts are only invisible from a particular direction. I have to change outfits to get right.

I got a new computer a week ago. I can't say that that's when it started, but I also can't say that it didn't start then.

Anyone got any ideas what's causing it and/or what I can do to cure it?

Yeah, I know what's causing it. You keep slagging off LL so they're getting their revenge on your avatar ! :matte-motes-evil:

Seriously though, I saw a Linden person who had the same symptoms, and someone threw a bald base at him and that seemed to fix his problem.

I think the acquisition of a new computer is just coincidental; it's probably something caused by a new gremlin that's been chucked in during the deploys.

What happens when you do a character test and rebuild your avatar?

There are several issues like this in the JIRA now related to alpha textures and invis-prims.  Unfortunately I have no idea which might be your issue since I don't know what you're wearing. 

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date as well.  Don't do this from windows update, do it from the manufacturer of your graphics card to get the most up to date driver.

i came onto the forums to ask a clothes related question to which it sounds like this might be the answer, but I'll just check- as of yesterday the seams on my favourite jeans are much more apparent and, uh, the buttock area is all faded. My favourite jeans! It's too hard for me to buy jeans to let this go. :) 

I did try and edit an outfit yesterday (with no luck; it was a beautiful frock but I think just too complex for a newb like me to muck about with). I was wondering whether I accidentally did something when I was editing the frock that made my other clothes look wacked out, or am I just experiencing the same issues as the OP? I'm not a RTFM sort of person, so was hoping I haven't done something really silly, like editing my skin/ shape or something. Thanks in advance for helping a gal to look impeccably stylish again rather than, to be frank, slightly faded and ill- put together. 

Hi Diddakoi. The problem you have does not seem to be the same as the OPs. To me, it sounds as if the textures on your clothing are not loading properly, and stays blurred because of it. There are several reasons why this is, and it is most likely not because of something you did - editing another outfit or otherwise.

You could try to clear the viewers cache to see if this helps. Go to me->Preferences->Setup and press the clear cache button in the panel. (I think it is in the Setup panel...)

Also, enable the Advanced/Develop menu in me->Preferences->Advanced, find the menu item which says http textures in one of them and uncheck it (or check it if it is already unchecked).

Hopefully, this helps, but if not, somebody will come up with an advice that helps.

Oh, btw, the above is for the LL viewer.

- Luc -

Luc, thankyou! Things certainly did look crisper after clearing my cache- I'd actually forgotten that the jeans in question have quite a prominent double seam stitch which had just blurred horribly, but is now sharp as a pin again. I also defaulted and rebuilt my avi because she was looking a bit wonky on the left side and she's now looking all symetrical and lovely again. 

Thank you all for your responses. I'll reply to various posts and questions in this one...

I'm not wearing any invisiprims at all.

I'm wearing the same hair base that I've worn for years without any issues.

I don't use two monitors, but I have been using two instances of the SL viewer (Phoenix) - for two avatars. That's not the problem though, because it happens when I log the first one in, so there's only one instance of the viewer at that point.

I probably don't have the latest drivers for my graphics card because it's unusual for DVDs to be bang up to date. I'll get the latest.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I don't use two monitors, but I have been using two instances of the SL viewer (Phoenix) - for two avatars.
That's not the problem though
, because it happens when I log the first one in, so there's only one instance of the viewer at that point.

And yet, if both viewers use the same cache, the cache may be corrupted

Try to clear the cache

That's an interesting idea. I cleared the cache, logged in, and my av is perfect. It could be coincidence but we'll see.

I'd forgotten to mention at the start that I was also having trouble with other stuff not rezzing and being invisible, such as stuff in my store, parts of the store itself, etc., but that wasn't consistent like the invis parts of the avs are - or were before clearing the cache.

Clearing cache appeared to fix it once but it didn't. I now have the current graphics card driver installed too. I'm thinking that it's serverside. As well as parts of my avs, large parts of the store simply don't rez sometimes, including parts of the floors. Not only that but, when I walk into an 'invisible' area, my av disappears too. It keeps walking, if I'm walking, because things that do rez slide by, but the av is in the 'invisible zone' and is invisible. Things that are invisible are only invisible to the av and not to other avs. It's weird.

My feeling is that if it is serverside, a lot of people will be having the same problems, so I kind of think it isn't. I could be wrong, though. I'm starting to wonder if this could somehow be a network/connection thing... Have you tried to reset your router and modem? - Luc -

Hi Phil,

Nobody has asked what your computer specifications are so could you please post especially graphics card so we know if we're dealing with a Nvidia or ATII/AMD issue, assuming it is a graphics issue.

What you could try doing is disabling VBO in Graphics > Hardware. That has been causing a few issues in the latest viewers.

Another thing to try is set your antialiasing to Use Application settings in AMD's Catalyst Control Centre or the Nvidia counterpart if not already set at that.

Installing the current driver for my graphcs card didn't work, so...

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (3093.01 MHz)

Memory: 8176 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 Windows

Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.9573 OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

I have a setup very much like yours.
I also had a problem that was insolvable
No matter what I tried nothing helped.
Finally I was convinced it was a hardware error and I contacted the PC maker.
First they asked me to install the newest video driver, it didn't help.
Then they told me to make a clean windows install, go back to factory settings:smileysurprised:
That helped! Win7 is not as robust as one could wish for:(

• 4 weeks later...

I am having identical problem. None of these work: Rebaking; Clearing cache; Rebooting PC & modem; Choosing default avatar.

Oddly, if I choose editing appearance, such as skin, etc all the menu textures such as for pigments (light & dark) even with a default avatar, are psychedellic squares. I am using the latest, official SL viewer on Windows Vista on a Dell M6300 workstation laptop. 

All I can see of myself as the default avatar Male Explorer are prim objects: hat, collar, belt, whip and boots. Other than that I can see my eyeballs, but they are pixelated. Doing a texture rebake made all other parts invisible. Prior to the rebake the now-invisible parts were psychedelic half-transparent. Sometimes those parts of me look inside out or banded. Sometimes they look like a Star Trek transported person stuck half-way.

I've been in SL since 2008 but this issue is getting to be frustrating enough that I almost want to just quit. If not for my SL GF, I would have already.

Others in this thread know more about these things than I, but have you tried upgrading the graphics card drivers on your pc? Also, you could try to disable Vertex buffer objects (VBO) in me->preferences->Graphics->Hardware.

If that does not work, perhaps you can tell us which graphics card is in your pc?

- Luc -

Hi Phil,

I'm beginning to think your issue is this one:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-12906?

Although an oldish Jira, there are a number of new instances in late 2011 and into 2012.

Wading through the Jiras is a nightmare so I'm not sure if this is fixed or not in the latest development builds. You could try one and see. The latest is available here (near bottom) http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers#Second_Life_Development_Viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.