Experience Tools

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, I added another edit.  I am not talking about permissions at all.  An end-user can obviously not use the tools nefariously just by participating in a game/event that utilizes these tools.  The issue concerns how the tools are used by either the creator or the owner if indeed transfer permissions are allowed.  An end-user playing the game owns nothing and cannot use them in manner other than what they were scripted to do.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On re-reading I think I understand now where you are coming from, you are talking about a separate permissions system that would be triggered when someone purchased a product from a creator that utilizes such tools, and would identify them as responsible for the use thereafter.  That could work, though it sounds like it would be a rather complicated set of features to include.  

Yes, that is correct, I believe there will be a separate "Experience" permissions system. But I envisioned it kicking in when you use an enhanced product, not when you purchase it.

In other words, let's say I create something that uses the enhanced tools, so it qualifies as an Experience. You buy it, then rez it (or wear it), and at that point the new permissions trigger kicks in and you get a dialog menu asking if it is OK to take control of your avatar. If you answer yes, away you go. If you answer no, nothing happens.

To attempt to grief someone using any of the new enhanced tools would trigger the same permissions dialog menu on the person being griefed. Then you can just mute them.

using the realms as a guide

temp-attach objects become yours while they remained attached. (edit: they are given to you by the object containing the attachment and the "experience script) there is just no inventory listing for them. if you detach them then they are deleted. if you leave the sim(s) where the "experience permission" was granted to attach then they are detached and deleted. the realms game hud demonstrates this

+

there are no dialogs asking for experience permissions as we traditionally expect to get. it appears that if you are in an "experience" then permission is granted by interacting with objects that are scripted with these new capabilities. collide or click definitely trigger these permissions. the realms and the video demonstrate both of these

whats unknown is: can you be detected with a sensor and that detection is construed as permission granted? not sure about this yet. will have to wait and see  

Judging by the video that was posted, the experience permissions will need to be granted explicitly, and the Linden Realms thing was an exception because it was Linden-owned.  I don't know if there will be other ways to tacitly grant these special experience permissions, as there are with regular permissions -- as with certain permissions that are automatically granted when you sit on a scripted object, or attach one.

Herkimer Highmist wrote:

It also isn't clear how one would
revoke
xp permissions.

That is what has me concerned at the moment.  How easy will it be to revoke the new permissions?  How will new residents deal with being tricked into giving permission to the wrong person or object?  Will it be as simple as just leaving an "Experience" enabled sim or parcel?  What will the limits be for controlling another person's experience?  

The blog said   "More importantly, these permissions span multiple regions, scripts, and objects. This will allow you to create cross-Second Life experiences with one simple request."

So it takes only one request to do multiple things?

On the other hand, the cool thing is new residents can begin their first SL experience inside an "Experience". The current LL areas where new residents land can be replaced with Experiences. Once the proper "First Experience" is created and fine-tuned the retention rate should be a lot higher.

And, the first SL Experience can also teach them to not accept Experience "requests" from residents they don't know. :)

I personally think that the new permission system combined with providing the tools only to the verified members of the "_Insert Whatever The Program Is Called Here_", that any new griefng caused by the new tools will be quite minimal.

i dont think they can be revoked explicitly while the avatar is in the experience. stuff auto-happens based on what you do

eg. if you detach the game hud on the realms then you are ejected from the arena. for an arena game can make it all or nothing. play the game the way its designed to be played, or leave.the  the rock monsta  teleport is good example. the player should never be able to revoke being killed by a monsta

+

whats unclear is how two or more completely different experiences made or owned by the same person can be distinguished. i.e. a game arena experience on one set of sims. and a shopping experience on another. would have to be some kind of parcel setting somehow. thats the traditional way but...

+

am going to speculate now and say if was me:

i would make a new experience group type. the group is owned by a registered account. the "experience" (scripts, objects, parcels, etc) are owned by the group. only those things owned by the group will work within the group-owned experience

you join the group as a member and permission is auto-granted by the act of joining. access to the parcels can be group controlled, or access to the parcels can be allowed to anyone. if not a group member then can't particpate in the experience, can only be an observer

this way would break away from the traditional parcel/sim anchor. experience group owners can add or remove parcels/sims to the experience as they like without having to do tricky stuff

a new group type also opens up the possibility of programmable group functions. like programmable group titles and programmatically moving people into different group categories, leveling up or down, etc

edit: linden experiences would always work anywhere, as we would all be members of the linden group by default. from which we could never leave

+

add: leveling up doesnt have to be a game. pay the box and level up to tenant. buy xxx$ worth of stuff in a shop and level up to platinum customer, etc

• 2 months later...

I am not particulary worried about how LL will deploy this set of functions or how to revoke it the permission given.

But more on what exactly this will include.

Teleportagent is one thing. Thats great and awesome in itself.

But lets talk turkey.

Lets say we want Players not to access their minimap (so in combat games they need to LOOK and not stare on their minimap to shoot an opponent)

or

Want them to display a certain windlight setting (like darkest night) without them able to change that back.

Lets assume some game developer want to hinder them use their camera, so they cannot cheat-look through walls.

Small examples that make a difference!

All these functions are basically allready in RLVa. The problem with RLVa is that it needs to get installed into the standard viewer and that its "tainted" as it got developed and mostly used by the BDSM community.

• 3 weeks later...

After being teleported 5 times by these blasted Experience tools. I want to see them removed. It's clear that they are flawed, and not even properly live yet but being abused already. All this chatter about how to use them, we should all be discussiing how to prevent being hit by them. 

I'm a manager on two sims, we've had multiple users, on both sims, being teleported away without permissions being granted by these wonderful new toys. I'm afraid to tell you all, the trust in this system is waning fast, and I am doing my best to notify to everyone what the root cause is. These 'tools'.. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.