Tell Me How Mesh is Impacting Your Choices Fashion Wise? Love it or Hate?

Gidge Uriza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm curious to know as mesh continues to improve and develop, how is it impacting your style? I know I was completely unwilling to make shape changes at first, then made a leg tweak just for boots, later a chest tweak just for dresses. I'm ok with adjustments that are minor and preserve my overall avatar look. What are your experiences while trying and wearing mesh?

I've tried several outfits but,

1. I look fat. It adds pounds to my avatar.

2. My boobs pop out when I move.

3. The mesh doesn't move with my physics.

4. I am a flexy skirt lover.

So... No decison yet, but I'm going to keep trying it and maybe someday making it, but right now I'm just not there yet. I might try the shoes.

Not at all because I don't use it.

I think it will eventually make things better, but that right now, we're all in a growth spurt, and growing pains hurt.  So right now I gather it isn't going that smoothly.

I don't mind it as long as the mesh wearers wear (painted) underwear. Not everyone can see mesh. To me it looks like a big paper towel roll around their head. That means, everything else on them is naked.

I'm almost -ONLY- buying mesh now.

For one thing I've been able to find a plethoria of items that either fit me or are close.

For another, most of it is not tramp-wear, so I can feel more comfortable wearing it. The 'buttcrack or jeans -below- crotch level' look might work for some, but not for me. I like some racey outfits some of the time, but don't like looking like a $2 whore all of the time... o.O

Most of the mesh clothes are either elegant, or normal wear. A nice comfortable spot to be. I would like to see some African dresses, but I know that's a niche so it'll likely not happen unless or until I myself learn how to do it. :)

The mesh clothes -AND- mesh furniture just look so vastly better than the non-mesh stuff most of the time...

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'm almost -ONLY- buying mesh now.

For one thing I've been able to find a plethoria of items that either fit me or are close.

For another, most of it is not tramp-wear, so I can feel more comfortable wearing it. The 'buttcrack or jeans -below- crotch level' look might work for some, but not for me. I like some racey outfits some of the time, but don't like looking like a $2 whore all of the time...
o.O

Most of the mesh clothes are either elegant, or normal wear. A nice comfortable spot to be. I would like to see some African dresses, but I know that's a niche so it'll likely not happen unless or until I myself learn how to do it.
:)

The mesh clothes -AND- mesh furniture just look so vastly better than the non-mesh stuff most of the time...

I'd love some recommendations. There are many designers so perhaps I've not found the right one yet. I think you're  right. It's going to improve! I don't make **bleep**-wear. My designers are conservative, other than some lingerie. I'm very conservative dresser, too.

I have stopped to buy a certain type dress/skirt. The one with a prim "crotch flap". I don't buy these anymore at all, not even if it's from designers that I love. 

I think all you who dislike mesh will like one of the skirts where the prim is replaced with a rigged mesh part that moves with you. You still use your shape and clothing layer for the sides of the skirt. Mon  Tissu and Ingenue has this, and more that I don't remember. So your shape is fully visible, you don't have to remove it with an alpha layer.

Jackets is another one where mesh is good. If the jackets with sculpted prims has a prim for the upper arm and a prim for the lower arm, I had to edit and reposition the prims if I tried a pose where the arms is moving. I like a bit bulkiness in jacket arms, I think it looked too smooth with the painted on clothing only.

I am not a great fan of the balloon dresses and the "maternity looking" mesh dresses I see so many of now.  I have been pregnant twice in RL, I don't need to look like I am in third trimester in SL too! :D But this is more a question of buying clothes with a slimmer line and find brands that has clothes that follow the body. 

I don't have a solution for the physics. But I have never turned it on, since I was used to clothes with sculpted prim collars and add-ons before physics. I could not use physics with sculpted prims either. Maybe using a physics layer with much smaller breast bounce?

It hasn't at all yet.  Until the deformer is here so that the clothes fit my avatar without having to wear alpha layers I'm not interested.  I've tried a lot of mesh but have found none that fits me. Alpha layers just hide my shape so the clothes themselves become my shape and make my avatar look totally different. Mesh and physics don't play nice together yet either.

Even without a fit issue, I haven't seen any clothes that really excite me anyway as most of what I see is too conservative, or too fashionista ridiculous, or too much like what is in every store in RL and boring to me.  That's fine for business or some other occasions but I want something that fits my style and SL lifestyle better, which doesn't mean slutty or fantasy.

I do however think mesh is here to stay and that hopefully we'll see more variation and original designs. 

I have just the mesh dress for you Faye! Try a demo from Beetlebones: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/BB-Shushu-Frill-Mesh-Party-Dress-DEMO/2873938

Their mesh studded biker jacket is good too, but i found their loose tops and other dresses a bit too bulky for me.  But I think that no matter what mesh tops you try, you should turn down breast physics. Especially if you want a slimmer fit.

Thank you for referrals. I think turning off physics is good sense. I did not think of it!

I think the dresses with the crotch flap are ugly and In never wore them... I did make ONE. I gave it away for free. It never looked right!! So I never made another one!

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'd love some recommendations.

I've bought almost the entire product line at JANE:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Zyrra/95/148/23

coldLogic next door is good, but JANE is better to my tastes.

Three more mesh shops next to it as well - and I've bought from 2 of those.

Malreya has a lot of good stuff:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maitreya%20Isle/147/233/24

Though it hasn't pulled me in so much.

I bought the two items Decoy had at MMM, but they've not put them in their store yet:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Festivale/59/135/25

Apricot Paws has some pants that are made for digitrade avatars (like furries and fauns):

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bay%20City%20-%20Maddequet/46/42/25

J.H. Couture got a few purchases out of me:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nebo/104/121/23

Got a shirt and blouse from SFW:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dokkaebi/201/164/906

- men and women's stuff in the skybox, mens on floor 1, women on floor 2. In case the landing point is set to the shop at ground (my landmark was, but I ended up next to a teleporter.)

I've not seen -ANY- mesh items for maternity looks or even chubby looks.

Look at my flickr feed, on the right side of my blog, or my SL feed, to see images of the stuff worn by me.

I have tried a few demos and none really fit.  Some others made good points.  I don't want to wear alphas other than for shoes...I don't mind changing my feet, but the rest of me is just fine.  My AV is me...I am not changing it to fit someone's else's idea of what clothes are.  I don't do that in RL and won't in SL.   I want to wait and see what happens with the deformer before I decide to spend my hard earned money on mesh.  I am a flexi shirt lover. 

I think once mesh has been out for awhile, we wlil start to see a combination of flexi, layers, sculpts and mesh mixed together to make the most realistic look possible.  As their skills improve, I think we will see some very interesting looks in the future.  I hope designers don't solely depend on mesh for clothing.  Were some very skilled designers using layered effects and hope they don't toss that skill out for what has been touted as the latest and greatest thing since sliced bread.

Much to my surprise..Im really in to mesh. That happened gradually though..I use the dolphin viewer to enable me to wear layers of mesh which is pretty fabulous (dolphin I find, for me, also is less laggy,less crashy)

coldLogic & Jane are my favourite mesh brand..closely followed by CandyMetal & arisaris...their clothes just fit me perfectly with no shape tweaking..they come ina great range of sizes also.

Elikitira mesh hair is fantastic..Im buying quite  alot of mesh hair and always on the look out for more ! (I also find I dont need to wear the alpha layer with this brand)

I have some vintage mesh pumps from candymetal that I just cant seem to take off...inexpensive too. Havent tried many more mesh shoes or boots..HOC had a lovely pair of mesh sneakers out as a gift, and they totally rocked my boat.(I bought the full pack also)

Most days Iam clothed from head to toe in mesh.

I personally am NOT using a mesh capable viewer at this time.  Will that change? I'm not sure.  I have tried Firestorm and it doesn't agree with my laptop.  I don't know if future versions/upgrades will work any better.  I am open to suggestions from others that lag horribly with Firestorm, but have found a different Mesh capable viewer that works for them.

I have been effected by Mesh though. The other night I went out shopping for new hair (one can never have enough hair to choose from).  And at 3 different shops I found hairdos that I absolutely loved and wanted to demo and more than likely purchase... but they were all mesh.   So that left me out of purchasing them.  I was very disappointed. 

I would like to offer this suggestion to any designer... first let me say I have no knowledge on creating clothing, hair, and anything else in SL, so this suggestion may be considered way too much work, but I will just put it out there...

Please please please make versions available in both mesh and the normal way... had those hairdos I fell in love with been available in both forms, I would have purchased 3 that night instead of tp'ing home disappointed.

Just a thought :)

Wiki

Wicked Galaxy wrote:

Please please please make versions available in both mesh and the normal way... had those hairdos I fell in love with been available in both forms, I would have purchased 3 that night instead of tp'ing home disappointed.

That is basically like asking people to make all of their artwork both as water color paintings and clay pots.

- Completely different skill sets, builts from completely different tools and components, with completely different results. They just both happen to be art.

Its simply not possible to meet that request.

As a designer I am absolutely in LOVE with mesh. The old clothing looks ridiculoius to me now quite often. Mesh has sparked my creativity again. I love doing things which never could have been achieved without mesh like a draped back on a dress or a mini skir that looks like a mini skirt should or jackets that done cut my body in half

I love mesh clothing, but alas, I'm too curvy to wear it.  I would cheerfully make small changes to my shape to accomodate clothing, but except for boots I have found nothing that would require only small adjustments.  While the standard sizing is probably a great boon to someone who is already close to that size, I'm no where near any of those sizes.  And so, I wait...not too patiently I might add... for the deformer so I can play too. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't yet bought anything mesh. The Aitui mesh jacket looked appealing, but I couldn't fit into it, and otherwise, mesh clothing seems like it requires breasts, is blaze, or doesn't actually look very good. I recognize that mesh is a real advance, and should allow for better 3D-look clothes than primwork can. However, like primwork, it's not going to fit everyone, and it can also make small avatars look bloated. Unlike primwork, it's not even scripted resize and there's no way to just wear the bare clothing layers as one can with some 3D-look non-mesh garments.

Ultimately, as a femboi, I actually don't see mesh in my future. Women's clothes tend to have breast allowances, while men's clothing is going to be sized for avatars far, far bigger than I am (5 '5).

up until a week or so ago, i hadn't bought anything with mesh cause i hear that lots of people can't see it yet. BUT, lol, then i saw super cute pics that people had posted somewhere of petite avis. i went from mesh avoider to adopter in bout 20 minutes after seeing them, went and bought one of the avis.forgive the hair, lol, i am sentimentally attached to it (was freebie) and is not part of the mesh stuff. oohh, and i forgot i had the glow on. was playing with the settings on her, you can change her skin to glow, to look more shiny like metal, and change the skin color too. this is the second outfit i bought for her (not wearing the shoes, i like barefoot lots). the first one was pretty rainbow colored t-shirt and jeans, very pretty and detailed.

so far, i like the lil petite so much, haven't worried that some people can't see me ... all they see is buch of wierd shapes.

Snapshot_002.JPG

Snapshot_005.jpg

Snapshot_007.jpg

Edit: here are couple with no glow. couple things i really liked about the mesh avi was that the hands and feet are nice.

Snapshot_006.jpg

Snapshot_013.jpg

Snapshot_014.jpg

Snapshot_012.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.