Would be nice to have Simplygon

Eata Kitty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Simplygon is part of the Unreal engine toolkit and produces accurate LODs automatically. How practical to add it is hard to say as I think you need to do some prep work on your models but anything that improves the auto LODs could save a lot of time and help out mesh amateurs.

http://www.simplygon.com/product_info_introduction.asp?lang=sv

Simplygon uses proprietary mesh reduction, which keeps all the geometrical LOD attributes, and also guarantees the visual quality of LOD switching by respecting all critical features. In addition to geometry reduction, material LODs can be automatically created through re-calclation of new UVs and baking of new maps. 

They also have an interesting sounding optimiser. Something for sim wide builds but I don't know how it could be implemented.

A unique revolutionary technology, Proxy LODs are made by generating a proxy mesh (re-meshing) and a new set of textures (proxy maps), that resemble a copy of the base model. In large scenes ProxyLODs can replace large groups of static objects, containing many materials and meshes, thereby significantly reducing the number of draw calls and triangle counts. This technology can also be used for creating low-poly models from game as well as non-game data types such as 3D scan and 3D CAD data.

I agree as would PhysX and many other technologies but right now, I think most of us share the same concerns of fixing what we currently have as a priority.  Search sucks, always has for both in world search and inventory searches.  Teleports are still and always have been iffy. Sim stability is another ongoing issue and the limitations of 40 users to a region is very 2003.

True, many great products out there but it sort of like strapping a jet engine on a skateboard.  I think most would agree that they need to fix what we have first.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.