LF Land :)

lilithiane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

My Name is Lilithian, and i am Wonderring if there is any Free Land to rent in Sl.

I look for Land but cant pay it becouse i do not have much in Rl.

if anyone have infos or so pls im me ingame Lilithian Resident

Thx for your help :)

Renting, by defintion, is not free.

There is no "free land" in SL. Essentially "land" = server space. What you pay for when you rent land is the use of that server space. You don't get server space for free. You're either getting it directly from LL, or you're getting it from other users who are, in turn, getting it from LL. Neither source will give you land for free.

You can "squat" in SL, but be prepared to be removed from any land you're found squatting in, and probably banned besides. If you're squatting, you're taking up someone else's server space, and they'll kick you out without a second thought along with all of your things.

You do not need land to enjoy SL. There are tons and tons of places to go for almost anything you can imagine. The only thing you can't do on other people's land is rez a permanent home. Which, since SL is virtual, you don't need. If you can't afford it, just don't get it.

There are a few places with small huts or apartments that, out of the generosity of a landowner, are free for new people to use. However the competition for them is very steep and generally you are only allowed to use them for a very limited time then must move on to give other new people a chance.  You have to find them yourself in search or through word of mouth, as they are always coming and going, You'll need to go and essentially be there when one person leaves to 'grab' it.  Sometimes there may be several people waiting for the same place.  The chances of getting a place like this are slim.

I would not recommend squatting.  It is viewed by most people as theft of resources you are not paying for.  Not only will you evenutally be caught, booted, and banned, but you'll probably get some nasty IM's or drama from other people that live on the sim and pay for their land.  You also may lose things when they are returned to you by the landowner, because they don't give you a chance to retrieve the things on your own, and sometimes things are lost due to technical reasons when returned this way. 

There are a few ways to make enough money in SL that you could use to rent a modest home or skybox.  However to make money consistently enough to pay rent, you have to work at it for hours each week  So if your time in SL is limited, that may not be an option.  Jobs are available but most employers won't hire you until you've been in SL at least 30 days, some require more, and you have lost the newb look of your avatar.  Doing that isn't so difficult.   With a little searching you can find nice items to use that are free.

Unless you just would enjoy a particular job as part of your SL experience, create things people will buy, or can offer a service people will pay for, your generally better off using RL money to buy lindens.  Since the exchange rate, of lindens for $US isn't bad, you may be able to forgo a small pleasure in RL, such as saving money you'd normally spend on coffee at work, and use that money in SL instead or even do something in RL that gives you a bit of extra income that you can use in SL such as small odd jobs or babysitting.  You can rent some nice small places for the equivalent of only a couple RL dollars a week.  Some come furnished, but you can also find free furniture to use if they don't.

Lastly, as the prior poster said, you really don't need land to enjoy a lot of SL although I understand your desire to have land.  Personally I've always liked having a home and rented my first cheap skybox when i was only a couple weeks old.

No. There used to be a place that would rent land in a sort of land lotto every month or something, but no one was guaranteed a spot. It was first come/first served. And they went out of business I think - when the economy went under.

I don't know if I should name them or not. It was a good thing they were doing, but difficult to do something like that out of pocket.

If you need a place to change there are several places that you can do that in some amount of privacy free of charge. Other than that, nowhere really private and yours.

Some people find empty places in SL to log in and out of but please use public places for log in and out from - don't do that in a home someone else is paying for please.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.