Sign in to follow this  
JaedenDelanaire

Picking out land... help! : )

I'm trying to pick out my first land, but having never done this before, I'm running into a lot of dead ends and I feel as though I need more experienced people to help with this.

I've already picked out the house I want. It's 60m tall with a 25 x 25m footprint, and 130 prims.

I'd be happy with either a simple plot in the sky or in the middle of the ocean (preferably spaced from other people, or at least enough that I can reasonably limit my view space and not see them). However, a nice foggy land with mildly dark color schemes would also fit my purpose. Maybe woodsy, dead tree type areas, too.

To some extent http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Parcels-for-Sale-Estate/Prices-SLASHED-at-Willowdale-Estate-Prettiest-Lots-in-SL/td-p/1417681 is also what I'm looking for (Willowdale), but I feel the colors are too bright and I don't want to be placed next to a beach like setting; I'd prefer either land locked or sea locked--Or even a craggy cliff overlooking the sea! But no beaches. I just don't like the color of them! 

So, how do I go about finding something like this? The property doesn't have to be big. I'd be happy if it was only able to fit my house in.  I'm not realy thrilled with spending more than 2k linden a week, which I feel is reasonable for a small land lot that isn't pre-homed and furnitured.

Any help? : >

So I'm curious why you are looking at estate properties and not considering becoming a premium member and buying mainland?  2k linden per week is $32 USD per month.  For $15 USD per month you could pay for a premium account at $10 monthly rate (even cheaper if you do quarterly or yearly) and your free 512sqm land + a $5 land tier for 512sqm more gives you 1024sqm with a 32mx32m footprint.  And you get 300L back per week to spend.  Plus access to premium gifts and premium sandbox access.  And better support.

Just curious why such a scenario is not in your plans since its half the price you are willing to pay to rent from another resident.

--Cinn

I recommend a 1,024 square meter plot, the land will support 234 prims. Average plot size is 32x32 square meters.

You can Rent Land, or, purchase a Premium Membership and secure your own land on one of the Mainland Continents,

I use the World Map, and Search, when looking for Land. If I find Land I like, I will open the World Map and look at adjacent Parcels for comparative land pricing's.

I've rented Land that was set For Sale, I've rented Land from Groups, I've rented Land from Owners who agreed to flatten the land and remove the sand. (sand is my least favorite texture, long story)

Don't be afraid to make offers, and or request.

Cinnamon Lohner wrote:

So I'm curious why you are looking at estate properties and not considering becoming a premium member and buying mainland?  2k linden per week is $32 USD per month.  For $15 USD per month you could pay for a premium account at $10 monthly rate (even cheaper if you do quarterly or yearly) and your free 512sqm land + a $5 land tier for 512sqm more gives you 1024sqm with a 32mx32m footprint.  And you get 300L back per week to spend.  Plus access to premium gifts and premium sandbox access.  And better support.

Just curious why such a scenario is not in your plans since its half the price you are willing to pay to rent from another resident.

--Cinn

Maybe Jaeden has looked at Mainland land and does not want to be beside banlined property, or laggy clubs and malls.

And, perhaps Jaeden realizes that for 1500 L per week, they can lease out a large Estate land parcel with 937 prims quite easily nowadays.

However, to find the kind of themed land Jaeden is looking for, it can only be found in Estate land, on grungy themed sims that do charge more than 1500 L per week for 937 prims. One such sim comes to mind, named Dead Drop, and another is Devils Pocket, but they are filled last time I looked.

The size lot you'll need not only depends on how big your house is, but what else besides the building you'll want. The number of prims you'll need also needs to be taken into consideration. 

Is the house you like furnished or unfurnished?  If not furnished you will of course need prims to furnish it.  Consider landscaping, such as trees, plants, gazebo's waterfalls etc. as these will require prims too.  Even if you buy land with these things on it, the prims they use will still be subtracted from the prims the lot will support.  You'll also may want to have about 50-100 prims extra to rez things out temporarily when you return from shopping to unpack, to rez toys, vehicles and such.

For furnishing your home, will you be satisfied with just a couple pieces of furniture in a room with a lot of open/empty space?  Or do you want to furnish a room closer to a RL room and also include accessories such as pictures, plants, books, items on tables etc?

You would be wise to look at furniture and landscaping items to get an idea of how many prims you'll need for that before deciding on a lot because if you don't you may purchase something that doesn't meet your needs.

A lot smaller than a 4096 won't give you much space and privacy unless you are in a skybox with no other skyboxes around.  Even if there aren't any when you buy your lot, that doesn't mean a neighbor won't put one up in the future.

As far as mainland vs. a private estate, I prefer private estates.   Mainland with a few exceptions has no covenant which means your neighbors can put anything they want next to you and it could be ugly or tacky or something you don't want to be near, such as big store or club.  You could have your lot landscaped as dark gothic and they do theirs as colorful tropical.  There just is no consistency there.  A private estate usually has a covenant that governs the overall theme of the sim and can be restricted to residences only.  The estate owner is generally available too to help you, whereas on the mainland the only help you get is for things you can file a ticket for and then have to wait sometimes weeks or months for a response.  Lastly, private estates generally let you terraform your land to a greater degree than mainland where you are restricted to raising or lowering the land by only 4 meters.  Terraforming will allow you to put in a pond or creek, to eliminate a beach and make a cliff, to raise hills on the borders to give you more of a private feel, (You will be able to set privacy controls on your land so people can't see or hear you from outside the borders but that doesn't mean it will feel private if your neighbors house is within just a few meters of yours.)

Mainland for the most part is cheaper for tiers, but you pay more for it initially.  Unless you choose an exceptional estate that has a lot of extra features and common areas for all the landowners to use, you generally only pay $1L to 'buy' land and then a weeks tier, or just the tier.  Yes the tiers run a bit higher, but to me its worth it to avoid all the pitfalls of owning mainland.

If you go with a private estate, just like in RL, be sure to do your homework,  Read the covenant and be sure you can abide by it.  Talk to the estate owner to get a feel for if they are a reasonable person.  Talk to people that live there and find out what they like or dislike about it.  Also be sure to buy on an estate that has been around a while and  has most of its land occupied, which indicates financial stability. The sim you buy in may be new and not fully occupied yet, but if they have a number of other mostly full sims, that is a good sign that they are doing well and are financially stable.   Keep in mind that you pay tiers to another resident and if they don't pay LL the tier the land will be taken away and you'll have little recourse.  However in the almost six years I've been in SL that's never happened to me because I do my homework first.

A 4096 is one of the most popular lot size as it gives you a reasonable amount of room as well as a reasonable amount of prims to furnish and landscape with.

The best way to be able to relax in any SL home, is to reduce worries or concerns.

Setting a Budget that you can sustain will free you from having to worry about the L$.

It is a Buyer's market, name your Terms if you are a Buyer. Continue searching until you find what best matches your needs.

Go premium. I've always bought mainland, it always way cheaper. (for me) I just want something to build on. I search for a 512 and sort by price. Then go to the cheapest and look. Too busy, go to the next one. Got a new one a few weeks ago for 249L. As it happens, I got my pay (400L) right after that so I was still 150L in front. That's the best way to get into land for the first time too.