How to prevent attacks in SL?

bessi222

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am a new resident of SL and I thought that SL was an open simulator game, with some resemblance to The Sims 3. I never knew there are Gears of War elements to it. I was in a sandbox area, trying to unpack some boxes of clothes when an avatar dressed up as some sort of massive spider shot me with some sort of glowing device and my avatar flew up into the air and spun around like a washing machine. 

Is there any neutral areas of SL for me to go where I won't get attacked? Do I need to purchase shields in SL to prevent attacks? If so, where do I go to purchase shielding?

Bessi

There are actually very few places you need to worry about being attacked. Unfortunately, public sandboxes are one of the big ones. You can unpack boxes anywhere that allows people to "rezz" objects. Many stores do, or at least have an area where you can. Just off the top of my head, search for a store called "Savoir Hair", which also has lots of free and cheap hairstyles you might be interested in.

Hi Bessi,

Theresa gave you a good idea about unpacking at stores.  I just wanted to say that something similar happened to me when I first joined SL.  Don't let it get to you.  My suggestion, if you don't mind, is to spend your Lindens on things you want for enjoyment rather than shield gadgets (no offense to gadget creators :))

Just to add that people aren't supposed to attack you in sandboxes, and can be suspended for so doing, but that's no help when it's going on.

If you have your account set to visit adult areas, there's a small area at the Adult Hub where people can unpack clothes and stuff.    There's usually plenty of helpers about, who -- since the area is privately owned -- have ample powers to deal with nuisances like your attacker by removing them from the sim and preventing their return.

Thank you soooooooooooooo much everyone for the great suggestions!

I will take your advice and try to find the places that you suggest to unpack boxes. Good to know there are friendly people on SL, not just big monsters with guns trying to zap you anytime you try to unpack a box of clothes. LOL

Those attacks are considered griefing, AR the offender, teleport elsewhere. Sadly, a lot of public sandboxes are overrun by griefers.

A few tips to help against griefers:

• Sit down (ALT+SHIFT+S) when you're idle or unpacking boxes. This prevents anyone or anything from pushing/moving you without your consent. It _also_ prevents you from accidentally sitting on any griefer object(s).
  • Do not ever engage griefers. They'll just use that as a pretext to AR _you_, and get _you_ banned.
  • Do not ever chat with griefers. It just gets them to wank their handcrank and get their rocks off.
  • Do not ever accept any objects (clothing, boxes, whatever) from strangers. Even the nicest strangers giving you things might not be as nice as you think. Notecards, LMs and such are safe enough.
  • If you do get hit by a griefer attack, TP away immediately. Do not try to click on your avi or anything else, unless you are VERY sure that you're indeed clicking in what you think you're clicking in. If you accidentally click on some griefer objects, your SLife is going to get a lot worse.
  • Mute griefers (and just about anyone else who pisses you off)
  • If you can, take a screenshot of what's happening and file an AR explaining exactly what happens/happened.
  • TP away

Griefers, thieves and manipulative scum are a fact of life on the Internet, and SL is no different. Just be careful and have fun safely.

LOL Welcome to Second Life, I remember my new resident days as being greifed quite often.  A few tips:

1. Find a "safe' sandbox to do your building, and unboxing etc until you find a place to live where you can hang out in peace. Some sandboxes provide a monitor that will remove people who are being disruptive. Some sandboxes have a special group so only those in the group can rez objects on the land, or run scripts.

2. Be aware of land settings, At the top of your screen are icons that let you know what can and can't happen on a parcel.  Rezing objects, running scripts, flying. 

3.  If being griefed you have the ability to teleport away.  It's intrusive to what you were doing, yes, but that is an option. Sitting on an object can help keep someone using a scripted item from moving you. (if they don't own, or have rights to mod/move the item.

I've found over time, I am greifed less and less. Cheer up, back in the day, we used to get 'orbited' and that would set you up over 18,000 meters in the air. 

MoiselleErin Teardrop wrote:

Griefers and vampires love to target new folks.

New folks often don't know how to work the report abuse functionality - and may not even know how to figure out the name of who attacked them, so become targets...

But, if you pay attention and grab the name, you can get someone who attacks like you this permanently banned from Second Life.

Look on the people tab at the who's nearby section, and look at the name over the person hassling you.

I do not market anything in sl and am not trying to promote anything.  But I did purchase a Mystitool from the second life market place (see the shopping tab in the menu above, just put it in the search box) and it has helped me numerous times.  You can lock your position so no one can toss you or move you.  It has an easy to use menu with a myriad of other options, including recording your teleports for you so you can go back to places you forgot to landmark along with defensive and offensive options such as hanging onto someone to stop them or tossing them or standing on them, helps you to fly beyond your normal 500 ft option, tells you who is colliding with you, sends notecards, and lots lots more .  It's been immensely helpful to me.  It costs around $400 linden, but it's been worth it to me.

Greifers are like weasels and hefferlumps, they lurk in every corner and can appear out of thin air, one must be vigilant when looking after ones honey or money.

Just sit down or have fun doing things to them, when I owned needles estates(31 sims) I had the power of god in those sims, I would insist on capturing them, I would freeze them and sit next to them for a little chat, I would delve deep into their souls and find all the things to destroy them from the inside, people here are so fragile, the lindens didn't like me doing it and thought me a bigger danger than the greifers, well the way I saw it if you can get one greifer to hang themselves then you must be doing something right, lol.

But after 8 bannings for mostly my little chats I am expected to respect all your rights to life, so don't do it any more, but the way I see it greifers are fair game, I am told to AR them, and I have, it don't seem to make a blind difference but those are the rules, its far better that you find out they are fat and then take them apart over that or any other RL problem they have(greifing shows they have one) than to AR, but rules are rules even if they don't work.

bessi222 wrote:

Hello,

I am a new resident of SL and I thought that SL was an open simulator game, with some resemblance to The Sims 3. I never knew there are Gears of War elements to it. I was in a sandbox area, trying to unpack some boxes of clothes when an avatar dressed up as some sort of massive spider shot me with some sort of glowing device and my avatar flew up into the air and spun around like a washing machine. 

Is there any neutral areas of SL for me to go where I won't get attacked? Do I need to purchase shields in SL to prevent attacks? If so, where do I go to purchase shielding?

Bessi

Hi Bessi!  Welcome to SL and to the SL forums!  May I suggest, Helping haven.  Do a search on it and go there to unpack you things.  No griefers there.  Also you can come to my sim and unpack.  Do a search on Lagrange Point.  I have the sim set to 200 minutes auto return so plenty of time to unpack!  I hope this helps!

Peace!

also something that gets overlooked a lot is..make sure you are not in a sandbox that allows combat..hehehe

they will usually say something in the rules of the sandbox or in their search add..

also if you are premium you can use the private sandboxes that are open to concierge and premium members..those are pretty quiet and safe =)

Lucinda Bulloch wrote:

I had the power of god in those sims, I would insist on capturing them, I would freeze them and sit next to them for a little chat, I would delve deep into their souls and find all the things to destroy them from the inside, people here are so fragile, the lindens didn't like me doing it and thought me a bigger danger than the greifers, well the way I saw it if you can get one greifer to hang themselves then you must be doing something right, lol.

Really?  I can't do anything  like that  with my estate tools than turn off physics on the sim, which would certainly freeze griefers but would also freeze everyone else, me included.   I can freeze individuals by using the parcel tools, but I don't think that lasts more than 30 seconds-odd.  

And how I could prevent someone I'd frozen either tp-ing away or muting me is a mystery.

Yeah. A raised platform up high is what I always do in a skybox. Even in quiet sandboxes too. Plus, if you are sitting on your platform, you can edit it's position to anywhere in the sim. If someone bothers me I simply move my platform to the opposite side of the sim and 1000 meters up or down.

Unless you were in a weapons testing sandbox, you were attacked in a safe zone and should report it. Go to Help/Report Abuse and fill in the form.

Avoid crowded sandboxes. If you are not premium, the next best thing if you need a sandbox, is to find one that has almost no traffic. Just keep clicking through results in search until you find one.

If someone does bother you, click the land to see who owns it and let them know what happened. Include details like name, time, what happened, etc. As well as the Abuse Report, above. Things like that help keep it down to a low roar, at least.

Generally, griefers target newbies and places newbies go, because they get more of a rise out of them. Try going places that are more off the beaten path for a while. Always read the land description for a good idea what to expect. Read the rules as well if any are given there.

Good luck.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3049 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.