Info on promotion

Lumychan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some information.

My shop is only on the marketplace since I don't have enough money to pay a ocntinuous rent of a shop in-game, but being a new shopkeeper there is a thing I noticed right away: huge competition. Or rather, sometimes it's not really competition per say (since I sell for a niche market that's not all that developed yet) but rather that there is an overload of items for sale: everyone is creating something and that makes it difficult for my items (and my brand) to get the attention.

So I've been looking into ways to promote my shop in the game.

I've heard of things that are similar to flee markets and item fairs, where you can sent out a small corner and set out your items and promote your shop during the fair/event.

Does this actually exist? What are these events called and where can I find them? And, if possible, a brief explanation of how they work?

Also, if you guys have any suggestions on how I could better promote my shop, please let me know. I'm really looking for information.

Thank you everyone!

Hi Lumychan, congrats on your first marketplace shop! I had pretty much a very similar question a while ago, see here. In my opinion when it comes to the marketplace or if you have both a shop in-world and marketplace when it comes to advertising we're just thrown out there (and it is each store owners responsibility I suppose). But information on advertising and such just isn't as readily available as we'd like it.

There are in fact different fairs and events to advertise your products. Try TPing around to places that have similar items in your niche (furniture stores, rp sims, Victorian clothing shops, steampunk shops, etc) and check out the shops there. Look and see what postings (signs) of different things they might participate in and see if you can get more info about it and see if it would be something you'd be interested in. Also, search in-world groups that pertain to your type of market and join them and ask the group if they may know of any good groups to join.

For the clothing market, I know there are groups for fashion that you can send notices once or twice a week about a new product you may have. You would have to look and see what groups are out there for the niche market you are in.

I have some suggestions for your listings on the Marketplace:

1- Better pictures.Your backgrounds are messing you up. If the main picture is not clear and detailed, most buyers won't clock to see the rest.

EXAMPLE: The elaborate background of the steampunk cane obscures the detail. And if you say it smokes, make sure the main picture clearly shows it emitting smoke.

EXAMPLE: The hat, Charlotta" ... the trees in the background are merged with the details of the hat.

Lighten all the pictures up so the product detail can be seen.

2 - Better titles. " "The Ticking Step"" means nothing to me, doesn't get my attention. "Steampunk cane with smoke puff emitter" might get more attention. "Steaming Steampunk chair with Cog wheels"  is clearer than "simple chair".

On the hats, describe the hat in the titles ... "Green hat with butterflies and roses",

There's lots of small things you can do that take a little time but no money. Like pop a signature under your posts with a link to your MP store. Use your SL profile to promote your services. Use a Flickr/Snapzilla account to share images and links. Search for inworld groups which might help you make contact others in your industry to hear about whats on and relevant.

Thank you very much to the people that gave me help and even to those who have offered me deals for a in-game store. I'm very very grateful.

I follwed the links and foudn the Second Marketing blog which is fantastic.

But it seems no one answered my question yet. Do promotional events like fairs ans stuff exist in SL and how do they work?

Thanks for any help you send me.

Hi Lumychan, I tried to answer your question in my first posting. Though you may not feel like it since I didn't offer any links or exact places. Unless other people here is in the niche market you are in I do not know if anyone will know any exact fairs, or events that you may be interested in. I suggested to go to places similar to what you offer and look any signs they may have posted to see if it is something you can participate in as well or search for groups that pertain to your market and ask there. Also try searching the events section to see if you can find any fairs that may be going on and you may can get involved the next time they have one.

Each fair and promotional event will be different in how they work. With the one's I have been involved in you either pay a small fee or it is free to rez a few items on prims and set them for sale. I've been involved in one that everything is under $100L.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Princess wrote:

"There are in fact different fairs and events to advertise your products. Try TPing around to places that have similar items in your niche (furniture stores, rp sims, Victorian clothing shops, steampunk shops, etc) and check out the shops there. Look and see what postings (signs) of different things they might participate in and see if you can get more info about it and see if it would be something you'd be interested in. Also, search in-world groups that pertain to your type of market and join them and ask the group if they may know of any good groups to join."

The best way to find events/fairs and things like that is to join some of the hunt groups. I know without land you can't really participate, unless someone is willing to lend you land or you find a small shop relatively cheap for the duration of the hunt, but joining those groups isn't just about participating in them. You can network with other people, find out information about events, and it's a great(free) stepping stone.

RFL in SL starts very soon, and there are a ton of events that take place during it. It lasts 4 months. While the money earned from product sales at these events, goes entirely to The American Cancer Society, it's a great way to at least get exposure. Exposure is really important when your goal is "just to be seen".(which should be your goal in the beginning anyway).I happen to know your market(which isn't actually as small or undeveloped as it might seem, lol, there's a pretty big steampunk market out there), but it's very popular market among many, many members of RFL in SL.

There are all kinds of other events, for various charities, or themes even, done year round. But you really need to get into that community to hear about it. Sometimes you'll see the events advertised here on the forums, or even just look in the events listings in-world. But for the most part, it's word of mouth that gets it passed around. It takes some time to find them, though. It'll require legwork on your part. You need to get out there, join groups, wander the grid, and see what you find. No one person will be able to necessarily point you in the right direction, because there are multiple.

Google can be your friend too, despite what some think. You can actually find out about events, groups, websites, blogs, etc... dedicated specifically to those kinds of things, just by searching the net.

Thank you very much Tari, that was very useful. I'll take a look at the RFL. I AM trying to get exposure mroe than anything and trying to build a client base that wll return to the shop. Right now, all fo my sales have been spontaneous buyers who haven't returned (I'm sure there's one or two exceptions), and I want to change that. ALso, I want more people to know my shop exists.

Also, I'm working on bettering some of the pictures of my items. Thanks for the suggestion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.