Location Scouting

Strawberry Singh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Other than photography, my other love in SL is actually exploring and location scouting. I used to use the destination guide and inworld search to find a lot of places, which I sometimes still do because I find that it is the fastest method. However, I also have a few favorite websites that I refer to which I highlighted in my Exploring Second Life blog post a few months back.

Do you ever go location scouting? How do you discover new places to explore inworld? What's one of your favorite places that you have recently discovered?

My recent favorite actually kind of fell in my lap. I was approached by Virtual Asia, a very interesting community sim. I love the city feel it has, it makes for great pics. This is a quick raw snapshot I took while I was exploring one day. You can read more about Virtual Asia in my blog post.

Virtual Asia

• Like 3

Lost Beach is a sim which is worth to be explored. Its a part of the Lost Angels sim chain, which means that it is a roleplay sim. But as its some sims away from the heart of the sims its a calm place as long as the local vampire family does not have events there. Its a bit grungy and there is a great underwater part.
At the beach promenade are some stores for example a big magic store and a tattoo studio.

If you do not wear a combat meter people will mainly ignore you. And the roleplayers in lost angels are very friendly.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Lost%20Beach/211/162/72

I love to explore places in Second Life that I have an interest about in real life.  For instance, Egypt, Paris, Spain.  Mrs. Raynier and I take a little trip to such sims on a virtual vacation.  I also currently am doing a large roleplay story that takes place in Cairo.  We explored a few sims that are Middle Eastern and have used the locations as well as building one on our sim.  It's a great deal of fun to see places you can't in real life via your virtual world.  Just using the SEARCH feature gave us quite a few choices.  We are slated for an African tour soon on a sim that provides that.

Hiya!  Looking good up there! :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

When I am doing location shots, I like to use a variety of resources to choose from:

Flickr : There are tons of groups from Second Life - Landscapes to Xploring Second Life to help me choose the perfect location. More flickr groups are posted on the Travel Blogs section of Blogging Second Life listed below.

Second Life - Search - Destination Guide:  Great advertised places to explore, and photograph.

Second Life -  Search:  General searching various keywords for things I am looking for can turn up hidden corners of the grid.  It can take a bit of teleporting around, and then rezzing, but worth it if you find that perfect place out of 50.

Blogs: When am reading blogs, and notice the photos were shot on location I try to take notes of places to explore later if the blogger mentions the location.  Notable blogs to find locations inworld are travel blogs featured on Blogging Second Life.

A while back I did some bikini pictures for the feeds and in that case I did go location scouting.  I also use the Destination Guide and in world search to find locations on which I could do my photo shoots. (After a while people starting sending me great LMs) Two of my favorites where Oahu:

secondlife://Oahu/74/227/20

...and a place called Crater Lake which is where this picture was taken:

secondlife://Imago/132/97/32

(Sorry my LMs are not clickable but if you paste them in your viewer they will get you there.)

SwimSuit10.png

Y'all have mentioned most of what I would have mentioned.  Koinup.com and SL's destination guide are my two favorite places.  I am also really appreciative of bloggers I admire who take the time to mention where they took photos at.  Word of mouth is one of the best ways to learn about new places popping up in SL. :) 

I like nature myself, Gulf of Lune is beautiful, all the Caladon sims, hope I spelled that correct. Also great and more romantic are ChouChou and World's end garden. For a more contemporary look as backdrop I like to go to art in SL, like art by Bryn Oh or Claudia22Jewel or others, and make it a bit more an abstract backdrop.

Great topic BERRY!! I am always hunting for great places to shoot and I think of course TORLEY Linden's Flickr Stream is always a great source of the hottest places in SL.

But sometimes you can't resist your backyard!  I love The Grove by Umberto Giano, the community of sims offer up a perfect backdrop to any shoot!

The Grove.jpg

Photo taken at The Grove (piano added for the shoot)

Full Styling Details in the February 2012 Edition of AVENUE Magazine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.