Discussion! How do you choose your accoutrements?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm curious: when you are buying clothes for your avatar, what is the main deciding factor for deciding to purchase? Is it because it is a specific style you enjoy, or is it because you feel your created avatar would specifically choose it him/herself? Do you buy something because a specific brand makes it? Does it need to be flawless quality / a fully meshed item?

Do you buy an outfit because you're trying to impress the opposite sex, or because it impresses you? What themes do you try to go for? Quirky? Cutesy? Or dark and expressive?Perhaps you just like buying a wide variety of things so you can mix and match unique setups in your inventory?

Personally, I buy outfits if I feel my RP character, Jaeden will wear them--and only if. This means I've bought a lot of pastel and 'cutesy' things that I would have otherwise passed up as being too "Barbie-ish." However, there are one or two times where I've built up an OOC outfit just for pure fun out of very cheap clothes just to match up a 'Candy-goth' style.

Well, I love to shop and I enjoy creating complete looks with clothing, shoes, hair & accessories!  It's basically a creative outlet for me and I enjoy every minute of it!  My avi is not limited to one specific style or one specific designer but there are many designers in sl that I love and I keep going back when they release something new.  I am very picky though, I won't wear something if the quality or the textures are not very good.   

I only shop when I have to.

I purchased a suit from an Inworld Store. The store owner made it easy to buy. The store only sells men's suits. The Store was not laggy or overloaded. I didn't get any notecards, or group invites. Nobody greeted me, because the store only displays a few selections, no demos. The Item photos clearly displayed what was included, and what was not.

Mod - I change up things a lot. If its not Mod I'll need an extra push to get it. More important for items I rez in my home than items I wear. But for anything for my furry look - its a flat out requirement.

Copy - I prefer copy. Not so important for items I wear, just handy. But for items I rez this is almost always a flat out requirement.

Trans - meaningless to me.

Price: I shop a lot, but I prefer lower priced goods so that I can shop a lot. I am more likely to buy 10 200L items in your shop, than even a single 800L item. If the thing that caught my eye was the 800L one, I'm likely to leave... Even though I was prepared to spend more than twice that total. Price break points vary for me - but I know enough about making things in SL that I can tell what I think something is worth; so 800L - you won't see me paying that for an outfit, but I'd consider it low for a furry avatar.

Style adaptability: Switching between furry and neko looks, I need items I can wear in both. So will it look ok with furry legs, paws and claws? Will it look ok if I wear it without the digitigrade legs, but keep on the paws and claws? Can I wear just parts of it or it is designed to be worn only as a whole?

Style theme: Is it made for a design taste I appreciate? Is it too clearly identifiable with an ethnic group that does not match with my theme(s)?

Scripted: If its script heavy, I won't buy it.

Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:

I shop. (
^_^
)

Then I shop some more. (
^_^
)

Then I keep shopping. (
^_^
)

If something catches my eye, I buy it. =^-^=

Then I wear it to go out shopping again. (
^_^
)y

/me laughs

we thought you never wore clothes

/me chuckles

(just joking)

I look for beautifully textured/constructed things...and they must be mod/copy

If an item is scripted for size/color change, i want to be able to make a copy, make the changes, and remove all traces of the script

I have only found one piece of mesh clothing that fits my avatar correctly...i don't change my shape for clothing.

I buy a wide variety of things because i always mix and match...i rarely wear a whole 'outfit' out of the box, and have never used the Outfits folder in my inventory

I don't roleplay, and i don't necessarily do themes...i just have alot of moods..heheh

I buy things that please me...:)

I shop much more than I buy.  I look for everything with no specific item in mind (well, sometimes I will go a search for something specific but usually don't find it and wind up either not buying anthing or something else that just hit my fancy at the moment).  I won't alter my shape to fit my clothing so it's rare that I buy prim clothing but I do get ideas that I use to make my own if I really want something prim.  I don't know how to make meshes (though I'm about to jump into Blender again to try) so I don't own any mesh clothing.......that could change if I see something I really like enough to take the chance that it will fit properly on my shape.

To answer you question:  It's basically all about the mood I'm in at the moment I see it.

Each of my avatars has his or her personal sense of style. They each have certain types of clothing and accessories that they would choose to wear, and other things they wouldn't be caught dead wearing.So in terms of style, what they buy depends on the defined personality of each fictional character.

Quality has to be high - seams that match, patterns that don't badly distort. If I buy an item of clothing and the side seams don't even come close to matching, it goes in the trash, and it is very unlikely I would go back to that clothing seller again.

Prim accessories have to be modifiable. Not by a resize script, either, because those NEVER have enough options for resizing the ways I need to do. Scripted stuff that uses a script once to set color options or size had better be able to completely delete the scripts once set up. In general, the words "Resize script" equals "No sale" for me.

Most of my clothes need to be copyable, If I am going to mod them, which I ususally must to to fit my avatsr well, then I need a backup of the original.

I couldn't care less about being able to transfer clothes.

As far as things like mesh or not, I will not buy mesh clothes until they get them to automatically adjust to the actual shape of my avatar. I will not change my shape to give my avatar shoulders or breasts or a butt that doesn't look at all like the way my avatar looks now, just to cram myself into someone's attempt at making mesh clothing. None of my avatars seem to fit any of the "standard size assumptions" that the people attempting to make mesh clothes so far have put forth. Also, I really dislike the idea that I might go somewhere wearing Mesh, and be seen naked and wearing a donut or a sphere or a box that is badly textured. (or like large parts of my body are missing completely). I care about how my avatars look, and I don't want to look like a bad practical joke has been played on me.

For me, an item has to be of top quality.. texturing, design, highlighting and shading, etc.. for me to buy it.

It also has to be modify, whether or not resize scripts are included. No mod = No buy, but that goes triple for anything with prim/sculpty attachments. My shape is so far from the trendy norm that it literally *is* impossible to use a script only to make something fit. The only exception is boots and shoes.

I'm much more likely to take a chance on something if the vendor pics are high rez and show front, back, and the all important side seams. Been fooled way too many times by pics that do not show the side seams to seriously consider the purchase if I can't see them.

I live in seperates. I only buy a whole outfit when I want a certain piece out of it, but you'll almost never catch me wearing the full outfit unless it's like a catsuit, or simply perfect top to bottom.

I choose my style by completely ignoring all fads, trends, and popular "must haves", and do my own thing.. unless it's to deliberately dress the opposite of such things. Over the years I've become quite good at this, and pretty much refuse to wear what everybody else is wearing.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:

I'm curious: when you are buying clothes for your avatar, what is the main deciding factor for deciding to purchase? Is it because it is a specific style you enjoy, or is it because you feel your created avatar would specifically choose it him/herself? Do you buy something because a specific brand makes it? Does it need to be flawless quality / a fully meshed item?

Brand: irrelevant. I decide purchases based on weighing price/quality/availability.

What my avatar likes is what I like in sl, as in sl I AM my avatar.

That may mean buying something of lower quality that's a lot cheaper and/or more to my liking than something of top quality.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:Do you buy an outfit because you're trying to impress the opposite sex, or because it impresses you? What themes do you try to go for? Quirky? Cutesy? Or dark and expressive?Perhaps you just like buying a wide variety of things so you can mix and match unique setups in your inventory?

I buy things to fit my role that catch my eyes. Given the life I have in sl, that's stuff that for the most part won't do discussing in a GP forum (though not too extreme, I've several outfits that won't be misplaced in GP sims, unless maybe one takes offense at seeing any skin at all, or seeing the body covered in form fitting latex) :)

Mostly I go for things that accentuate the beauty of my avatar, and/or are simply practical for the sims I live.

That does mean I spent quite a bit on my body rather than that which (somewhat, in many outfits) covers it.

JaedenDelanaire wrote:Personally, I buy outfits if I feel my RP character, Jaeden will wear them--and only if. This means I've bought a lot of pastel and 'cutesy' things that I would have otherwise passed up as being too "Barbie-ish." However, there are one or two times where I've built up an OOC outfit just for pure fun out of very cheap clothes just to match up a 'Candy-goth' style.

I'd buy cheapish stuff to visit sims with a completely different theme from my usual hangouts, or go to a quality freebie store and browse the shelves there. Apart from that what I own is all IC.

I would rather be kicked in my arse than shop. That said, I moved on to designing most of the clothes I wear because I found it nearly impossible to NOT look like a hooker tramp, given the majority of selections in SL. 

I'm not a frilly girly girl and have no qualms about wearing my cleanest dirty thing in RL. Even though my bits are mere pixels, I want 'em covered. Boots and jeans for me.

They have to have nice textures, I usually choose a group gift to try first to check out sculpted prims, resize scripts, textures and detail. If it looks like it's painted on? I don't wear it. If the belt sticks out inches on either side of me but hides in my back and front? No. If you're still using invisi prims? No. I'm very very picky. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.