When can I modify my avatar?

JRhapsody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There are some things you can change using the Appearance sliders to make your own Shape (such as height, head shape, and so on). Other things you are better off buying or making yourself if you are an artist (skin, tattoos, hair). There are a lot of free things and lots of them are high-quality, too, especially for new players or as gifts from shops or prizes in hunts. You can also buy a shape or use a free shape (and modify it if it has mod permissions).

Clothing comes in combinations of texture clothing layers, sculpty attachments, and mesh clothing (which is new). In particular boots/shoes, to me, are much better in mesh than otherwise. New, too, are all-mesh avatars - and keep an eye on these as we'll probably see interesting developments in this area.

I've seen some gorgeous black skins, both male and female - you might want to browse the Marketplace or possibly start a thread asking for recommendations.

There's a ton to consider including Permissions, overall scripting, and so on, but you'll catch on in good time. For now gear up and make your avatar exactly the way you want. Good luck, and have fun!

I should add that the skin will look different on every shape - the skin itself doesn't alter the underlying structure which is the Shape itself. You are always wearing some skin or other and some shape or other; you 'replace' those, rather than take them off. If you want a quick package you can buy a complete avatar on the SL Marketplace or inworld.

Use DEMO skins to see how you like them.

Another thing everyone uses is an Animation Override - called an AO. These change the movements your avatar makes from the default to ones that express more of your style. They can be bought as a whole package or you can buy animations separately and make your own.

If you are a writer consider blogging your adventures. I love reading stuff like that :-D

JRhapsody wrote:

So far he's just regular Joe Blow walking around. How do Make him more like me and Goth him up? Make him black.

you have a search option on your viewer that lets you search for stores and places..

at the top there are tabs..i would say go to the everything tab and just type in Goth and you should get slammed with tons of places to get all gothy =)

you can do the same for hair or goth clothes skins and so on

also there is the market place..which you can find at the top of these forums under the shopping  section..

JRhapsody wrote:

I guess it's about where to look for what I want then. So far all I've seen in stores is stuff for women.

it is true that there is more content available for women's bodies (and clothes) than men's, but it does exist. I helped a new player get set up at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Freebies%20SunLand/250/213/63

he now looks quite nice :) Not as good as buying commercial grade shape, skin, and clothes, but not bad for for stuff.

I'm sure there are many more such places, I'm pretty new myself and must admit I've never really looked for them (the few I know I stumbled across or were shown me by others).

Blogs blogs blogs

theres are a lot of men blogs as well as women fashion blogs, you dont need to copy their look, but it will give you a good idea of where to look for the most in fashion things for men or women

Start here, and then in the same page you have other peoples fashion blog so you can look for the kind of style you want

http://menstuff.stuff-sl.com/

Try the FabFree shop in world or their blog. If you have money to spend there are lots of men's places now, I see them blogged or worn in world, or taking part in hunts. If you don't have money to spend you can use the blog and their shop for some free stuff. And if you do have money, using freebies is one way to sample things.

Join some groups of places you like and they often send out free gifts. 

To wear new things, once you have opened the box it goes into your inventory. Find it in there and right click on it and choose wear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.