Blender weight painting tools broken/missing...?

Olyphaunt Offcourse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

alright so i posted about this on the blender forums about a week and a bit ago, no reply even... hopefully i'll fare better here.

the 'all faces' option, which is supposed to toggle occlusion of background geometry when weight painting, was not working in blender 2.60. I upgraded to 2.62 hoping it was a bug that was fixes, only to find that toggle gone completely. I go back to an old pre 2.5 blender that i KNOW it was working on last time i used it AAAAAND: it won't work.

When trying to rig somethign this is a HUGE hassle, and easily makes things take 8 times longer than they should. Does anyone know what's up? anyone had this problem? is it on my end? I uninstalled and reinstalled blander, botht he new one and the old, and no change. Is there an add-on i can get that'll fix this? Is there even another way to assign weights to verts?

I am not sure what option you exactly mean. Can you tell where it has been located in Blender 2.59 ?

Can it be that you mean the face filter mask ? So that you can select only those vetices that should be painted to avoid unintentionally painting on other areas ? there is an icon to enable this function right to the viewport shading selector ("Face selection masking for painting") maybe its that what you ask for ? hmmm, that works in the SAME way in old Blender, so probably i am wrong with my assmption.

Naw, i mean there is an option that is called 'all faces' as part fo the weight painting tools, in 2.60 it was under 'weight tools' on the tool sidebar and in 2.62 it's gone. The issue is that i want to paint on all faces under the cursor regardless of whether they'e visible , but it's stuck only painting on visible ones. so if i have a mesh with, say, a mouth interior sculpted, or nostrils that run up into the nose, i have no easy way of assigning weights to those verts. I DID, after poking round a bit, find that you can select the verts you want to assign a weight to and do it in the object properties, but that's a hell of a lot less intuitive than painting... it looks likethat's what i may be stuck doing though. :/

Oh, ok. that one... that function was never implemented in Blender 2.6 as far as i know. I never missed it. Actually i was happy that it no longer paints on the (invisible) backside.

However you can assign a constant value to the selected vertices. You can do that in the Object Data properties section:

• Go to  edit mode
  • Select the vertex group you want to weight
  • Now you can assign a value to all selected verts. Caveat: If some selected verts where NOT in the group before, now they are added. That may not be what you want though.
  • Maybe that helps ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.