RC server problems

Lydia Craig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Last Wednesday's RC server up date was far from a success and in fact has created more or faster mermory leaks, a serious proble with failed ports and numerous in sim crashes as well as difficult login and constant inventory problems.  Apparently some in LL do not learn from their mistakes and hide behind the veil of irresponsibilty LLs policy of permissivness affords and somehow make the same mistakes over and over again with the same devastating results.  They and the leadership of LL are starting to remind me of Voltaire's comment on the French Bourbons, "they never learn anything, but never forget it either". Maybe the Lindens should reflect upon these comments and remember that a few year after Voltaire penned that line, the Bourbon line was almost totally destroyed but the disaster of 1789 and the Revolution.  At this point I have to seriously wonder if the Lindens can or will do any better.

Lydia -

You are obviously having problems. However, almost none of them can POSSIBLY be connected to being on a release candidate region or on the server code itself. Avatar inventory is kept on servers that are completely separate from the simulation servers. If your inventory isn't simply unmanageably large there may be corruption in it but that's nothing anyone in the simulation server side can take blame for. The memory leaks are in the viewer - it looks to be a problem with the memory management that doesn't release memory when it's no longer needed. I get them too. I can work around it by turning my graphics down. I live on RC Magnum and haven't seen any unusual problems with logging in or teleporting, and Magnum right now has by far the most unusual code for region crossings. The server code on a release channel is only slightly different from the main channel at any given time.  Login and teleport problems are often symptoms of an erratic connection.  

You keep announcing that your problems are caused by the RC server rolls when it's exactly as likely that many of them could have been caused by the black cat that crossed your path earlier in the week. It's not getting your problems solved and it's a poor reflection on you.

@Lydia

I hear you say more or less the same things every week, and yet our sim, also on an RC channel (LeTigre) suffers from none of the issues that you report.

The memory leakage issue is, I suspect, far more likely to be a client side issue, since LLviewer 3.2.8 and related Firestorm 3.3.0 have a distinct CPU issue and are also known to have memory leak issues.

The sim crashes sound ominously similar to some we encountred on Main Server some months ago, (no, not TIMEWARP I was assured it was NOT that) which precipitated a move (organised by LL, not me) to a new server (judging by its number) on LeTigre.

Despite your obvious dislike and mistrust of Linden Lab, I would ask for a move and have your sim moved to an 11000 series server and see if that abates your issues.

Despite the fact that you have a deep hostility towards LL, I urge you to do this, Lydia, if for no other reason than to reduce your bloodpressure.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.