Newbie question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a skybox that I want to put water in.  I can't find in the marketplace anywhere that I can buy water so I figure I have to make it myself.  Am I wrong?  If I am right, is it a question of getting a texture I like for water with some animation or another (for waves say), and then putting it on some flat plane and making it mostly transparent?  If not, I'm totally without a clue how to start on this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

That's pretty much correct. To put an animated water texture into the prim you will need a texture and a texture animation script. Both go into the contents of the prim.

Like this one I guess:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/FLORA-Full-Permission-Animated-Water-42-by-Dingdong-Davi/1077891

If you want to swim in it you could get a swimmer hud which comes with a script (you put into your water) that allows you to swim in your prim water. The swimmer hud also lets you swim in linden water. Kind of useful.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Swimmer-206-from-Waterworks-Swim-in-prim-OR-sim-water/908729

The water texture and texture animation script may be all you need if you are going for lake water..  If you are trying to create an ocean effect, than you may also want to have waves, and splashes.

Waves now days are made from sculpted prims..  There are kits you can get that help you create your own waves.  However, you can also just buy waves and put them on top of your animated water prim. What is better for you will depend.. If you plan on making skyboxes to sell,then you'll want the kits.  If however this is for just personal use you may find buying waves is a more economical alternative.

Splash effects are achieved by using a particle script and a special texture.  You can also buy splashes where you buy waves. Particle scripts are free, there is one in your library.  However, it will take some learning on your part to know how to use the script to achieve the look of a splash.  Particle scripts are generic and the scripting variables are what achieves the look of a splash, vs... smoke, vs... flames or even butterflies fluttering around.  You would also need to find a suitable texture.  I haven't seen kits for making your own splashes, only completed products (a script properly coded with the texture and effect variables,  inside a prim) .  However someone else may know if there are some around.  Again what is best for you will depend on you goal is commercial or personal.

Bree Giffen wrote:

That's pretty much correct. To put an animated water texture into the prim you will need a texture and a texture animation script. Both go into the contents of the prim.

Like this one I guess:

If you want to swim in it you could get a swimmer hud which comes with a script (you put into your water) that allows you to swim in your prim water. The swimmer hud also lets you swim in linden water. Kind of useful.

THanks for the info.  This is for my own skybox.  I have the water texture and an animation script I bought from the marketplace.  What prim do I put these on?I also have a swimmer hUD for just this purpose.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

The water texture and texture animation script may be all you need if you are going for lake water..  If you are trying to create an ocean effect, than you may also want to have waves, and splashes.

Waves now days are made from sculpted prims..  There are kits you can get that help you create your own waves.  However, you can also just buy waves and put them on top of your animated water prim. What is better for you will depend.. If you plan on making skyboxes to sell,then you'll want the kits.  If however this is for just personal use you may find buying waves is a more economical alternative.

Splash effects are achieved by using a particle script and a special texture.  You can also buy splashes where you buy waves. Particle scripts are free, there is one in your library.  However, it will take some learning on your part to know how to use the script to achieve the look of a splash.  Particle scripts are generic and the scripting variables are what achieves the look of a splash, vs... smoke, vs... flames or even butterflies fluttering around.  You would also need to find a suitable texture.  I haven't seen kits for making your own splashes, only completed products (a script properly coded with the texture and effect variables,  inside a prim) .  However someone else may know if there are some around.  Again what is best for you will depend on you goal is commercial or personal.

Not as concerned about big waves as I am about being able to figure out what prim to put my water texture and animation script on.  This is not for sale, just for my personal use.  What do I put te waves on?  I think I need a prim for that.  I will tackle particle scripts if I need splash effects but don't need them yet, I don't think.

Thanks for the info!

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question about the prim correctly, but if I am:

You make the prim yourself by using the build menu in your viewer. You will start off with a simple box. You can then edit that using the Edit menu. I don't know what shape water surface you are intending on making, but a square/rectangle would simply be stretching the prim box you have rezzed to fit whereever you intend to have the water. If the area is round, change the object to cylinder. Other shapes would require sculpties (as mentioned above).

And the script goes in to the Content tab of the prim.

I would start by learning the basics of building first.

(If I am fully misinterpreting your question, I will use the excuse that I am ill and should be in bed instead of sitting here reading the forum. LOL)

If you're new, making water is a big jump. Good water often has two layers of prim, each rotating in different directions, with scripts for mist, sounds, splash, etc. Many building sites offer these items, many free.

Try searching inwolrd for waterfalls, and often the sellers of these, sell other water items. Another thing, what kind of water do you want? A pool? A little river? A lake? 

If you want to learn to build, there are inworld classes and many sandboxes to practice. Meantime, try finding something you can purchase if you're wanting it right away.

All the suggestions given above will work just fine.

However if you really want to get fancy, you can try to follow this tutorial and you'll have moving waves (some upload costs will be involved though).

If you want the water to appear to ripple when someone mouses over it (this requires the observer haveV2's media on a prim active to be able to see the effect) this script from the same site might be helpful to you.

I notice you say you have a swimmer hud you want to use with the water you are making. Be aware that - at least some - swimmer huds require *either linden water OR specifically scripted water* to work. A prim with an animated water texture on it is 'just' a prim. The swimmer hud does not necessarily know anything about it being water at all. It does not know the difference between a water texture or a concrete texture - and you don't want to go swimming in concrete :P

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4403 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.