[solved] Calculating physical cost

Owen Lusch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all,

I'm working on a bus in mesh. This is the first vehicle i'm making that has a physical shape that makes it possible to walk in the bus. I got all this working, people can get in and out though the doors, and can't walk through the seats and poles inside the bus. When the bus is not set to physical, it has a LI of 41:

34 - download
11.7 - Physics
41 - Server
17580 - Faces

I've set a number of prims to the 'prim' physical shape (the sides, floor, wheels etc), and everything else to physical shape  'none'. 

I can drive the bus (it's fully scripted) and it works well. But for some reason the physical shape seems to change when i drive it. People can't walk in anymore. It looks like it turned to 'convenx hull', instead of 'prim' physical. 

When i get out as a driver, and the bus isn't physical anymore, it stays at the 'convex hull' settings, and you can't walk in anymore. Only when i select it, it reverts back to the 'prim' mode.

Also, when driving the bus, i can't see what the costs are, i keep getting the loading icon. This is the case in different viewers: Phoenix firestorm mesh and the latest LL viewer (Second Life 3.2.8 (248931). 

Does anybody have an idea what might cause this and how i can fix it? I'll admit right away i'm not an expert on mesh modeling and i'm still figuring a lot of things out. I *thought*  i was on the right track, but this reverting back to convex hull-thing  makes the bus useless.

Thank you in advance,

Owen Lusch 

This wiki page is a bit out of date, but has some relevant information that is still applicable as far as I know.

First, a point about your weights. The server weight at 41 is presumably 41 separate mesh objects a1t 1.0 per objects brcause the linkst is scripted).  That is so high that it is determining the land impact. You should be able to lower this substantially by combining meshes into a much smaller number. You can use eight materials per mesh for texturing. Ideally, you should reduce the number of separate meshes until the server weight is no longer limiting. This is expecially easy for any parts which you are presently setting to physics shape type None, as there are no problems with the physics shapes there.

Second, you will see on the wiki page that a vehicle becomes a dynamic object when it is moved. If you look at the two diagrams with blue squares, they show you that a triangle-based physics shape (M) converts to convex hull when the object becomes dynamic. In contrast, a decomposed physics shape (D) stays available for the dynamic object. A decomposed shape is what you get when you press the "Analyze" buttin on the physics tab of the upload dialog. It is a collection of convex hulls each representing (all or) part of the object. So my guess is that you are using a trianglke based physics shape. If that is the case, try using the analyze button. If not, then it must be something else.

Thank you both for your quick reply, much appreiated

@ Dilbert: Thank you for the link, i've read most of the discussion, and eventhough it didn't solve my issue, it was very helpful to read. Thanks

@ Drongle: Thank you for your reply.

I indeed didn't click the analyze button before uploading the physics shape, that solved the issue! I feel a bit dumb now, but at least i know what caused the issue. About linking parts up to lower the LI: i'll certainly do that! Might take some work, but it should be worth it in the end.

Right now, the physics shape stays in the 'prim' mode when the bus is physical, so my issue is solved. Thanks again :matte-motes-big-grin: 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4408 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.