Multi-colored float text?

Robster Rau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I tried that once, Darkie.  The font used in floating text is not mono-spaced, so getting anything more complicated than a couple of words in different colors is a real bear.  If you try to interleave colored letters, they get all crammed together and look awful.  Still, it's the only way I know of to get more than one color in floating text.

Texture on a particle, perhaps?

I've seen an "NPC generator" that used a single prim that would generate one particle floating above it, with an image of an avatar. Looks fine if your possible angle of view is constrained so you can't look down on it from above. No reason a sign with a transparent background couldn't be done the same way.

The problems with spacing hovertext are as described.  Note that using a different colour per line of hovertext (from separate prims) is quite possible and easy to align.  The only thing to remember if you do this is that blank leading/trailing lines are suppressed.  That is, "\nSecond Line\n" will not work.  The cure is simply to use a space in otherwise blank lines (" \nSecond Line\n " is fine).  There is some variation in how hovertext is handled by different TPV and LL viewer versions.

Using a particle sign is easy and attractive - IF you don't need dynamic text. as everything has to be pre-generated as a texture.  Particles always face the viewer, as hovertext does.  Note especially that using particle signs allows you to set the size, which hovertext does not, using PSYS_PART_START_SCALE.  This setting also has another use - setting the Z value to 0.0 keeps it vertical so that it does not appear to 'tilt' with changes in the viewer's relative altitude (as mentioned in the post above)

[/me waves to the regulars in passing.  I'm not back but I've been messing around with just this functionality recently so it caught my attention]

/me waves back to Peter.

Thanks for the tip about how to use the linebreak -- I knew spaces were important but could never remember quite how it worked.   Now I know for sure.

I second the suggestion about using particles in preference to hovertext if it's possible.   I've recently started doing that; it's so much more attractive and also doesn't show through nearby walls in the way hovertext does.

Yes , all my combat meters have 2 colors, one color for the race and another color for the health stats that changes with the level, lol, see most here have guessed how to do it, you MUST have 2 or more prims exactly the same same size in exactly the same place, then you just add a new line and space to the text above.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4435 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.