Investing in LindenDollars

LulieLu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"et your needs please send a limit review request as described above. Include information about your needs. We'll review your request, and if appropriate create additional limits or make adjustments to the existing limits."

^ but the limits DO meet my needs... I just don't know how to select the business account

LulieLu wrote:

^ but the limits DO meet my needs... I just don't know how to select the business account

You can't select it, you have to qualify for it by having a business in SL.  Once you do, you can call billing support as suggested earlier to find out what other qualifications you need.

Ah thanks... hmm... I don't think I can be bothered to try to run a business.

I wonder what currency trader is. I guess that must be for the ATM owners etc.

Day 2: I tried to sell $100 lindens today again but once again got blocked by the risk API.

I guess I better come back in a month when I believe my account would get upgraded to level 1. Hopefully the risk API won't be blocking everything then.

LulieLu wrote:

Ah thanks... hmm... I don't think I can be bothered to try to run a business.

I wonder what currency trader is. I guess that must be for the ATM owners etc.

Day 2: I tried to sell $100 lindens today again but once again got blocked by the risk API.

I guess I better come back in a month when I believe my account would get upgraded to level 1. Hopefully the risk API won't be blocking everything then.

Due to issues in the past, the Lab tends to be pretty cautious over people dabbling in their monetary system.you might be asking for trouble here...

I wonder if there might be some confusion about the nature of this "investment opportunity."

There's a 3.5% commission on converting L$s to US$s, and price fluctuations on the Lindex are usually quite small.

Also, although the L$ currency has been allowed to appreciate very gradually (and only slightly) over the past couple of years, it is not an unmanaged currency exchange.  Linden Lab constantly dumps new L$s into circulation and removes them through various means (notably stipends and upload fees, respectively), and whenever the value creeps near the Lab's current target, Supply Linden puts huge blocks of L$s for sale at the target price.  So it's not as if anybody can "corner the market on L$s" or otherwise significantly affect the exchange rate.

That said, there have been L$ currency speculators in the past, and I guess it's possible that some may still exist.  If they ever actually clear a profit, they must work awfully hard at it.

• 1 month later...

I think this is an important thing for the game in general. I mean, to know the rules.

What got me interested in SecondLife was a load of articles in newspapers about how people where paying real money for virtual land! This got me interested in general because in real life it feels like there's so much BS in making money, so much regulation.

I believe things are expensive due to market restrictions, not because of liberisation. But perhaps I'm wrong because there has been "problems in the past" as mentioned on this thread. I wonder what those problems were.

This is all of interest to me because I feel money is a big problem in life. But I want to know why. What is it about money that causes these problems. Why does nobody in a corporation agree with the companies actions, yet the company acts as it does? Does money form a network that clumps? Does money communicate negative emotions more efficiently than positive ones?

The first thing I thought I'd try is currency speculation but I didn't think I'd make much money on it, I just wanted an escape from the real world and that seemed like the most assessible option right?

I expect Linden probably has liberal political capitalist leanings but after this probably found it's more difficult than at first thought.

Are there alternative radical philosophical proposals that could implemented in SecondLife? I would much rather see them tested here than elsewhere but of course in order to be tested fully you need separation from the real economy.

I don't suppose we know what's the situation with other games and money?

you wont make much at all buying and selling on the Lindex bc of what Qie said. linden into quantative easing when it suits them which they never admit to. stability of the Lindex is more important to them. so is not a free market mechanic like some RL ones are. linden are quite clever how they manage the spread to make day trading unattractive

is possible to do day trading on the Lindex but you need big amounts to make tiny amounts of profit. like 10s of 1,000s of lindens to make only 100s

if you want to be a Lindex trader and thats all then best to contact linden direct and try to arrange with them for you to do that

+

can always do what Anshe Chung did. she made an estate in SL, a big one. a clothes factory for IMVU. and a bank for Entropia. she also started her own AnsheX for intergames banking/trading. is in beta. can find here:  http://anshex.com/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.