Ripped meshes - How do we responsibly report MP breaches?

Maeve Balfour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's what I think, Chosen:

I think you distributed CBS/Paramount's content without permission. Electric Sheep's license has expired, and all you have to show is some advertising fluff that a company executive uttered during a keynote. There is no "stated fan art policy" whatsoever. Licenses are time-limited for a reason, and if they don't get renewed and you get caught using the IP anyway, the result is usually a C&D. Just like it was in the case of the Frank Lloyd Wright museum.

I also think that this is the reason why you keep changing your story with every post now. First you talked about unofficial content that you made. Then you claimed to have authorization. Now we learn that the authorization didn't exist, not even in verbal form.

I find it amusing that you complain about me not doing in-depth research about you. Apparently you consider yourself some kind of grid celebrity. I don't care who you are; all I know is that you attacked me in this forum when I said I don't bother to report lightweight infringers like you. It seems you are disappointed about the lack of attention.

Well, you have my attention now. Show me that unofficial Star Trek content you talked about in comment #29, and I'll show you the true nature of CBS/Paramount's fan art policy.

Masami, you can think whatever you want.  If anything is obvious by now, it's that nothing I, or anyone, says is going to convince you of anything at all.  Your own assumptions are what you're going to stick with, no matter what.  My only purpose here, as always, has been to try to ensure that enough factual information is present to balance the assumptions and misinterpretations, so that those reading have a fair chance of being able to see what's what.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd all appreciate it if you'd stop attempting to make the discussion about me, instead of about its real topic.  Fixating on me as you are is not only just a little sick, it's simply not what any of us are here for.   That you would even think to frame the discussion in such terms as "celebrity", "attention", etc., says an awful lot about you and the state of mind you're in.  It certainly wouldn't occur to me to look at any of this that way.

Look, we all get it.  You didn't like certain things I said to you in response to your stance on the topic, and you've been in retaliation mode, ever since.  You've made that more than clear.  Time to move on.

As for the Star Trek stuff, you simply have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.  You do not know the discussions I've had with the powers that be, in that regard.  You are 100% ignorant of the work I've done over the years to help ensure that Trekkies in SL can continue to enjoy creating, role-playing, etc., with the franchise's blessing.  If you choose not to believe me, that's fine.  It doesn't change the truth.  That's the last I'll say on the subject.

Chosen Few wrote:

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd all appreciate it if you'd stop attempting to make the discussion about me, instead of about its real topic.

Ooh, you do a good job of that on your own by always trying to have the last word.  Just a heads up, your opinion isn't always backed up by fact, so please don't act like everyone's wrong just because their ideas don't conform to your worldview.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted a 3D model online store to report that one of the biggest sculpt/mesh makers in SL was reselling their very nice content.  I did a search when I saw that the model was a perfect duplicate of a chair I saw in a well know home furnishings catalogue. Just too perfect. Pretty sure some other too perfect models are ripped but I don't know from where.

I must say it is going to be a bit hard to compete with well known SL brands that are reselling professional quality models -- it just takes me too long to make something vs just buying, maybe retopoing, and setting for sale.

• 2 months later...

Man... Some stores are seriously getting out of hand, and even selling them for a hefty price too.. I know LL cant possibly know every detail, but they should atleast put a report button in there somewhere so you can send it their way and they can investigate, as long as you add proof.

Theres a store on the marketplace called Xeno cyber wear, which has armors ripped from Unreal tournament, mass effect, and he/she has been selling these things for quite a while now.. It would seriously suck if mesh got attacked, or perhaps removed because of a certain few incompetent people who cant leave the urge to take others peoples property and sell it as their own.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.