Mesh skins

TransPleasure

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have never seen a mesh skin before. I have seen mesh AVATARS. One drawback of mesh avatars is that, as you've noticed, things like physics and clothing layers don't work on them. Mesh functions as an object, not a layer. With a layer, you can put other layers on top of it. Skin is a "layer," on top of which you add clothes and such. It uses the shape as a frame, and molds the skin and clothes onto that frame (which is why skins and clothing can stretch and deform in some places, like over the shoulders). Physics acts on this framwork. A mesh avatar would be a whole object, crafted into the shape of an avatar, and is basically shape, eyes, skin, and usually clothes all in one. A mesh avatar HIDES the shape and uses instead its own framework. You can add PRIM clothes to a mesh avatar (thought you'll likely have to adjust them, not that that's much different from adjusting prims on a regular shape), but not layer clothes, and physics will not work - mesh (when rigged, at least) moves well in terms of following the joints and contours of the body, but - like prims - does not "bounce" with physics.

You probably bought a mesh -avatar-. Such a thing can only use clothes specifically made for it. Though it can hold and wear items that are objects normally.

If it was an avatar, but sold as a skin - report it. On Marketplace that is one of the categories for making a report - tha the item is not what was avertized.

But if it was advertised as an avatar, then you've gotten what you paid for - but rather than feel like you made a mistake, explore what's been made for that mesh avatar. Usually only going to be a very few items - but they can provide much more detailed themes than a normal avatar look.

TransPleasure wrote:

Understood!

So it will take some time before that type of avatars will be able to choose among various clothing, right?

It will only ever happen if the maker of that mesh avatar themself decides to make clothes for it - or gives out a toolkit for others to, and the avatar becomes popular enough that others indeed do so.

Bascially if you buy a mesh avatar - you only want to buy it for its current specific look, because its locked to that.

Otherwise, get regular skins and shapes, and buy mesh clothes or parts.

There's going to be a difference though with 'partial mesh avatars' - this is coming in the furry scene. Things like just having a mesh tail, mesh head, mesh feet and hands, maybe wings etc... - these are really just 'props' worn on the avatar, so you still have the regular avatar there alongside them, and can keep wearing normal clothes and using normal items.

- So be cautious of any full mesh avatar, but partial mesh ones are good.

An example where a full mesh is good; I have a housecat avatar I bought. Its literally a regular cat. Not a furry, not somethign special - just a lap sized house cat. Mesh is ideal for this because the cat body can animate fully as a result.

I've been seeing a lot of full mesh human avatars on Marketplace. Most of them for X-rated content. But others for 'anime cosplay'. These are basically locked in looks for a special theme. I've seen one human-like mesh avatar that is getting enough attention to have a decent selection of addon customization: the ball-jointed doll mesh avatar.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

How do you get the new mesh avatars to be regular ones?  I just had a friend who used to be on SL and was coming back, quit in frustration beccause when she went to buy regular skins and shapes, it was disastrous.  I didn't know what advice to give her, but I could see why she quit.  How do you turn those ugly mesh avis into regular ones. 

Mary Nuyasaka wrote:

How do you get the new mesh avatars to be regular ones?  I just had a friend who used to be on SL and was coming back, quit in frustration beccause when she went to buy regular skins and shapes, it was disastrous.  I didn't know what advice to give her, but I could see why she quit.  How do you turn those ugly mesh avis into regular ones. 

You do not use the mesh starter avatars - thats it. They were a nice idea on the paper, but completely worthless in practice. Your friend should switch to one of the old starter avatars (you can find them in the libary of your inventory) and build your own style up from that. All shapes and skins will work normaly.

Mesh starter avatars are useless.

The only a bit useful mesh avatars come from inworld stores, where there are appliers to customize the skin and such (but still not as changeable as a standart avatar).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.