Sign in to follow this  
Tillyboy

WHY isn't there a reconnect button?

I don't want to sound like a spaz, but WHY the hell isn't there a reconnect button? I'm sure SOMEBODY at LL once thought about it, so what gives? Why isn't there a reconnect button? Seriously, it's been a common feature on MMO clients since time immemorial.. i'm just stunned and a little peeved whenever circumstances combine to really make me need one. I know it's easy to knock on LL for their complete disregard for anything intuitive or helpful, but come on.. 

I think it's about security.

For some Residents, reconnecting will only place their Avatar back in the same spot that caused them to crash. That would not be a fun loop to be in.

Some Crashes, crash entire operating systems.

Cool down period.

The Server doesn't know you crashed yet.  ( I made about 40 windows and somewhere around the 15th window, I had crashed, but I was still building. When the server finally kicked me out and I relogged, all the windows I had made were gone. ) weird stuff.

Other than those reasons; I support creating a better way to quickly relog.

It's common on most MMO's since the assets are already installed in your PC when you download the game.  With SL those assets reload each time you enter the game.  That's why most MMO's are multi GB in size where the  SL application is around 40Mb.

Thanks for the answers. I had a feeling it was some deep-seated mechanical issue in Second Life that excluded the developement of a reconnect button, but I had to be sure. I feel a little less angry now, which is good because all I really wanted was a decent explanation of why this is apparently such an impossible feat of programming on LL's part. Guess I'll just have to learn to take deep breaths when my internet goes on the fritz. Cheers!

I'm willing to bet the issue is simply one of STATE between the servers and the viewer.

In logging in, the viewer calls Login.  Login checks your password and tells the viewer where to log into.  The viewer then syncs up with that sim's server and connects.  At connect, the avatar's position and orientation are set and known, so the viewer and server are in sync and share the same STATE.

If there is a disconnection, simply pressing Reconnect can cause horrible state issues.  Suppose you crashed crossing a sim boundry, as happens so often.  Which sim are you going to connect to?  The one you left?  Are you CERTAIN the handoff never occured and that sim has your operating data still?  Which sim to connect to?  Making sure that sim has your state datablock or you connect to nothingness?  These are problems you have with any multiple server multiple client system.  SL pours gas on the fire by needing so many server connections at once -- Sim, Money, Login, Asset.

I would like to have the feature of just logging out.

Example:

Instead of a Exit button that closes the entire viewer, there can be a Logout button.

The system log's me out is clearing the memory and after that it brings me directly to the main Login Screen without closing the viewer, where i can maybe change my Start location, and just hit Login again.

I found the present handling and not having such a option relly awkward.

If you want WOW, you know where to find it.  There's other concerns that need to be reset that are most easily done by ending the client anyway.

Tillyboy wrote:

I don't want to sound like a spaz, but WHY the hell isn't there a reconnect button? 

I don't want to sound like I have never played a video game, but I haven't!

What is a Reconnect button?

On SL, you have a menu on startup that will connect you to the place of your choice (Home, Last Location, any other place if you want to type the region name, all your Favorite landmarks...)

I guess "Reconnect" is somehow different than "Login to last location"?

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Yes.  The OP is looking for a button that will reconnect to SL after a forced disconnect.

I still don't get it.  In what was is this different from just pressing the regular old Connect/Login button?

Baloo Uriza wrote:

If you get disconnected, your options are "View Chat/IMs" and "Exit."

Ohhhhh, duuuh!  Thanks.

I was thinking "Oh, you just re-launch the program and you're back where you were."

Yes, it would be a GREAT idea not to have to do so much clicking to get back on.

A RECONNECT button.  On the screen BEFORE YOU (are required to) CLOSE IT!

Brilliant!  (Unlike myself today...)

Still, I think the biggest reason most viewers don't do that is quite a few abnormal disconnections aren't related to network issues, but rather something either designed to, or accidentally, rips the viewer a new one.  In which it's probably best to let the thread end, release that memory and start a session from scratch anyway.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Still, I think the biggest reason most viewers don't do that is quite a few abnormal disconnections aren't related to network issues, but rather something either designed to, or accidentally, rips the viewer a new one.  In which it's probably best to let the thread end, release that memory and start a session from scratch anyway.

It should be possible to do all that and restart the viewer for those "grey screen" events. I don't think a lot of people have problems with one or two extra clicks to restart the viewer though. The viewer should have to do what you describe, so you wouldn't be able to enter the logon screen right away. It would require a restart including fetching cache and all that other time consuming stuff.

Anyway, I think it would be logical to have the option, even though it won't save you a lot of time.

Aah, OK, I wasn't sure if you meant that, or what Windows does when SL manages to trip on a poorly written display driver.  Even so, if the reason for the disconnection was an invalid texture or some other viewer-side bug, the only way to avoid immediately crashing for the same reason would be to quit out and restart anyway.  There's not a good way for the viewer to validate that without loading it, which is why it would crash out on it in the first place.  Meerkat ran into this badly when it implemented a reconnect option.

Exactly, so the reconnect button wouldn't save you any time, just the one mouseclick to close the crashed viewer and a single or double click for loading the viewer again:) Even then it would make sense, but I can imagine LL isn't interested in it.

I was trying to test something and wanted to force my viewer to crash.  So my bright idea was to just unplug my Ethernet cable.  It didn't crash my viewer nor did I close it.  I was quite amazed when 30 seconds later after I plugged it back in to find that I was still logged in and able to continue SL'ing.   Which led me to my assumption that if you get 'disconnected' by the viewer it must be seeing corrupt data that needs to be cleared by restarting it. 

Yes, I know that's not the most scientific analysis but I did find it very interesting.

Sometimes I'm able to log back in when my connection dies (usually because of the land line phone interfering with my dsl), sometimes I'm not. I do not get the screen with "show IM and chat...". Just a nonresponsive viewer.

You do need to wait until SL decides the connection timed out.  UDP isn't a stateful connection, so it'll just keep trying to spray packets until the application decides to stop spraying.

When you get disconnected or manually log off an Avatar, a Reconnect button allows you to log back in without having to completely close and reload the Viewer program.

In order to get a functional "Reconnect" button for manual uses though requires they also invent a "Log Off" or "Disconnect" button that closes your session and goes back to the main screen that appears when you first load up the Viewer.

My suspicion is that the Viewer creates a lot of account-specific memory structures and whatnot that are initialized by many various code modules (subroutines and functions). Since their "Owner" processes or threads are from all over the code, closing and releasing all those is an arduous and annoying housekeeping task that probably does not exist. Thus the Viewer is counting on the Operating System to do the memory cleanup after the program exits. It's a somewhat lazy or disorganized way of handling it, but it works.

Lots of times when I've been slamming massive code out in mind-spurts of a few days, I'll do the same thing. "Ohh, just let the OS clean up after me." But later I have to go hunt down and find all the places that need to be closed out and disposed of without exiting, and then I realize I've painted myself into a corner.

Like I said, that's just my suspicion based on past and personal experience. Someone with intimate knowledge of the Viewer code would have to validate or refute it, but it's a "makes sense" explanation for now.