Where if I buy large motor cruiser 500 prims, may I sail for free in SL ? Or any other FREE SEAS ?

Blandford Lexenstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would like to purchase a motor cuiser, and understand from a vendor there are at least 41 free seas to sail a boat on? I do own a small boat and know of only two seas that  I can rez a boat.

Can anyone, perhpas the wonderful Lindens can advise what, and where i can use a 500 prim boat for free. If not what sims can i moore up at, and how many Lindens is the rent?.. There seems very little I can find out about living on the high seas in a boat? Any advise appreciated.   

4 answers to this question

There are no Lindens here.  Just us residents, like you.  Still, we try...... :smileywink:

The best way to get the answers to your questions is to ask other sailors.  You can get a start by posting your question in either the General Discussion forum or the Favorite Destinations forum.  I'm sure that people over there will have some helpful tips.  Meanwhile, take a look at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sailing_in_Second_Life .  I have no idea how current the information there is, but it may at least point you in fruitful directions.

• Like 1

A 500 prim motor cruiser is not made to be a vehicle.  Just a building that looks like a boat!   See KB article quote below and link for additional info on SL vehicles

--Cinn

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Basic-movement-controls/ta-p/700033

Physical v. non-physical vehicles

Physical vehicles behave according to Second Life's physical rules. For example, if you drive a car over a ledge, it may coast for awhile due to the momentum propelling it forward, but gravity acts upon it until it hits the ground. Physical vehicles must be 32 prims or fewer (see Limits). This prim economy makes vehicle-creators quite savvy and resourceful about how each prim is used in vehicle's overall construction.

Non-physical vehicles can be 256 prims or fewer (see Limits?), including the driver and passengers, each of which counts as a prim. Since non-physical vehicles are not affected by physics, their motion may appear stilted and stiff, although their visual appearance may be more detailed. This generally makes "non-phys" vehicles a better choice for floating UFOs and large warships which don't need to interact with collisions and other kinetic behaviors.

• Like 1

500 prims is VERY large to rez for free. You're basically asking to rez a large house. I don't know of anywhere except some sandboxes that will allow this. As Rolig said, you can ask other sailors and see if they know anywhere. You can also try asking the creator of the boat you have in mind; it's possible he/she would know, since he/she makes large boats and perhaps sails them as well.

To LIVE on your boat and have it rezzed for a long period of time, you'd need to rent land. For that, you could see if you could find an ocean sim with rentals, or a beach sim where you could rent on the coast and change the terrain to have as much ocean as possible, but you probably couldn't do much sailing on a residential sim like this.

• Like 1

1.  Many large yachts in SL are not driveable at all.  These are boat-shaped homes, and can be quite luxurious.  As homes, they need land to put them on.  ("Land" can be "waterland"...a parcel of land that happens to be below sea level.)

2.  A few large yachts are "driveable".  This requires some explanation...

Vehicles in SL...physical vehicles that you sit in and that respond to the SL physics engine...are limited to 32 prims.  More complex vehicles, like a big yacht, are often split into two parts:  the vehicle itself, on which the operator sits, and a much more complex object that the operator WEARS.  This gets around the vehicle prim limitation, but it has a drawback...the two pieces are connected only by the operator, you.  If you stand up from your driving position, the part of the vehicle that is attached to you comes with you.  To see how silly this can look, wear some large object from your inventory on any avatar attachment point.

3.  Many of the SL sailing areas have places where you can rez your boat.  Like most sandboxes, these areas have an auto-return feature.  If you don't get on your boat and drive it away within a few minutes or so, the object will be returned to your Lost and Found folder.

So...yes, you can sail for free in SL.  But no, you can't moor your boat somewhere and expect to find it there the next time you return, unless you buy or rent the land where you tie up.  I rent slip space in the Masocado sim, and can take yachts up to about 35 - 40 meters in length.  Rent for 500 prims would be about $L4,500 per calendar month, just to give you an idea of the costs.

SL boats are like RL boats:  A hole in the water into which you throw money.  Still, it's a lot less money than you'd spend to be a yachtsman in RL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.