Sign in to follow this  
Kaluura Boa

Cheer up, last names are coming back!

Finally, february comes to an end. As promised by Rodvik, the big boss himself, the plan for the return of the last names should be "baked" this month. Hence, we should expect some big announcement tomorrow, last day of february.

Errr... Wait! The tweet didn't say february of what year. Go back to sleep! In fact, I don't think anything will be announced by the Lab in any foreseeable future. Things have a tendency to explode in their face as of late and they are running out of spokespeople. [/sarcasm]

(Damn! No popcorn-eating smiley!)

Rodvik Linden feed:

"Quick update on last names. Just fyi the team here has been working on solutions for this and it is taking longer than we thought. identity is important so we want the ability to have that wonderful shared experience the old last name system had but also not lose sightof the fact that many people really do not want a name given to them, they want freedom to define their identity, finally we want to consider adding meaningful things like titles etc that can be awarded by the community or some other methods. Anyway bit more complicated than initially thought but progress is being made. Will have a baked plan sometime in February we think".

"...we think" :D

My first reaction when i signed up was like... huh? Why can't i choose the name i want. Gosh that was 5 years ago... (unless i was willing to pay 100 US$ duh!) Strangly they then changed to one user name which is even more restrictive. And there we had display names coming to add to all the confusion.

The only thing LL needs to change is making it possible choosing usernames by oneselve at signup, possibly bringing back the dual fielded login screen, and communicate things like the single named users have a default second name 'Resident', or using the alternative login format like firstname.lastname (with dot) or firstname lastname (with a space) for use of single fielded login viewers.

Two names we can choose ourselves would be so much more freedom.

How hard can that be...

CEO rite of passage. Each must out-do the last on honing names and Rod has not yet had his turn.

Predicting that the next one (although I'd like to see Rod stick around) will come full circle and just give us user names with spaces and nix the display names, titles and honorifics (honorifics being held back for Q4 2012).

For now I can live with The Almighty Mr. Dartagan Shepherd (Resi Love Points: 99,999).

Klunitz Aeon wrote:

People are upset about losing last names?

well really they are happy because they will be getting last names like us legendary users..

i'm sad because now we won't be legendary anymore..

1319103236-389_01.jpg

Thats right!! I took his Bacon!! and his spot!!

now they want to take mah legandaryness!! like i took his!!

hehehehe

Never underestimate the power of meaningless titles so one can feel more special than the others around them.  No doubt some will love them.   Those with the titles anyway.  Most others won't care.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Irene Muni wrote:

Rodvik Linden feed:

"Quick update on last names. Just fyi the team here has been working on solutions for this and it is taking longer than we thought. identity is important so we want the ability to have that wonderful shared experience the old last name system had but also not lose sightof the fact that many people really do not want a name given to them, they want freedom to define their identity,
finally we want to consider adding meaningful things like titles etc that can be awarded by the community or some other methods.
Anyway bit more complicated than initially thought but progress is being made. Will have a baked plan sometime in February
we think
".

"...we think"
:D

Someone wants this?  Someone wants residents who do want this?

title.png

LOL

As I said in the Rodvik feeds yesterday: "I do not know what I want with greater force: the return of the last names or that LL don't implement any kind of 'titles', 'ranks', "levels", "Kudos", "I'mMoreThanYou", or whatever. BTW, there is a JIRA against ranks in forums: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3705" :)

I don't think people want 'titles' and those will only complicate things. Complicate scripts, complicate name slots in the viewer and lots of other things. Save the titles for the forums or something, tie it in with kudos, which I still don't know how to give. But whatever.

People want to type in and create their own last name, in a separate space, and not have Resident for a last name. Some people like having a list of last names to pick from. And some don't. 

I don't think anyone ever wanted Resident as a last name or to have to come up with some strangely spelled, long, numeric and symbol using glob of a user name.

Just let people make up their own last names, but restrict it to letters so that the rest of us have some hope of spelling it.

Quote from Rodvik found on SLU:

"heh, nope been very engaged on the issue. I will respond tomorrow in full. I have learnt a LOT about the naming issue why things were changed. It is a very polarizing issue and finding a win / win for those who love naming freedom to those who love the bonding nature of pre picked names has proven impossible to do well. However I do have one feature we can commit to and a discussion going forward about another way to skin the cat. Will update tomorrow in more depth."

I can't say if it's a tweet or a feed post. (I do neither of them.) Can somebody confirm with an URL?

In the meantime, I have a large stock of first aid kits, picks, forks, barrels of natural tar, poultry feathers... and all the brands of popcorn available on Earth and on orbit. 75% discount on March, the 2nd!

Seriously? The lab is about to lose another spokesperson...

I tried every possible way to read this and all I understand is: "Nothing has be done yet. We will throw you a bone to calm you down and you can start arguing... again!"

I'm taking a first aid kit already. Not for the spokesperson but for me. My head hurts. The walls around me are really hard.

Still, I'm totally hooked. What can be that "one feature"? Hmmm...

[insert ROFL hysterical smiley]

Kaluura Boa wrote:

"
heh, nope been very engaged on the issue. I will respond tomorrow in full. I have learnt a LOT about the naming issue why things were changed. It is a very polarizing issue and finding a win / win for those who love naming freedom to those who love the bonding nature of pre picked names has proven impossible to do well. However I do have one feature we can commit to and a discussion going forward about another way to skin the cat. Will update tomorrow in more depth.
"

I can't say if it's a tweet or a feed post. (I do neither of them.) Can somebody confirm with an URL?

See the Rodvik feed: https://my.secondlife.com/rodvik.linden/posts/4f285951be9e8f0001002204

Kaluura Boa wrote:

"
heh, nope been very engaged on the issue. I will respond tomorrow in full. I have learnt a LOT about the naming issue why things were changed. It is a very polarizing issue and finding a win / win for those who love naming freedom to those who love the bonding nature of pre picked names has proven impossible to do well. However I do have one feature we can commit to and a discussion going forward about another way to skin the cat. Will update tomorrow in more depth.
"

A smell a backpeddle...

Impossible to do...

Oh well...

What's the next shiny?

And WTF with posting on that third party board anyway and not his own company's space? Oh NVM - I see he posted it on his feed, not over on that other place.

When he says "polarizing issue" one thing that comes to mind are cultural differences.  I am of course assuming by this statement that it is not just the technical issues. 

Different cultures do have different naming protocols. I believe in the Middle East I'd be 'Perrie bin (son of) Juran.  In the Far East I'd be Juran Perrie. 

And there could still be people who want only a first name.

In a lot of places in the States, I'd be "hey you" or "Dude," or occasionally "Sir."

Regardless, "polarizing" seems to me to be a very strong word to use.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

When he says "polarizing issue" one thing that comes to mind are cultural differences.  I am of course assuming by this statement that it is not just the technical issues. 

Different cultures do have different naming protocols. I believe in the Middle East I'd be 'Perrie bin (son of) Juran.  In the Far East I'd be Juran Perrie. 

And there could still be people who want only a first name.

In a lot of places in the States, I'd be "hey you" or "Dude," or occasionally "Sir."

Regardless, "polarizing" seems to me to be a very strong word to use.

My assume is that all the polarizing is within LL.  Consider this convo:

Linden #1 - We have to put the last names back in play.  It was a mistake to remove them.

Linden #2 - No it wasn't

Linden #3 - Was so

Linden #2 - Wasn't

Linden #3 - Was

Linden #2 - Was not

Linden #3 - I told you this would happen

Linden #2 - Did not

Linden #3 - Did so

Linden #1 - (Polarizing Issue)

Maybe some members of the Board are upset that they are wasting money on this?

You can explain a lot of what goes on at LLs I'd guess; with this:

http://gawker.com/5885196/the-tech-industrys-asperger-problem-affliction-or-insult

- Decisions made on individual over-focused passions instead of thought for community/customer impact.

Which that little 'am too' 'am not' thing makes me think of.

Of course in SL, we've also got a tech-geek culture among the residents that seems to be even more severely afflicted than the Labites.

To be continued... here!

This will be my last post on the subject. Rod's post really infuriated me. I knew from the beginning that the Lab would follow its usual pattern: "You don't like what we propose, let's discuss". Long silence while the whole issue inflates beyond all proprotions. Then: "Here is what we will do, just get used to it". But it this case, things are worse because what the Lab will do is nothing.

How lame!