mesh prim counts confusion

jingle Keys

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok i am a total noob with mesh - i bought a full perm mesh model to use in builds it was of a chair - the creator said it was 20 prims, when i look at the model it only has 6 actual prims that make the item - and the land impact says 38 and shows as 38 prims on land prim counts - a) was the original creator lying about the prim count and how does it get from 6 items to 38 prims - really confused lol sorry i know im a total noob

jingle Keys wrote:

was the original creator lying about the prim count and how does it get from 6 items to 38 prims - really confused lol sorry i know im a total noob

Mesh isn't counted per object, but the landimpact is calculated by the complexity of the object. So a linkset of 10 prims can be "worth 5 prims" or it can be "worth 100 prims".

In other words, a landimpact of 20 is perfectly normal for 6 objects. If you scale it up, more people will see more complexity, so landimpact will go up aswell. If the seller says 20 prims though, it should be 20 prims worth and not 38. Did you add a script to it? Did you unlink the object or change anything else to it? Were you supposed to link the objects but forgot to do so? Those things can change the landimpact.

i'll try to explain it according to my experience.

how ever many separate parts the mesh object is made of, that's how many "prims" it is listed as having on the edit object window. in other words if it is 6 separate meshes linked together then it is made of 6 "prims".

then comes land impact next to it.

that 6 prim object can have a land cost of, say, 20 prims. depending not only on complexity but also size. in other words with mesh, the prim count says how many separate pieces the object is made of and land impact is what it is actually going to cost in prim usage.

just last night i uploaded a horse made of 1 mesh(prim) it was huge in size, the land impact was 38 prims. i shrunk down the size just as one would using the edit tools and the land impact went down to 5 prims.

so it is all relative. i could sell that horse (with mod rights) and say it is 1 prim and 5 prim impact. but if the buyer makes it bigger the land impact will increase. if they don't understand how it works they can think i lied to them.

now it may in fact be they misled you but without enough facts it's hard to say.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4434 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.