Anyone else have unexpectedly low sales between 2/6 and 2/26?

Myrylyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My store has typically made about $100 US a week, but the last three weeks: $51, $39, and $30.

I'm a fairly small, new store (6 months old) so I don't know about the seasonality of sales in Second Life yet. I am very worried that my work has been copy-botted. I was finally to the point where I wasn't eating kim-chi for every meal.

All that being said, I'd love to join an in-world Second Life group that discusses commerce, marketing, et cetera... I'd love to learn from people and share the wee bit I know as well.

=<';'>=

Myrylyn Shin

Frenemy Fashions

Not too shabby! :)

There's a Second Life Commerce Merchants group in-world, the more or less official group.

Someone posted a bunch of resource links for merchants not long ago I believe, but I don't see it. Maybe someone else knows where that is.

There's also a private forum called Merchants Roundtable that you need to get an invite for but it doesn't see much action. Not sure if that's something they still accept requests for invites to, still.

Sales do fluctuate, due to many factors. I notice a slight upswing at the start/end of the month which is when (I guess) some people (?US users) get their monthly (RL) salary. There's also a bit of a traditional slump in northern hemisphere summer.

But apart from that, the greatest effects I see are from my inworld marketing efforts and releases of new products.

Whew, that's reassuring. If I had to point to any one thing slowing down my sales, it's that I took a break from producing new products. Perhaps not appearing on the "new" list was what killed my profits. Even so, $30 US a week would make most people happy, I think. :)

Myrylyn wrote:

Whew, that's reassuring. If I had to point to any one thing slowing down my sales, it's that I took a break from producing new products. Perhaps not appearing on the "new" list was what killed my profits.

Well not only that, but each new release should unleash a chain of marketing events. You should be announcing to several inworld groups that cover your market, starting your own subscriber mail list of people who wish to be kept informed up new products, sending samples to bloggers for review, listing on forums/blogs that publicise new content, coming up with promotional events that suit your market, etc etc.

Word of mouth can take it from there, but it has to start somewhere. :)

Btw if you're looking for marketing ideas, check out the reading room in my inworld shop - i've got a collection of posters there with links to online marketing articles with info that can be adapted to SL.

Ziggy21 Slade wrote:

The last week has been pretty dreadful for me, but prior to that things were fine, I put it down to monthly pay packets, especially at this time of year when everyone is skint

February is always a stitch up too if a person is paid by the hour due to it being a shorter month.

Personally, sales have been ok for me this month with a dip around valentines which happens every year as I don't do seasonal or holiday content and I assume my customer are off spending their L$ on novelty valentines crap in one of those silly shops that looks like a cake or something. :smileyvery-happy:

Porky Gorky wrote:

I assume my customer are off spending their L$ on novelty valentines crap in one of those silly shops that looks like a cake or something. :smileyvery-happy:

Thats totally unfair - none of my Valentines crap can be described as novel.

It is my dream that one day all SL stores will look like cakes, this will encourage sales amongst those that choose not to purchase from The Marketcake 

안녕하세요

Why would you not want to eat Kim-chi with every meal? Kim-chi is yummy. I'm actually jealous.:catsurprised:

Seriously tho, LL messed up the Marketplace and, ever since, we have had some irratic days. In my case, it seems that every Monday is a complete dud day for sales. Beyond 1 or 2 bad days per week, my overall sales are trending up.

Do stipends still get paid on a Tuesday? Maybe a % of people run out of L$ over the weekend and wait till Tuesday to resume shopping.

Or

Monday can be a busier work day for allot of people as they catch up from the weekend or try to start the week running, so they spend less time on the MP shopping for animations and more time doing the work they are paid to do. I hate days like that.

Well, that all may be true, but what I'm talking about only started the day before valentine's day. So, that was a monday and was a terrible shopping day. Then, last monday we had another issue with the Marketplace, and sales were bad again. Then, this week. So that is 3 mondays in a row that are bad, but this never happened like this before. I have no idea, beyond the problems we had, why monday is now all bad, but it is definitely a pattern. At least, for me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.