What are they thinking?

Aebleskiver Thibedeau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is an issue that I've been puzzling over for a long time, but at the latest events it's gotten a bit out of control.  Does anyone know why creators put out demos covered with so many "DEMO" labels you can't see the product?  Are they trying to stop people from taking photos without buying?  I can't think a demo would be more subject to copybotting than a purchase, so what gives?

Whatever they're doing, it's short sighted.  Please, creators, don't put dark boxes around hair demos, don't replace every feather on an outfit with a "DEMO" label when the piece of clothing is already clearly marked DEMO several times over, don't plaster "DEMO" every two inches over a bag.  I need to see this stuff to tell if I want to buy it.  Ya know?

it's annoying, and I'd not buy their product because of it even if it did look nice in the demo and screenies.

I think it's done under the assumption that most people would just use the demo instead of the commercial version, or want outfits solely for a few screenshots before never using them again (true for freebies, but I for one am not going to spend hundreds or thousands on an outfit without carefully weighing whether I'll use it more than occasionally).

It's more than likely just a way for them to ensure that noone will steal, copybot, or try and alter their product.  With the increase in copybotting (or so it seems) lately, I can't say I blame them much!  It would be nice if there was a way though to make it so the product you are demoing is much easier to see and still ensure that the designer will not be stolen from.  I definitely can understand your frustrations.  I'm sure it's also really frustrating for designers who spend countless hours on an item, only to have people somehow use the demo instead of the actual product, or have it stolen from them! :( 

Um, I'm not sure I follow your reasoning here, Harlow... Demos are *always* No Mod even when the purchased version is Mod, and by popular wisdom that would make them less likely to be copybotted than more. But even if it were true, couldn't a determined copybotter just purchase one copy of an item, and copy it? I mean, supposedly they are going to make gazillions? Would that alone deter them from copybotting?

I have nothing *at all* against creators protecting their designs, but I don't see how distorting demos to the point of them making useless to the consumer helps. I really don't. But I'm perfectly willing to listen if someone can tell me how it could work.

I think the fact that they provide demos at all is great.  I have never had an issue with the texture being off since I can see that in their images, it's the fit I am looking and demo's give us that.  Some do a lot and some do a little with regards to tagging Demo on their items but the fact that they took the time to create demos is to me heads above those who don't.

Skins are different story all together and the best skins in game, are pretty cautious about too many demo marks.  If it offends you or you find it a nuisance, find another creator who doesn't.  That's the beauty of a free market.

I think the OP ideas about putting the word "Demo" everywhere is probably the reasons they do it. I cannot not speak for all creators, but I'm sure if people can get around purchasing the full version of an item they would. If a demo item can be photographed with out much effort then there are those who would rather buy the demo then the full version. Creators rather the customer buy the full version then using the demo as unintended like for photos, etc.

I'm sure they also mark "demo" so it can be clear that it is one. If the word "demo" was so subtle that you could get away with wearing the demo of an item there are people who would do just that.

To put it short, because they're paranoid/stupid.

Do people honestly think putting a few demo textures will prevent people from copybotting? Textures contains no scripts, and even scripts can't prevent copybot effectively. It is beyond easy to buy/steal a few hair textures and simply replace those annoying demo textures. It is 99% nuisance for the customer and 1% nuisance for the copybotter. Another annoying thing is when designers put excessive demo prims, some even lock the demo items in weird poses so you can't even walk around when wearing the demo. These "protective/paranoid" measures to make sure they pixels aren't stolen are completely useless and only turns lots of customers off from buying the product.

Simple and effective ways of putting demo signs.

For prim-type accessories (hair, clothing, boots, etc):

- Simple demo box over the head or transparent demo box with "demo" written on it that encases the object

For skins:

- A strip that says "demo" on each cheek or one strip over the forehead, and one strip above the chest, no need to cover the entire body in demo signs because how the heck are we supposed to see the texture on the skin?

Anyways as for the stubborn creators who sells no trans products and refuses to provide a demo (it takes like a minute to attach a demo sign to a product), I hope you're all happy losing customers. Not going to name any names here but I've experienced cases where stuff that should definitely have demos (hair, shoes) didn't have one, I politely asked for one, and got a rude reply back that hints I'm stupid for asking a demo.

I really appreciate creators who allow us to have demos. It's a great service, but puts them at risk if they do not take steps to protect themselves.

Copybotters are cheap and lazy. That's why they do what they do. They will not pay for anything, and will not make the effort to photoshop out the word "demo" on items if it's too hard. And as Shelby  mentioned above, the SL world is full of "samplers" who love to take bits of others work and reassemble them into their own textures. It happens constantly in the skin business.

Creators are not stupid for taking reasonable measures to stop their work from being stolen. They are doing something entirely within their right. Usually these steps are taken after balancing the options and deciding what minimum actions will allow them to best serve their customers while still allowing them to protect their rights and continue in business. If they can't do this, there will be no point, and you won't have any nice shops to shop in.

I just think creators are being safe than sorry.  There are a lot of cheapskates out there that will wear a demo if the wording on the demo is subtle.  I see it happen all the time.  I am really appreciative of any designer who takes the time to make a demo, and if it's covered in demo marks and such then so be it.  

One thing I do get frustrated by though, are demos that have a bunch of particles, flashy extras that create lag, or the big boxes around them that make it impossible to cam in to see the product.  I personally rather have the text all over the demo than those two other added frustrations! 

But again, I'm just glad designers take the time to create the demos in the first place. :) 

I wonder if you are being a bit fussy...i never had problems trying demos and trust me i've tried hundreds LOL....I'm just grateful when creators offer demos for their products and if someday i find a demo covered with so many "DEMO" labels (like you said) i will assume that creator is not idiot and probably have a good reason for it. Really, why complain about so silly things?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3863 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.